News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:36:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Exhaust Hitting Front Driveshaft  (Read 616 times)

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
Exhaust Hitting Front Driveshaft
« on: January 11, 2024, 05:27:40 PM »
Winter swooped in two days ago and immediately I discovered a new noise under the car when I switched into 4WD. The exhaust is striking the balancing weight on the front propeller shaft. It wasn't like that back in the fall and I don't recall hitting anything that could of bent the exhaust. I checked the hangars and didn't find anything skewed. The manifold flange is also still solid and I can't wiggle the exhaust so I can't tell what has shifted for me lose that half inch of clearance.
The only other weird thing I found underneath was my driver's strut rod bushing had come apart. The shop must of backed the nut off when they were either replacing the control arms or doing the alignment and forgot about it, but I don't see how a completely loose strut rod would cause anything to sag and flex the exhaust out of position.

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
Re: Exhaust Hitting Front Driveshaft
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2024, 08:34:35 PM »
Assuming the front propshaft is in the correct orientation, w/wide-diameter, slip-yoke section of propshaft at the rear?  (Image from '82 service manual attached...)

Winter swooped in two days ago and immediately I discovered a new noise under the car when I switched into 4WD. The exhaust is striking the balancing weight on the front propeller shaft. It wasn't like that back in the fall and I don't recall hitting anything that could of bent the exhaust. I checked the hangars and didn't find anything skewed. The manifold flange is also still solid and I can't wiggle the exhaust so I can't tell what has shifted for me lose that half inch of clearance.
The only other weird thing I found underneath was my driver's strut rod bushing had come apart. The shop must of backed the nut off when they were either replacing the control arms or doing the alignment and forgot about it, but I don't see how a completely loose strut rod would cause anything to sag and flex the exhaust out of position.
Current Project: 1983 Eagle Wagon 258
Past AMC Project(s):  1979 Spirit Liftback 232
                                1968 Ambassador 287

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024, 02:02:22 AM »
Motor mount shifted/squashed/dissolved?  Loose motor mount bracket?
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 11:17:41 AM »
Assuming the front propshaft is in the correct orientation, w/wide-diameter, slip-yoke section of propshaft at the rear?
Yes. It was out early last year for U-joint replacement and it was fully inspected to make sure it wasn't bent or installed backwards. It was inspected again in October to make sure the SelectDrive was still working for the Winter, having not really been used for months.

Motor mount shifted/squashed/dissolved?  Loose motor mount bracket?
Got an easy way to check that? When the engine was pulled last year for the rebuild I asked if they wanted to take the chance to install new mounts and was told there was no need because they seemed fine.

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2024, 02:37:56 PM »
Nope.  Seems to be no data in the manuals as to exactly where an engine should be sitting if everything is fine.   Might have to blame the problem on Gremlins!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2024, 07:53:53 PM »
Though they're a pain to get to, it may not be a bad idea to put a wrench on the (2) vertical 7/16-14 bolts with 5/8" hex heads that secure the front differential housing to the engine-mounted bracket, and then check the bracket-to-engine 3/8-16 bolts as well.  Just to make 100% sure that the front axle/differential isn't walking around at all.  If you're looking for something loose with the car sitting on its front suspension, a loose part may be partially loaded and not entirely obvious that it's loose.

Don't know, just thinking out loud...

David

Nope.  Seems to be no data in the manuals as to exactly where an engine should be sitting if everything is fine.   Might have to blame the problem on Gremlins!
Current Project: 1983 Eagle Wagon 258
Past AMC Project(s):  1979 Spirit Liftback 232
                                1968 Ambassador 287

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2024, 12:57:14 PM »
I can give it a try once my jack thaws out. The last weekend was hitting -30c and it was absolutely brutal on anything I left outside (eagle started fine though.  :P)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk