News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 16, 2024, 03:37:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flashing Headlights.... just read it.  (Read 23889 times)

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • Midwest AMC Eagle Sanctuary Game Warden
Flashing Headlights.... just read it.
« on: August 19, 2010, 10:36:31 PM »
Ok, so I bought the aftermarket headlights on ebay. They are set up so that you can actually swap the bulb out rather than replace the whole thing. Well, I had to buy two sets because our Eagles run four lights.... highs and lows.

The bulbs that came with the headlights were the dual beams.... meaning one bulb had the hi and low beam.

One beam has a two prong connector and the other has a three prong.... ok... still with me? So what I did was just break the third prong off for the one that only had two. This worked fine for awhile, but my hi beams were just as bright as my low beams, just different angles.... AND instead of all four beams on, only two at a time came on full-blast while the other two were very dim. Obviously this is a problem.

So I went out and bought brand new Silverstar Sylvania Ultras... for the beam that had three prings... I simply set up a two-prong, but wired both hot wires together so that this bulb would always be on as intended.

This worked great.... when I had it set to low beams.... I had just the outer two bulbs on. When I hit the hi-beams.... all four came on bright.

The problem is that after awhile of being on.... they start to flash. I am having a power issue... like there's not enough power to power all four beams on high.

I don't know how to fix this.... the bulbs are the ones that have a silver ring around them on the base and they a pressed down by a metal spring kind of thing. The dual beams and the ONLY type of bulbs theymake for this type of setup.

I want my new headlights.... they are porjectors. But how the heck do I make these dual bulbs work!!?? And how the heck do I explain it... because I know your lost because I had a really hard time just getting that much out... *sigh*
Its got style... its got class...
It goes the extra mile... and still kicks @ss.
Strength. Intelligence. Beauty.
The AMC Eagle
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
81' AMC Eagle Sx4 (My very first car, The Millennium Eagle)
82' AMC Eagle Sx4 Sport (Custom General Lee Style)
85' AMC Eagle Wagon Sport (My Daily Driver)
00' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (The Grocery Getter)
And a plethora of other parts cars, and future restoration projects:
80 Wagon, 82 Spirit, Two 83 SX4s, 84 Wagon, 85 Wagon and more!!

Offline dkoug

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
  • 85 Eagle Basic
Re: Flashing Headlights.... just read it.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 11:37:40 PM »
my un educated guess is that the additional current is causing the (some of) the wires to heat up and cause resistance to the current.  Maybe a heavier guage wire in the right part or all of the circuit??????????///

Just a thought, I had a real nice 51 ford pickmeup with the 6 volt battery that would die on a corner and not start until it cooled down.  After numerous fixes that did not work. 

Replaced the Ground to the Battery and never a problem again at the suggestion of Paul Manchure in Kelowna.

Pays to know a old high school hot rod guy.

dkoug

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 11:43:00 PM »
You might try installing relays near the headlights so there isn't so much current loss going through the wires all the way through the headlight switch and down to the lights.  This could be another one of those problems requiring Jurjen to chime in lol.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 11:53:02 PM »
You might try installing relays near the headlights so there isn't so much current loss going through the wires all the way through the headlight switch and down to the lights.  This could be another one of those problems requiring Jurjen to chime in lol.
I think I have him on the relay track and how to wire them in ........ It's like being on the operating table with a doctor on the phone telling another doctor how to perform open heart surgery 
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 12:53:47 AM »
I think I have him on the relay track and how to wire them in ........ It's like being on the operating table with a doctor on the phone telling another doctor how to perform open heart surgery 

Sounds like a scene from Young Frankenstein...
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline EaglePilot

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 04:04:51 AM »

I'm sure there are relay/s - there "always" are, but make sure they are HEAVY DUTY, not standard.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 06:38:34 AM »
If I remember back about a year ago I suggested you leave your high beams as is as you were pondering installing these lights -- as that is the proper way to do those set ups.  However the mad scientist and his brother ignored the sage advice from me and the other village people nearby. 
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

wagoneerhauler

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 08:36:09 AM »
As far as it being legal or not to have four high beams on I'm not sure what the law is in Illinois.  I do think that would be illegal in NY though.  But the others are correct about needing to add some high current relays to the mix.  You will burn out the headlight switch soon otherwise.  This may also cause the wiring and plug to the switch to melt too.  By using the relays only a very small current will be going through the headlight switch (much less than originally even) and the switch will last many times longer.  You may also notice that the lights will be even brighter.

Offline amcinstaller

• Installer, Mechanic, Who Knows.....
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
  • So That's Like A Cross Between A Pinto And A Vega?
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 09:15:05 AM »
i think i replied to this problem of yours in another thread? yes, add the relays, use the light powers for your trigger wires (the 85 or 86), hook battery power to your 87, and the light to the 30. the location of the battery power and light can be reversed without issue. the flashing is the built in ciruit breaker in the light switch.
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
1980 AMC Spirit GT  Restomod In Progress
1998 Dodge Stratus  Boring DD With Loud DD Bass
Liquid Audio Styling and Sound
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 05:33:08 PM »
i think i replied to this problem of yours in another thread? yes, add the relays, use the light powers for your trigger wires (the 85 or 86), hook battery power to your 87, and the light to the 30. the location of the battery power and light can be reversed without issue. the flashing is the built in ciruit breaker in the light switch.
Hey! I just learned something new about relays ...... thanks
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline amcinstaller

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
relays are somethin that scare alot of people but the easy way to think of it is that its a powered switch to turn somethin on or off. ill try to draw or find a picture in a bit. here we go:

and heres mine:

so on the sides are 86 and 85. these two are the "trigger wires". you will use these two to turn the relay on and off. when power and ground is applied to these leads, they will power an electromagnet to switch the contacts inside. polarity doesnt matter on MOST relays, some have a diode, but they will be marked as such on the case, and the polarity does matter on those.

down the middle is the 87, 87a, and 30. as you can see from the first picture 87a and 30 will be connected inside while the relay is at rest (not powered). hence the "a" on the 87a. when you power the relay coil (85 and 86) the 30 will then join to the 87, and when power is removed, the 87a and 30 will be rejoined.

i may add to this later, but ill leave it off here for now
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 09:58:52 PM »
Huge help... I understand HOW the work now and the reason behind them.

Still kind of fuzzy on figuring out which wire is "in" and which is "out"m but I think I can figure it out.
The AMC Eagle

Offline amcinstaller

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 12:09:46 AM »
if you want i can draw how id do it. id use two relays, maybe even one pair for each side, depending on the lights.
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 09:39:15 PM »
if you want i can draw how id do it. id use two relays, maybe even one pair for each side, depending on the lights.

Yeah, I'm thinking of using a relay for each set of lights.... but one for each light? Interesting. It surely wouldn't hurt of you were to draw something up for me :) I thnk I've got it, but I'd rather be safe than sorry and fry stuff out.
The AMC Eagle

Offline amcinstaller

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 11:48:09 PM »
well, it would depend on if you still wanted to use any power from the headlight switch or use all new lines and battery power direct. if all you wanted to do was just for the high beams, you could get away with one, maybe one each side for highs, being they only like around 30 amps for the big ones. im thinking about doing all the lights through relays, however ill also have two less lights, and most likely use HIDs since i sell them now ;D H4 high/low kit, eurolite conversion housings, and concorde grille for one light each side. ;D
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
Red Deer, AB, Canada

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk