News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 12, 2024, 02:10:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Operation: Busted Knuckles  (Read 18371 times)

Offline brentsydlik

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
Re: Operation: Busted Knuckles
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 05:19:40 PM »
well i finaly got the intake and exhaust manifolds off this past weekend. took them both into work with me today and cleand them up real nice. got rid of some unwanted junk off of each. now when i feel like braving the heat again i will go put it all together. What are all the sensors on the intake for an 87. the two in the water ports more precisely. one at th front and one at the back. I assume one is the temp sending unit for the temp gauge and one is the sending unit for an temp idiot light?

Offline brentsydlik

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
Well its slow progress but progress none the less. Got the intake and exhaust manifolds back on but the muffler shop lost the front pipe section that i gave them to copy a new one. so its open manifold for today. put the non feed back carb on from the other bird. removed the ac pump and other components. Never been a big fan of ac in a car. got to use the alternator bracket and belt from the other eagle to make it all work w/o the ac pump. i didnt like the bondo patch i made for the opera window so i pulled all that out and i will do some real body work to fix it instead. I removed all unwanted vacumes(again) but i have two vac lines that run to some vac/elect. switches or sensors or something on the inner fender that run wires to the control module. dont know what they do... suggestions? the other car does not have these.

Offline philotomy

• Northeast Kingdom, VT.Eagle
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
  • AMC guy 'till the day I die
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 09:01:05 AM »
Iv'e wondered if there is a chance I could take off the ac compressor and just run a belt around to the crankshaft pulley,but I think there's a bolt that needs to be removed,not sure so my ac is going to remain on the motor.The Eaglepedia should have the vacuum diagrams your'e looking for,they changed a bit over the years and with different equipment too I imagine,I have a few on mine though its been changed to injection.The 88 I own has a ton of vacuum lines all over it so I'm not messing with anything (some are controlled by temp then open up like on your air cleaner).
Philotomy,(my old  D+D Hobbit character) noun,pronounced "fil oto mee",but you can call me Don
1987 Eagle station wagon 4.2 mpfi

Offline brentsydlik

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 09:48:46 AM »
mine is the 87 so im sure its just like yours. lots of lines running lots of crap that i dont need. Pretty sure i got everything but the ones the got to the control mod. but i wasnt thinking of those when i went apes#!t removing lines.

Offline brentsydlik

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 05:05:03 PM »
hey guys... long time since ive posted anything. ive been really busy. and yet nothing has been done to either eagle in a month. Well hopefully i can get back to it. Ive spent most of my time this past month getting everything ready for my largest project to date. MARRIAGE. Yeah i know. another one bites the dust. But thats ok. Ive lived with my captor for the past 3 years so i know what im doing. And go figure... she knows im building an eagle and she still said "I do" so thats gotta count for something huh.

Offline brentsydlik

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 11:06:49 PM »
well... went kinda nuts this weekend. started out with just pulling the good wheels and tires off of the brown car and putting them on the tan car. removal of the wheels revealed new drums which then revealed brand new shoes and hardware and wheel cyls. I wasnt looking forward to the extra effort of swapping everything but i figured itd be a good idea.

So Saturday i finished the brakes up and bled them out. Had to change some lines too but thats ok. I cut out and replaced the rust hole behind the opera window. Put the window back in and finished tieing up some loose ends under the hood. I replaced the entire cowl section where the rusted out wiper arm hole was. Just painted it black and pop rivited it. (Race inspired, looks cool) pics later.

Sunday i washed the car and cleaned it out. Finished installing the temp gage and the amp gage, i still need to get the oil pressure sending unit out so i can put the fitting in for the o/p gage. Stole the exhaust pipe from the brown car and installed it on the 87. Long story less long, the car is running and driving. Wont seem to go over 160 degrees. The timing is off and i still have some cosmetic stuff to tend to but shes realy coming along.

Offline jim

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 01:31:54 PM »
"well... went kinda nuts this weekend"
The next time you feel a "nuts" spell coming on drop by my place.  I can
offer some therapy in the form 2 Eagles for you to work on. ;D
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline brentsydlik

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 11:06:31 PM »
i hear ya...

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 05:10:04 PM »

HI    Brent sounds like you really went nuts I am glad you had all those new parts to put on your car
             I am glad you have her going .now the fun starts ....if you get a chance stop by ...later Don
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

Offline brentsydlik

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2011, 11:34:45 PM »
hey don, as soon as i can get my charging problem figured out, ill swing out with the knuckle buster. Ive tried both of the alternators from both cars and its still not charging. I did yank the vacume wires that go to the module box... doubt that has anything to do with it.

Offline brentsydlik

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2011, 12:01:21 AM »
hey don...might swing out your way tomorrow afternoon. if thats alright with ya.

Offline doneagle

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2011, 05:49:12 AM »

HI     Brent thanks for stopping by your lady bird is looking good and sounds good she perrrrrrrs .....
                   when i get better i will come down and see you ......later Don
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

Offline brentsydlik

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2011, 07:15:39 PM »
well... pretty much done. for now anyway. these things are never done. but its finally pretty reliable.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2011, 08:08:52 PM »
Good to hear.  :blob1:
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline doneagle

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2011, 09:52:48 PM »

That is good to hear....HI Eaglefreek ........later Don

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk