News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 13, 2024, 08:13:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: fuel milage  (Read 3250 times)

Offline WFO386

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
fuel milage
« on: April 23, 2011, 05:23:30 PM »
i have already put on a bigger air filter and cleaned the carb,I've put a couple bottles of the Lucas carburetor/fuel injector cleaner in (as recommended not the whole bottle that treats 100 gallons) and is removed some carbon from the exhaust but other than that I'm getting maybe 12 mpg  any suggestions or methods that work would be awesome since gas is going up

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
Re: fuel milage
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 06:57:50 PM »
a HEI or TFI upgrade to the distributor will help ya a little on the fuel miliage http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=35398.msg281773#msg281773 here is an awesome writeup from member shaggimo on a fairly simple HEI swap
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 07:51:45 PM »
If you're running the stock carb you have to make sure all of it's functions are working. The carb is usually the number 1 problem with poor MPG with the carbed vehicle.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 08:15:57 PM »
Keeping the plugs cleaned and replaced as needed is also a help.  Changing the distributor cap every couple of years as well.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline WFO386

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 03:54:46 PM »
what did the hei mod accomplish?did it make it run at a different temperature or what?i have never messed with a cars wiring b.c. i don't want to mess it up,i read the write up and couldn't make heads or tails of it

Offline MontanaEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 04:05:47 PM »
I did this upgrade, it's a little simpler than the HEI one

http://www.amceaglenest.com/images/Downloads/MIU.pdf

It's helped me get a mile or two per gallon better and seems to fire a bit quicker.  No new wiring needed really (just spark plugs and 8mm wires), just swapping parts.
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon (Soon to be for mountain fun times)
1997 Honda Civic (Daily driver in the winter)
2009 JM Star Scooter (Daily driver in the summer)
2010 Schwinn Hybrid Bike (Daily driver in Spring and Fall)

"It may be too early to drink scotch, but it's never too early to think about scotch"

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 10:03:15 PM »
A wideband O2 sensor kit may help. You'll need to weld a bung into your exhaust and pay for a sensor box, but you can move it between cars if you want.

You'll want to have someone else drive and you can watch the readout, then go to your carb tuning book (I mentioned that too, right?) and modify your carb to be slightly lean at cruise and not too rich at idle or under acceleration. A little trial-and-error later and you have it set!

If you change carbs on your car, it's really the right way to do things. I'm saving up for one myself, and they keep getting cheaper.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk