News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:52:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Manifold  (Read 3887 times)

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
Manifold
« on: October 28, 2014, 06:39:14 PM »
I am preparing to get a geo prizm back alive for DD while i do the head swap. upon just checking everything out i realized theres a circular whole in my manifold- probably a stupid question- but whats it for? it almost looks like a canister of some sort once went there.. i will be switching to a header once the swap is complete so its not really affecting me much however my curiosity is killing me.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: Manifold
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 07:18:50 PM »
Where is it located on the manifold and what year engine and which manifold?  Intake or exhaust.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 07:27:43 PM »
Right below where the intake and exhaust are bolted to the head. 83 258 its got like aluminum hosing that was once around it but may have been pulled or fallen off. Im at work so i unfortunetly dont have any pics

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 07:28:30 PM »
would it be the hole circled in red?
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 07:30:50 PM »
Hahaha on the money just alot more dirty!

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 08:07:50 PM »
a tinfoil like tube originally ran from that port to a port in the air cleaner, and until the engine was warm enough for the vacuum system to activate, and move the flap at the snout of the air cleaner, the air was pulled from near the exhaust manifold.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 08:08:00 PM by 1985amceagle »
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 02:27:06 PM »
Ahh so if thats missing will that make my engine compartment loud? cause it sounds like half my exhaust comes from the tail pipe and the other half from under the hood? Hopefully soon ill have a header on there with the 4.0 head but its kinda embarrising how loud it is now..

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 10:41:54 PM »
No, it is only a way to gather heat from the exhaust manifold, it is not pulling air out of the exhaust, just what is around it. I think it has more to do with improving how the engine runs in the cold, than anything else.
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 02:27:27 AM »
Make sure your manifold bolts are tight. They can back off on their own.

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 01:56:19 PM »
Ok cool. Yeah i dont have any more than a week until i get this other DD running and then ill start stripping off everything. HOPEFULLY the inside of the engine looks good!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk