News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:14:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Eagle Automatic Transmission  (Read 92433 times)

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Eagle Automatic Transmission
« on: May 09, 2004, 09:48:05 AM »
Its real simple:  All 6 cylinder Eagles used the Chrysler designed AMC configured 4WD version of the TF 998 and 4 cylinder Eagles used the AMC configured 4WD version of the TF 904 -- though the jury is still out on the 4 cylinder cars as some have been found with TF 998's (many 4 cylinder cars came with manual transmissions). 

Six cylinder Eagles also incorporated a lock up torque converter from 1980 thru 1984.

The only direct fit auto for the Eagle is the AMC 4WD TF998 or 4WD TF904.

Other applications which can be installed and will require minimum of modifcations are the AMC confingured 4WD TF 727 or TF 999 from a Jeep.  

A Jeep AW4 from behind a 4.0 will bolt up to your 4.2 but it too will require some modifcations.  Such as to the floor pan and drive shafts.

Other AMC autos can be used, but require replacing the output shaft and some other mods and then installing the 4WD adapter.  YOU CANNOT PUT THE CHRYSLER VERSION IN YOUR EAGLE -- DIFFERENT BELL HOUSING.  YOU MUST USE THE AMC CASE.  The internals exchange easily, but the exterior, again, is AMC only.

The AMC TF 998 was only used behind the 258 only in the Eagle but was used in, in its 2WD version, behind many AMC V8's in cars starting from '72 except that some HD applications which got the TF-727.  All other 258s in 2WD cars got the TF-904. 

The 998, as compared to the 904,  has a larger front servo, 4 pinion planetaries and a double warp rear band. This was the original lock up converter tranny.  It can be indentified from the 904 by the two external ribs on the case above the rear servo.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 12:37:24 PM by IowaEagle »
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Spudz76

Re:Eagle Automatic Transmission
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 01:33:01 AM »
The 727 from a Full-Size Jeep with 258 works fine in an Eagle as well.  I swapped one in cuz the Jeep was wrecked anyhow and the 998 in my SX/4 was toasted (DON'T FORGET TO ADJUST YOUR BANDS, SOMETIMES, UNLESS YOU LIKE ALUMINUM AND STEEL SHAVINGS).  No modifications necessary except the filler/dipstick needed some adjustment to clear the firewall (actually, the 998 tube fits, just a tad loose for my taste - but a new grommet would help that out).  Makes for a slightly more truck-like ride, as the 1st gear is not as low so it takes away some off-the-line.  But, even though it's bigger, it fits fine.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 09:15:25 AM »
Thanks for the info on the 727 being a no-brainer -- if the dip stick issue is the only difference I would call that a "bolt in".  I have corrected the orginal post to reflect this.  Do you have the years that work for this application?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 09:19:58 AM by IowaEagle »

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

a.reginato

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 05:59:30 PM »
Hi all, I'm fairly new here.  I just bought an '83 AMC Eagle (Burgandy 4 door Sedan) , but the trany is cooked badly (nothing else wrong with the car).

> All Eagles used the Chrysler designed TF 998

> All other 258s in cars got the TF-904

I just want to be sure I read the first message correctly -  a freind of mine has two AMC Spirit's, one of which is a parts car with a good tranny.  I was hoping I could pull the tranny out and simply bolt the transfer case on and bolt that into my Eagle.  But if I read the first message in the thread correctly, I take it the Spirit has the TF-904 tranny - correct?

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 07:17:09 PM »
Yup -- the Spirit would be the 904.  It will work, and I probably should mention that above, but it is a light duty transmission -- the reason the 727 was mentioned is because it is a heavier duty trans.   If your core is still good I would really recommend getting it rebuilt by a reputable tranny shop.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

a.reginato

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 08:49:56 AM »
Yes, that would be the best thing to do.  What the problem I'm having is 3rd gear and reverse don't work.  But the case is in very good shape, and the fluid is a nice red color.  Maybe it's just a simple band adjustment that needs to be done (crosses fingers), but I know nothing of the Torque Flyte trany's or how they work (I'm finding information slowly, and awating on getting a copy of the AMC service man).   I'm fearing the worst.  But first and second gear work great with no slippage.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 09:00:30 AM »
It could be some gunk in the valve body too.  Although I am not a big fan of Mechanic in a Can products -- Trans X is a reputable product and was recommmended to me by an old time AMC mechanic for the rotten AMC built Renault I had -- they were noted for balky trans and annual usage of that stuff did "tune it up" and get rid of some of the shifting issues.  Of course it is not a fix for worn out parts and seals.   It is kind of pricey, but might be worth a try if you feel OK about using such products.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

a.reginato

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 02:10:01 PM »
Well, I borrowed my freinds Tech manual (wrong year (1981), but still most stuff will be applicable.  So I started the diagnostics and found out I'm missing the kick down linkage for the trany (ahhhhh!!).  So I'lll be getting one this weekend.  In the interm, I started up the car and had a freind sit int he car while I manualy held the kickdown in place.  Low and behold, the reverse engauged.  It's slipping a bit now, but it is working nonth the less.  So as soon as I fix that, I'll do a fluid flush, replace the filter, and adjust the bands and see where I end up when all is said and done. :)  Thanks for the assistance so far. ;D

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2004, 05:52:01 PM »
I think you saw, in the TSM, the importance of the kick down linkage and how important it is that it is properly adjusted.  Your friend's 81 TSM should be OK.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

a.reginato

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 04:22:17 PM »
Okay, I picked up the missing kick down link (off an 81 Concord).   I have my fingers crossed.

a.reginato

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2004, 06:21:30 PM »
Okay, I installed the new/used linkage, adjusted it up, changed the filter and fluid, then adjusted the bands.  Seams to have fixed the last of the trany gremlins!  ;D

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2004, 07:14:11 PM »
Great!  So I take it you have all 3 forward and the TC locks; and you can back up as well?

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

a.reginato

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2004, 07:37:59 PM »
Yep, all is good now (some more Murphays law). :)

Spudz76

Re: Eagle Automatic Transmission
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2004, 04:11:40 PM »
Sorry I sort of forgot about this after my post about the 727 swap.  The 727 I used was from an 82 Cherokee (FSJ) which had a 258 in it, though any 727 from another 4WD 258 powered AMC product should work just the same.  I am about to swap a 727 from an 86 Grand Wagoneer (FSJ) which was originally bolted to a 360.  So far it seems it should work OK, but only if the flexplate has the dual bolt pattern otherwise I guess the torque converter won't bolt up.  My 87 has the extra holes, and I was told anything after around 85 should.  The 6-cyl converter such as my first swap works no matter what since it shares the same mounting pattern as the 998.

You cannot however use the 998 converter with a 727, they are very different in more ways than one (seal size, and the lockup vs. non-lockup).

Also the other AMC cased 4WD trannies like the 999 used in Wranglers and such should also fit.  Note that newer Jeeps use the AW4 (30-40LE) Aisin-Warner four speed auto and those don't fit as a bolt in.  But I have two of those which once I figure it out will be going into Eagles.  So far they seem to be just the same except 4" longer, so new driveshafts would be in order and it might not work out so good on the short wheelbase models (thus wagon or sedan only, no Kammback or SX/4 - but I shall see) since the rear shaft might be too much angle if it's much shorter.

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
Re: Eagle Automatic Transmission
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2004, 01:57:47 AM »
Spudz76 howa the swap going?
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk