News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 10:01:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bouncy Fuel gauge  (Read 6058 times)

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
Bouncy Fuel gauge
« on: January 05, 2012, 01:30:03 AM »
I need a sanity check on this one.  My fuel gauge bounces around in my 87 Wagon.  I have been trying to come up with a solution on replacing the sender but then I got to thinking maybe it has something to do with being fuel injected now... I don't think this matters but I need a sanity check here.  Thanks.
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
Re: Bouncy Fuel gauge
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 01:43:40 AM »
I believe the reason they bounce so much is because they did not use baffles in the tank to keep it from sloshing so much. Mine really only bounces a lot once it gets below 1/4 full. New cars also use the ECM to send an average reading to the gauge, so that when the gas sloshes around, the gauge doesn't bounce like the ones in our cars do.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 01:59:22 AM »
Mine has been doing that for a while now. I haven't had reason to address this as it hasn't been an issue until this week. Somewhere in the month I'll drop the tank, replace the sending unit with a modified float and try again. If I'm lucky I'll finally get rid of this Carter garbage and pick a nice Motorcraft carb. I would go with fuel injection but I have enough problems as is and I don't need something else that can strand me when this car dies every 3 miles.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 09:10:15 AM »
Check gauge ground wire AND the tank sender ground wire.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 10:35:40 AM »
X2 on grounding
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 03:47:19 PM »
There should be a capacitor as part of the gauge wiring to dampen the fluctuations. If the gauge is accurate, but moves quickly in a small range with the sloshing then it's the capacitor.

Depending on the type they can burn out internally or they'll swell up and the connection will open.

Edit: I might be wrong on this...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 12:00:10 PM by BenM »
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline brentsydlik

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 08:43:35 PM »
where would i find this capacitor?

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 11:59:48 AM »
Ok, I might be wrong on that. I've never pulled one apart myself.

After more research the Eagle probably uses a grease or mineral oil in the gauge that dries out. The capacitor would be inside the gauge itself and require disassembly, and so would replacing the grease.

Those are the four basic ways to dampen gauges. Some sending units have enclosed floats with little holes to prevent fuel sloshing around the float. Others like ours have the lever style we have there is no practical way to dampen the sending unit, so it has to be in the gauge. There's the capacitor method to even out the electric signal, and some new cars just use the computer to even it out.

If you want to build your own, then I'm seeing a 2,000 mf between the sender line and a ground being recommended. A capacitor is in essence a small storage device and a big one like that will even out the signal by charging and discharging. I haven't done electric component math since college, so I'm not going to claim I verified that.

There are two kinds of gauges, one that's heated by a bi-metallic spring and another that uses two opposing magnetic coils. The spring style needs no dampening because of the rate it heats and cools. The magnetic style moves quickly on its own unless dampened, and can vibrate if the voltage regulator (CVR) on the cluster is bad.

There is definitely some kind of dampening involved, but it's apparently something they don't want you to know about. I can't even find that mentioned in my TSMs. They go from the CVR vibration, which can be slower then you think, to the "Fuel gauge wavers over rough road" as a "normal condition", which is way on the other side of the problem.

If you have what I have, that the fuel gauge continues to seek around the actual level due to sloshing after a stop, or quick movement, but not noticeably on level highway or when the car hasn't moved for a few minutes, its the dampening in the gauge. I just want to clear that up in case I might be misinterpreting your symptoms.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 12:23:51 PM »
No visible capacitor just wire wrapped around who knows what. here is the gauge itself doesn' really show alot.

My gauge can bounce on one of mine sitting still right after getting started in park when its under 1/2 tank.

Manitowoc WI

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 11:40:06 PM »
If you have what I have, that the fuel gauge continues to seek around the actual level due to sloshing after a stop, or quick movement, but not noticeably on level highway or when the car hasn't moved for a few minutes, its the dampening in the gauge. I just want to clear that up in case I might be misinterpreting your symptoms.

This is exactly what mine is doing.  It bounces all the time for me because I drive in town and stop and go and turn and all that so it is constantly jumping and it had started to irritate me enough to ask...
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 12:37:13 AM »
Check the grounds for your clusters.  I just took the time to correct this same problem on mine as it finally hit that last nerve.  On our clusters, the ground for the fuel and engine temp gauges are linked to the ground for the turn signal indicator lights.  In my case, which sounds probably like what yours is doing, when the turn signals were turned on, the fuel and temp gauges would accordingly bounce up higher and higher from the lights seeking a ground and fall when the signal canceled.  The problem stems from the way the circuit boards are connected to the electrical wiring.  On the back of your cluster you will find a bunch of little metal pins, in a striaght row behind the fuel and temp, and circle between the fuel and speedo.  These metal pins are pushed in through the printed circuit and merely split on the other side and spread apart like the back side of a rosebud rivet.  As age would indicate, they weaken and come loose and cause this problem or cause your indicator lights to dim over time.  In order to fix this, you simply need to get a small screwdriver and scratch some of the protective film off the circuit going to the loose pin right by the base of the pin, hold the pin in the poper position, and solder accordingly.  I even put a little solder on the still tight pins so I wouldn't have to go back in the future.  After reassembly my lights are back to being bright and all gauges and indicators work like new and my fuel gauge only dips or rises when taking hard turns again.  I also took the liberty to clean my clear cluster lens while I was at it, well worth the time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk