News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 06, 2024, 05:40:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Conservative Speedometer  (Read 3985 times)

Offline hanajack

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
Conservative Speedometer
« on: June 24, 2011, 03:36:55 PM »
Always been fascinated to see a speedometer turn major numbers.  So was watching to see my '84 Eagle turn its first 80,000 mi.  It refused!  Although it continues to turn the tenths, it has stopped between 79,999 and 80,000.   

Will it work itself out of its stubbornness?

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
Re: Conservative Speedometer
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 11:51:51 PM »
Ive never heard of that happening before....I wish my truck I traded in a while back did that....I would have gotten alot more for it if it showed 60,000 instead of 260,000 on the odometer....not that I would do that  ::)
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 12:50:49 AM »
My Eagle's odometer stopped shortly after I bought it.  Actually I drove it for quite awhile like that.  Actually my spedometer did not work either.  Not long after it quite I noticed a few drips of transmission fluid on the ground when I would stop the Eagle.  From what I remember there's a cable that connects to the transmission it controls the two gauges.  Once that was reconnected the odometer and spedometer started working again.
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 01:00:06 PM »
Maybe, and maybe not. I've seen digits get stuck occasionally, but hopefully you didn't break the little tab.

I'd pull the cluster out and see if a few drops of a light oil on the odometer make it work. It should be disassemblable.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline hanajack

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 02:56:41 PM »
Since the speedo and the 10ths work it must be the gears or the "tab" [? which is what?].

Wouldn't be too excited about taking the cluster out.  What's involved?

AMC lifer

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 10:38:21 PM »
 :help:                                                                            :help:                                                                  :help:

The removal of the cluster is not for the novice.  It does take time & care that the plastic doesn't crack.  These instructions arefrom the AMC service manual M.R. 254 (the thin one).

Disconnect the battery negative cable.
Cover the steering column to protect against scratching.
Remove the lower steering column cover.
Unscrew the speedometer cable connector from the speedometer (Or unclip depending on Year/ model of car).
Remove the  bezel attaching screws across the top, above the radio & behind the glove box door.
Tip the bezel outward at the top & disengage the tabs along the bottom edge.
Unplug the glove box lamp connector if equipped. (This step may not be needed)
Push down on the three illumination lamp housings above the bezel until the lamp housings clear the instrument
     panel. (At this pint take a flat blade screwdriver & run along the edge of the dash to assist in coming apart.)  Be
     careful notto crack plastic.
Disconnect the headlamp switch & wiper control connectors & switch illumination lamp.
(don't you just love how AMC layers the dash panels.)
NOTE: Lift the two locking tabs to disconnect the headlamp switch connector.
Twist & remove the cluster illumination lamp sockets.
Disconnect the instrument cluster connectors.

At this point, if you have have any burned out dash bulbs, now is the time to replace them. If one is out, replace all so
    you don't have to do this again.

Now add a few drops of oil as suggested earlier.

To install:

Connect the instrument cluster connector.
Install the cluster illumination lamp sockets.
Connect the headlamp & wiper switch connectors & switch illumination lamp.
Align the tabs at the bottom of the bezel with the openings & raise the bezel. It may be necessary to press down on
    the illumination housing for clearance. Do not push the bezel into final position.
Connect the glove box lamp wires, if removed.
Push the bezel forward into the installed position & install the screws.
Connect the speedometer cable & tighten securely. 
        (At this point, it was easier for me to get the cable to engage in the speedometer, I placed the end of the cable
          in the back of the speedometer & drove it about 1/2 block for the cable to turn & engage itself. Then I
          tightened it.)
Install the lower steering column cover.
Remove the protective cloth, connect the battery, reset clock if needed.

Did I mention that some of this may involve you laying on your back at the foot pedels so you can reach behind the dash.

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 11:13:00 PM »
I'd pull the cluster out and see if a few drops of a light oil on the odometer make it work. It should be disassemblable.

Thanks Ben, I love it when people introduce me to new words, especially ones that are very useful.  Is the opposite re-assemblable?   :rotfl:
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline hanajack

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 03:00:48 PM »
Wow!  Piece of cake! 

Actually, I think it will be necessary to build up my energy reserves, start stretching exercises and mentally prepare for the effort.

Who would think one needs to get into the glove box to get at the speedo.

Thanks for the detailed instructions.

AMC lifer

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 09:51:34 PM »
After a few times taking apart the dash for various reasons, it becomes easier.

I got so good at taking the dash apart in my old Pacer that when the speedo cable needed to be replaced, the guy would not do it unless I came to assist.  By the time he got under the car, & got the cable disconnected from the tranny, I had the dash apart & was asking him what is taking so long.  By the way, the Pacer instrument cluster was much easier to get at than the Eagle.

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 12:52:36 PM »
I think there's a little tab on each number that advances the next number on a revolution. That's simplifying it a bit.

Taking the console out of the dash is a pain in the butt. Just be slow and patient, and you may have to loosen the speedometer cable hold-downs under the car to get some play. I had to work on my speedometer cable several times.

There is a section in the TSM about setting odometers, so you can always swap another one in if you have to.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk