News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 18, 2024, 10:56:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flashing Headlights.... just read it.  (Read 23922 times)

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • Midwest AMC Eagle Sanctuary Game Warden
Re: Flashing Headlights.... just read it.
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2010, 09:08:41 PM »
you might not see much change in intensity, but more a change in angle. even if you pull in facing a wall, you can check if the beams go up and down, and then check aim later on. as for adding a relay for fogs, if it aint broke  dont fix it. if youre still using the OEM marchals like i read somewhere, you may just be seeing what 25-30 yr old lights are capable of. but check the beams with the wall, then check the aim on a dark road at night (my favourite way) or use the chart, if you can find one.

Yup, I think you're right on all accounts man. The foglights have been majorly cleaned so they are like brand new glass and they have brand new bulbs... just not that bright and they may not be as bad as I think simply because my headlights are pretty bright and they just kinda over power them.

As for the brights.... the low beam fixtures are changing, so I assume that when the hi-beam fixtures kick on.... all of them must be in "hi-mode". They don't seem as bright as before because they are aimed really really bad right now and shooting way too high and spread apart. Once I get them homed in... they should work great.

I noticed this because I could see the tops of trees from about a half mile away, LOL!

I need to see about upgrading my original marchall foglights... I'd like to swap out the fixture for the bulb so that I have more options... so I need to figure out where I can find the "best" foglight bulb and then get a fixture from there. Rig it up... run it through a relay... and then see how bad@$$ they are. Alot of the newer foglights are using actual headlight bulbs.... the bulb inside these old foggers look like glorfied 194 bulbs.... which are the same bulbs in our side markers.

I'll post more as I go along.... once everything is nice and bright, I'll be posting that full-write up with an easy step-by-step guide.
Its got style... its got class...
It goes the extra mile... and still kicks @ss.
Strength. Intelligence. Beauty.
The AMC Eagle
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
81' AMC Eagle Sx4 (My very first car, The Millennium Eagle)
82' AMC Eagle Sx4 Sport (Custom General Lee Style)
85' AMC Eagle Wagon Sport (My Daily Driver)
00' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (The Grocery Getter)
And a plethora of other parts cars, and future restoration projects:
80 Wagon, 82 Spirit, Two 83 SX4s, 84 Wagon, 85 Wagon and more!!

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2010, 08:50:37 AM »
You do realize fog lights are not supposedto be bright right. Your starting to talkabout offroad lights

Manitowoc WI

Offline amcinstaller

• Installer, Mechanic, Who Knows.....
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
  • So That's Like A Cross Between A Pinto And A Vega?
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2010, 10:29:09 AM »
yea, simpson is right. the most youll see (if you can, might not see around the hood) is the ground directly in front of you light up. fogs are supposed to stay below the fog, more or less. that way the light doesnt just beam you back in the face. what im thinking is that the lenses on your fogs are all clouded up with age, and the reflectors on the inside are pitted and turning black. i dont know quite what your looked like but i found a set that looked alot like factory (same size and shape only chrome) from a local excess supply store (princess auto, i dont know the american equivalent, or if they might be down there) bolted right up and made a world of difference on my 92 kee.

(<--- holy crap, 1001 missed my 1000)
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
1980 AMC Spirit GT  Restomod In Progress
1998 Dodge Stratus  Boring DD With Loud DD Bass
Liquid Audio Styling and Sound
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline EaglePilot

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2010, 02:01:15 PM »
Yes, fog lights are only supposed to be on together with parking lights, otherwise they are wasted.
In heavy fog you are blinded if anything bright shines into the fog and is of course reflected back to the driver.
Real fog lights used to be yellow to penetrate the fog better and to be reflected back less than white light.

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • Midwest AMC Eagle Sanctuary Game Warden
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2010, 06:31:49 PM »
Yeah I understand all of that... lenses aren't dirty. I pulled them all apart and cleaned them - they are like brand new. I have them aimed to be used as traditonal foglights as well. Just still thought they'd be brighter. I guess I'm just used to the Jeep and Blazer.

I think they are working just fine... just an old light that isn't as bright as I expected.

Now my issues have spread... time for a new post for this one though...

Its got style... its got class...
It goes the extra mile... and still kicks @ss.
Strength. Intelligence. Beauty.
The AMC Eagle
81' AMC Eagle Sx4 (My very first car, The Millennium Eagle)
82' AMC Eagle Sx4 Sport (Custom General Lee Style)
85' AMC Eagle Wagon Sport (My Daily Driver)
00' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (The Grocery Getter)
And a plethora of other parts cars, and future restoration projects:
80 Wagon, 82 Spirit, Two 83 SX4s, 84 Wagon, 85 Wagon and more!!

Offline Hawk258

• Theoretical Customizer with Dilutions of engineering greatness
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • With Great horsepower comes great FUN!
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2011, 06:55:20 AM »
Bump! I think this thread needs a sticky! As more people will want to do this conversion! I know I am in the process of it myself (IN THE FUTURE!) Big thanks for the diagram to BTW! EPIC info.

Ingenuity through stupidity, Do something stupid and through Ingenuity you will find a way out of it.

1981 AMC Eagle (Currently in need of a bellhousing OR the project to iron it's self out)

1982 Subaru Brat White (Daily driver inheritence from mom ((Don't worry mom I won't break it))
other prior vehicles include:
1985 Dodge (OMNI) charger
1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit
1982 AMC Eagle wagon (Was going to be parts car)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk