News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:29:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ignition Switch, Cylinder, or Rod?  (Read 2704 times)

Offline win32exe

• Doom Crew Inc.
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Yee Ha!
Ignition Switch, Cylinder, or Rod?
« on: June 17, 2015, 08:28:26 AM »
Team, i just picked up another Eagle ! 81 SX/4, i'm going thru it now, only had it a couple days and just yesterday i noticed the key wouldn't turn it over when i went to the start position, so i wiggled the 2 small wires at the starter relay and she started, yay problem solved, ...then i noticed that the key was not turning smoothly, to the point i could barely turn it to get the key out, i had to grab it best i could and give all i got, i thought i was going to break something, but it slowly and painfully went back to the Off position and i got the key out, so, is it the Ignition Switch, Cylinder, or Rod? or some combination, and whats the best\easiest way to troubleshoot, i have never had to work inside the steering column, i'm hoping i don't have to pull the steering wheel.  :-\

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 11:52:44 AM by win32exe »
1983 Eagle SX/4
1967 Plymouth Belvedere

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: Ignition Switch, Cylinder, or Rod?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 04:18:43 PM »
I'd guess the ignition switch has fallen apart inside.  Easy to get to - on top of the steering column under the dash.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Ignition Switch, Cylinder, or Rod?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 11:39:16 AM »
The ignition slider switch (the electric part) may be corroded inside. Went through that a few times. It's about a $15 part new. Tilt is different than non-tilt.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk