News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 28, 2024, 07:28:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: strange modifications?  (Read 14125 times)

Offline youngkyle

• certified license to ill.
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
strange modifications?
« on: March 06, 2014, 03:08:19 PM »
In my mind there's a few things that make my jaw drop when I see a car.  I'm in love with louvers, 80's tech, t tops, and other things.
So while I was looking at cars a while back, I had a strange idea, that I doubt will ever cross my mind as a serious option.  But I was thinking how an eagle (sx4) would look with t tops.  I've gone through the idea time and time again, always concluding it would look silly, but It still pops up. 
I'm not asking your opinion on if I should do it, but if anyone has had any wacky ideas on eagle modifications.  Just something that came into your mind, that would just looks ridiculous but you still want to know if it would work.

I figured this should go in altered eagles, for the modification part, but I may be wrong.

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
Re: strange modifications?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 03:46:44 PM »
In my mind there's a few things that make my jaw drop when I see a car.  I'm in love with louvers, 80's tech, t tops, and other things.
So while I was looking at cars a while back, I had a strange idea, that I doubt will ever cross my mind as a serious option.  But I was thinking how an eagle (sx4) would look with t tops.  I've gone through the idea time and time again, always concluding it would look silly, but It still pops up. 
I'm not asking your opinion on if I should do it, but if anyone has had any wacky ideas on eagle modifications.  Just something that came into your mind, that would just looks ridiculous but you still want to know if it would work.

I figured this should go in altered eagles, for the modification part, but I may be wrong.

Sundancer  I believe had something like that..
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 03:50:16 PM »
well that was a full targa, if I'm correct.  I mean full on t tops. 
While on the topic of sundancers, were they altered after the assembly line?  wasn't it like a comapny bought them and changed them into sundancers?

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 04:17:30 PM »
I think T-tops would be awesome on an SX4.  I have owned a couple cars with t-tops in the past ('84 firebird, '88 pulsar) and always loved using them.

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 05:05:59 PM »
I know some wagon owners and Sedan owners have gotten rid of the rear quarter/opera windows by welding them smooth. That's kind of a strange modification.
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 05:18:41 PM »
Seems to me that would cause some kind of blind spot! Maybe not!
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 05:24:35 PM »
Ugh, I hate blind spots.  My mother had a Chevy traverse, and I tell her that it's a nice car, it just needs some windows.  tiny rear window, long body, and pillars so thick you could support a skyscraper with them.  Complete design flaw.  I hate driving that thing.  (I had to learn with that Piece of crap)

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 05:42:49 PM »
When I brought my new coupe home, my son suggested we should modify the back end to make it a fastback style, like a 60's mustang.  Not a bad idea, but I won't be trying it out on this coupe!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 06:16:49 PM »
haha, I'd be interested in seeing that.  I'd be very hesitant to try any modifications like that, unless it was a junker that was free.  And even then I'd be scared.

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 07:12:05 PM »
How about this one. Someone just posted the CL ad for this on Facebook. I kind of dig the roof lights like a semi or big work truck.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 07:32:47 PM »
We discussed this way, way back in the early Nest days.  The consensus was the Targa band reinforcing the top would have to be so wide that it would mean taking out the back windows.  The Sundancer, besides having reinforcement within the Targa band also had a modified upper wind shield frame with a strengthening cross support.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 08:39:12 PM »
One of my favorite things about my wagon is ZERO blind spots , makes me appreciate it when I drive something that has them.
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 09:19:09 PM »
I bet the Kammback feel like it's all windows! :)

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 10:51:11 PM »
Kammeback doesn't have anything on the pacer, I'd suspect.  That's gotta be a car you don't want to drive around in without a shirt in the middle of a heat wave!

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 06:50:59 AM »

HI       This has nothing to do with T tops but I have ben knocking this idea around for a while ...I love the 1977 hornet hatchback and I all ways   wanted to take a hornet and a eagle wagon and make an SX/6......the wagon and hatchback floor pan are the same ....cut the hump out of the wagon and put it in the hatchback  .....then start changing every thing over from the wagon to the new SX/6....we have a SX/4 ....so I said the larger hatchback could be the SX/6  .......This is my wired idea .....I have the two cars .but I don't have the MONEY to make it happen ...if I had the money to do it you could see it from start to end .............don 
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 12:47:31 PM »
I'd like to see some photoshopped versions of this SX/6 you are thinking about!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 01:32:49 PM »
I also would  like to do a Hornet hatch with Eagle drivetrain swap. I've always like that body style. It's funny you mention SX/6, I thought I would call it a Hornet SX. Kind of a play on Hornet X.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline doneagle

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 01:51:08 PM »

HI .......I was hopping that some one out there would have the same idea ...Its funny that the eaglefreek would be on the same page ......don
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

Offline doneagle

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 02:05:05 PM »

.........HI    Rafe  I am not good enough to draw that car and make it look like it should ...may be some one out there would come up with a drawing that would give it justice I cant .............don 

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 03:44:49 PM »
something like a VAM lerma?

1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2014, 03:55:04 PM »

No, it would just be a Hornet with an Eagle drivetrain and suspension. Maybe try to use the Eagle fender flares and bumpers.

Offline doneagle

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2014, 04:01:16 PM »

[/quote
                      HI       I have never seen anything like this be fore    and I like it ...........don]

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2014, 12:08:55 AM »
you know, I was thinking it would be like the lerma, but I wasn't sure. I guess I wasn't the only one.

Offline doneagle

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2014, 03:48:15 PM »

HI    Youngkyle you have something going here because there is a lot of strange modifications on theses eagles
                  don

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2014, 01:27:17 AM »
Picture this as a 4x4

AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2014, 09:20:29 AM »
Hornet hatchback

Offline doneagle

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2014, 11:23:52 AM »

HI   E..F   that is one nice Hornet I have seen that one around for some time .....I was trying to find a picture of one of my Hornets to put on here ..they were all on my old computer when it passed on ....I will have to reinstall on this one .....thanks for the Hornet ....don

Offline doneagle

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2014, 11:28:42 AM »
Picture this as a 4x4

HI   that would make a fine 4x4 ....its a nice looking car ....don

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2014, 12:16:58 PM »
Thats funny cause I kinda want to make my SX/4 into something like that AMX
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

Offline doneagle

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2014, 01:39:35 PM »

HI Billman     I just read your post and if that  AMX were 4x4 that would be very nice .and or cool.....don

:amc:

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2014, 08:58:10 PM »
I was about to buy a 77 hornet AMX that would have been a project but don't have the time required
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

Offline doneagle

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2014, 10:44:34 AM »

HI    Bill I am retired now and I have a 1977 Hornet X hatchback and don't have the money needed to do it right
                      so a little at a time until its reedy to go on the street ....Time and Money if you have both your lucky .....

don loves                   :amc:   

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2014, 04:02:52 PM »
Kammeback doesn't have anything on the pacer, I'd suspect.  That's gotta be a car you don't want to drive around in without a shirt in the middle of a heat wave!

Hey, I got a good tan out of that. I've got to stay cool somehow until I put A/C in. The real downside is you get funny patterns on your back from the seat covers.

I like the old round headlight Hornet/Concord grill idea. Also, I recall seeing pictures of one at a show with a Dodge (IIRC) grill put on it, complete with the streamlined headlights. I think it was a thread on the 'Nest and I don't know if it made it through the deletes. It was very sharp looking.

I'm not a fan of big rims and thin tires on the Eagle, but I think the AMX or an Eagle lowered and kitted out with a less-outrageous AMX Turbo style body kit could pull them off. That would make it more of an AWD road-rally car.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline doneagle

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2014, 12:03:46 AM »

HI     BenM    I like all of the Hornet grills and round head lights .....and I am not a fan of the big wheels eagles ,
                  hornets ,concord and others .....My grandson wants to BAG my eagle I said I would thank about that ...
                  I would like to put a Cherokee drive train under an American ..1964 or 65 ....It doesn't make any difference
                  what kind of body 2 or 4 dr or wagon would be nice ..........don     

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk