News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 18, 2024, 10:11:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: GM 5.3 into AMC Eagle  (Read 8001 times)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
GM 5.3 into AMC Eagle
« on: January 20, 2012, 11:21:28 AM »
Been doing a lot of reading on the GM 5.3 swaps that seem to be so popular as of late and got to thinking...Anybody here ever swap a GM 5.3 and 4l60e into an Eagle? Is the unit body construction of the Eagle even able to handle such a swap? It's a bit past overkill but I think that the Eagle with that drive-train could probably average 25+ MPG all day long without batting an eye and have plenty of power to spare.

What do you guys think?
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
Re: GM 5.3 into AMC Eagle
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 12:02:27 PM »
Could be be a worthy swap. There's a few cheokees rolling around with ls engines.  They're becoming plentiful in junkyards, good aftermarket support, lightweight versions, multiple oil pan configurations, you can even toss a carburetor on if you like. Extra bracing would likely be needed, a light foot would likely be needed in 4wd as to not tear up the front end. Would I personally go this route? Not likely, the ls engines are expensive if something goes wrong, you have to pick your donor very carefully, there are some known bad seed ls's out there. I wouldn't attempt this swap without a complete running/driving donor, it would save lots of money in the long run (IE pick up a totaled out truck). On the other hand, I like do the idea, so don't get me wrong, lol.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 03:41:52 PM »
Didn't know you could carb the GENIII SBC. I've found a few places online that sell turn key motors w/wiring harness for under $2k...I bet a performance built 6.0 in an Sx4 would make for one helluva car!

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 05:11:22 PM »
That it would, lol, GM performance sells the intakes to install a carb (holley and edelbrock may too by now), hefty price, but pretty cool, imo.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline amcinstaller

• Installer, Mechanic, Who Knows.....
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
  • So That's Like A Cross Between A Pinto And A Vega?
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 08:23:55 PM »
shaggimo would find a way to carb anything  ;)
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
1980 AMC Spirit GT  Restomod In Progress
1998 Dodge Stratus  Boring DD With Loud DD Bass
Liquid Audio Styling and Sound
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 10:28:50 PM »
Every person I know who has done a 5.3 swap always wishes they went with a bigger LS motor. Something
However it's usually a performance application. You don't want to go too powerful or you will start to go through front and rear differentials pretty often. For that reason a 5.3 is a good option. Still enough power to do some drivetrain damage.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 03:00:38 PM »
I've also, thought about a 5.3 swap. I would use a 700R instead of the electrically controlled 4L60E. I read on another forum that a Chevy NP241c input shaft will swap into a NP249J and blot right up to the 700R. I've also read that people swap the NP249 input with an NP242, so I would assume the NP241c input would go into the NP242 case and alow it to bolt up to the Chevy transmission. If I were to do it, a solid axle swap would happen at the same time. I would think the front axle could handle it as long as you don't beat the snot out of it on the road. The rally SX4 had a 401 with the stock IFS front axle.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 03:34:05 PM »
I've also, thought about a 5.3 swap. I would use a 700R instead of the electrically controlled 4L60E. I read on another forum that a Chevy NP241c input shaft will swap into a NP249J and blot right up to the 700R. I've also read that people swap the NP249 input with an NP242, so I would assume the NP241c input would go into the NP242 case and alow it to bolt up to the Chevy transmission. If I were to do it, a solid axle swap would happen at the same time. I would think the front axle could handle it as long as you don't beat the snot out of it on the road. The rally SX4 had a 401 with the stock IFS front axle.

I've heard the same thing as far as transfer cases go. The 700R4 and 4L60e can be made to bolt up to the NP229/NP129 but I don't know how much power they can handle, is that what they used in the rally Eagles?

I'd keep an eye out for an XJ D44 rear end and regear it. I'm sure there's gotta be a way to beef up the front end somehow. Man you guys are really making me want to do this now LOL

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk