News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 17, 2024, 11:52:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Under column ignition switch replacement  (Read 6805 times)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Under column ignition switch replacement
« on: June 18, 2014, 10:42:46 AM »
Hey guys how hard is the removal and replacement of the under column ignition switch?

My eagle fires right up but dies as soon as the key is released to the RUN position so it's gotta be that switch, right?
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
Re: Under column ignition switch replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 10:45:51 AM »
It is fairly easy.  You may have to loosen the column bolts to lower the column, but that is not hard.
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 12:30:17 PM »
Hey guys how hard is the removal and replacement of the under column ignition switch?

My eagle fires right up but dies as soon as the key is released to the RUN position so it's gotta be that switch, right?
Zoro, before you replace the ignition switch make sure the wiring is OK between the switch and the ignition coil. To test use your multimeter and set it to ohms. Disconnect the switch under the column. Look in the back side of the ignition switch connector and you should see the metallic connector pins. Place one of your multimeter probes against the metallic pin attached to the yellow wire.

Disconnect the ignition coil and the radio interference capacitor. Have someone place the other probe from your multimeter on the positive side (yellow wire) of the ignition coil connector. While both probes are connected take an ohms reading. If your meter reads greater than 1.40 ohms there is a wiring fault between the ignition switch and the coil. A new switch will not cure the problem.

If your resistance is correct reconnect the switch and coil. Leave the radio interference capacitor disconnected. Try to start. If the engine starts and stays running after you release the key the radio interference capacitor has gone bad. Leave it disconnected and drive the car. It's not required.

If it starts but dies when you release the key check the coil. Again using your multimeter, measure resistance across the primary terminals of the coil. It should read 1.13 to 1.23 ohms. Now pull the center wire out of the coil and measure between the center terminal inside the coil tower and either of the primary terminals. It should read between 7700 and 9300 ohms at 75 degrees F. Readings outside these ranges indicates a bad coil. :eagle:

1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 09:59:42 PM »
You will have to scrunch yourself up so you can lay on your back on the floor of the driver's side.  Not comfortable, but not hard.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 12:59:25 AM »
You can unplug the wires at the connector (2 plugs) and put the new one in and use a screwdriver to operate it to test your theory without taking the old switch out. If that doesn't work, then the resistor wire has burned out between the switch and + on the coil or the ignition box. You can also check the coil +, the "I" terminal on the solenoid and the 2 wire connection on the ignition box for power. I think it's the Yellow on the box that is resistored power in and the blue wire goes to the ignition switch and S terminal on the solenoid so it gets power while cranking.
   On Fords with this same setup, the diode on the yellow wire coming in would blow out and the "limp home" mode was to jumper the blue and yellow but you usually get only another 100 miles before it dies completely. Those colors are from memory and may be Ford and not AMC colors.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 03:43:07 PM »
Friday I go to start the Eagle and it's still acting up.

SO...

I change the coil and it fires right up...YAY, not so fast. I hooked the old coil back up and the car fired right up again like nothing was wrong... :censored:

SO...

I change out the under column switch and notice the switch and harness were slightly melted. Repair the wiring, new switch installed and it ran like a champ all weekend.

Fast forward to this morning and it's acting up AGAIN. Fires right up but stalls when the key is released. I always keep a brand new spare ignition module in the car so I plugged it in and the car won't even sputter as the engine cranks. By this time I was seriously late for work so I took the Jeep.

I get home this afternoon and for the helluvit I plug the old ignition module in and the car fires up...REALLY?!? I'M GOING TO KILL YOU CAR!!!! :censored:

It did sort of do the same thing at first and took several tries to get started but I was able to take it for a drive no problem.

Only thing I can think of that I haven't tried yet is the pickup in the distributor...What do you guys think?

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 03:44:53 PM »
I probably should note that this car has had the ECM Test bypass performed and the carb is electrical but the wires are disconnected. The computer and it's associated terrorist regime are all either eliminated or disconnected.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 01:15:28 AM »
I'd go HEI and never look back! LOL! Actually, something in your system is taking too much power, which is why the harness was melting around the switch.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 08:01:22 AM »
I'd go HEI and never look back! LOL! Actually, something in your system is taking too much power, which is why the harness was melting around the switch.

HEI is in the plans as is 4.0 injection.

Awhile back the electric choke wire popped off and ground to the carb and melted some wires. That's what's up with the ignition switch.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 09:02:02 PM »
Is the switch actuator rod correctly adjusted?
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 02:07:53 PM »
Is the switch actuator rod correctly adjusted?

Seems to be.

I drove it all over creation yesterday and parked when I got home. A little later on it started raining so I went to start it(rain seems to be one of those things that aggravate the issue) and it fired right up, ran for 10 seconds and stalled. Every time I tried to start it after that it would fire right up and stall. Popped the hood and jiggled the wiring harness on a whim and then it started up like normal.

I'm guessing it's some sort of wiring issue now between the firewall connector and ignition module. There was a short on that stretch of wire last year which I repaired and replaced using solder and heat-shrink tubing. Guessing the solder job might have cracked somewhere...yay

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk