News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 02:45:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: few questions for a new eagle owner  (Read 2915 times)

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
few questions for a new eagle owner
« on: January 14, 2012, 01:24:35 AM »
I have a question, Just received an 84 eagle which i love  :blob1: the sole van didn't move so i took the vacuum off from that plugged the line and used my "anti dieseling screw" as the curb idle screw set it to 600 rpms when cold. But even before this the car seems to idle a lot higher like 1000 rpms when it warms up. any ideas to this? and another question, how can i tell if the pervious owner did the ECM Test bypass? all the wires are so neatly in the wrap that i can not tell. The metering pins are in the full rich position all the time and do not seem to move, the car smells like its running rich. I live in NY so no emissions  ;D. and one last one the transmission when it shifts to 3rd is rough, first and second are fine. Auto trans. I know its in the fuel topic but i didn't want to make so many posts, Answer one or all three, anything helps thanks!

ps. sorry didn't see the question and answer  section. Next time  :-\
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 01:31:22 AM by 84eaglelmz »

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: few questions for a new eagle owner
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 09:30:19 AM »
If they are in the full rich about 30 seconds after starting the engine, cold, then the ECM might be bad.  Is the feedback plug still plugged in on the back of the carb?  Someone could have just disconnected it there.  Does you sole vac have an electrical connection too?
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 02:12:09 PM »
Everything looks like its still hooked up besides there is a t on ported vacuum going to the distributor and where it orginaly came from is capped. And yes the sole vac has a wire going to it even with the other idle screw it still seem to rev higher wen warm. And the screw dont change. Any ideas to what is doing that? It engages into gear harder reved up. I dont want to ruin something.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 02:40:58 PM »
Have you set the idle rpm when it is warmed up?  Unplug the wire that runs to the sole vac to see what happens.  If the needles remain on rich after warm up then the issue is in that system.  You should hear a distinct "Click", from inside the cabin after about 20 - 30 seconds of starting a cold engine.  That is the ECM starting to adjust the needles.  If you hear a click but the needles are still full rich then it could be a bad feedback motor, a disconnected wire, or ....?
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk