News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 26, 2024, 11:41:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Removing mechanical fuel pump  (Read 9479 times)

Offline bobs81sx/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Removing mechanical fuel pump
« on: March 01, 2010, 09:12:42 AM »
What is the best way to remove the fuel pump on an 81 sx/4?  I have 151 iron duke and mechanical fuel pump. cross member appears to be in the way to approach from bottom, carburetor(rochester) in the way from the top.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: Removing mechanical fuel pump
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 07:00:25 PM »
WOW!  It takes about 15 minutes to R&R one on an I-6.   The Iron Duke is another story.   Maybe someone has an easier way that what the TSM suggests: 

Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Venosho

• Sterzinger Automotive
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 08:20:51 PM »
WOW  :o that looks like heart sergury  :'( I feel for ya man that is going to be quite the project ???
Click for Phoenix, Arizona Forecast" border="0" height="60" width="468
'75 JEEP J20 401 quadra-track 4wd (The Beast)
'81 AMC Eagle (the Monster)
'82 AMC Eagle Limited (oem HEI upgrade) (Copper Bopper)
"82 AMC Eagle SX-4 (Baby Girl)
'85 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE (drifter) 13b-T wide body kit project
'92 JEEP Cherokee Sport 4.0 HO (Mom's ride)

Offline bobs81sx/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 08:45:44 PM »
what is the engine holding fixture step 9 refers to?
There has to be an easier way to do this. This is really going to suck.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 06:47:12 AM »
Someone mentioned an electric pump.  That might be a whole lot easier.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline bobs81sx/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 09:20:09 PM »
going to buy an inline electric pump tommorrow. $42 cant argue with that the mechanical is only $25 but the two days of taking my engine apart and back to get access is well worth the extra $20. If I stretch it out the job make take an hour or so.

Offline HappyPappy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 11:10:25 AM »
When I changed mine, all I did was drain the rad, removed the alt, then you can access the fuel pump. All that other stuff is from a dealer ship working on the car!! You can use one of those wobbly extensions or a , I  call them wiggily's , universals. You can use either 1/4 or 3/8 drive. Make sure the new pump is the same flange as the old one. I ran into that the last time I changed mine. There was a little extra lip on the back side of the housing, didn't find it until after struggling with it for awhile. Took me about an hour, start to finish. I think the dist cap is harder to change then the fuel pump. Amazing how they can build a car around a motor. Good luck. Happypappy

Offline bobs81sx/4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 10:00:43 AM »
If I change to an electric pump, what pressure does the pump need to be? According to Chiltons manual pressure should be between 7 1/2 and 9 psi. It seems to be hard to find a pump that delivers that high of a pressure without getting an expensive race pump.

Offline nwamcsx

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 12:52:24 PM »
If you decide to replace the mechanical one take a close look at the flexible line going down to the fuel tank hard line.  It kind of snakes around some of the bodywork and has a piece of protective wrap around the line.  Mine had worn through and had developed a leak.

Offline siguy8

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 09:56:53 PM »
If I change to an electric pump, what pressure does the pump need to be? According to Chiltons manual pressure should be between 7 1/2 and 9 psi. It seems to be hard to find a pump that delivers that high of a pressure without getting an expensive race pump.

I'm curious, what is the correct pressure I should use with an electric fuel pump?
1982 SX/4 Sport 4 cylinder 5 speed manual. 135k miles.

Offline siguy8

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 09:29:03 PM »
Ok. So I've been running the electric fuel pump(s) for about a year now. My gas mileage is below 20 mpg, and the previous owner said he was getting 30+ originally. I think something's awry. My exhaust always smells a lot like unburnt fuel. Is there something that would cause this that I'm missing? Also, what would it take to go back to the mechanical fuel pump (besides the heinous job of replacing the pump)?
1982 SX/4 Sport 4 cylinder 5 speed manual. 135k miles.

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 08:42:43 PM »
Sounds like you need to regulate your fuel pressure to lower it quite a bit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk