News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 23, 2024, 04:46:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Four cylinder fuel pumps....  (Read 2877 times)

Offline eagledreamer

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 3
Four cylinder fuel pumps....
« on: July 31, 2011, 04:38:18 PM »
I confronted that problem of a bad fuel pump on my four cylinder Kammy. What a pain in the toosh! After unbolting this and moving that, I finally found the fuel pump... After seeing what it was going to take to get it out I said to heck with it and went down to O'Reilly's and got an electric fuel pump. You can't even see the back bolt on the fuel pump let alone get out or in. Sooo... I mounted the new fuel pump in the back, in the hump, right above the tank. Piece of cake... Took the line from the fuel pump to the carburetor off and made a bypass, added a new inline fuel filter and waaalaaa... Back on the road again... Questions??? Ask... Sorry, Haven't got any pics right now... Have an Eagle Day...  :0) 

Offline Jurjen

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
Re: Four cylinder fuel pumps....
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 04:51:57 PM »
Great job, I was thinking of doing that for my I-6, because of the advantage of having fuel pressure before you start the engine.
What kind of pump did you use? I guess a low pressure (7psi) in-line one?
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline eagledreamer

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 11:07:55 AM »
G'day,

You're right, it's a low pressure pump, but i didn't pay attention to the brand. I'll see if I can find the box and get back to ya. It cost about $45 at O'Reilly's. It's a pretty easy install. I ran power from the wire that supplies power to the distributor so when the ignition is turned on it powers up the pump. I might do it on my other Eagles when they need a pump.  :0)   

Offline siguy8

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 10:26:04 PM »
It's a quick fix, but I've learned it's not a very long term thing. The previous owner put a $50 pump in before selling it to me. It worked like a champ for about three months. Then I bought another one and it lasted another few months. Now I'm running on a $200 one. So far so good, but I don't completely trust it yet. When mine died, it seemed like there just wasn't any gas getting to the engine... Almost seems obvious, but I thought it was a carb issue for the longest time.

Good luck! Hopefully you'll have better results than I did.
1982 SX/4 Sport 4 cylinder 5 speed manual. 135k miles.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk