News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:47:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Where to Start ? UPDATED 6/24/2011  (Read 8287 times)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
Re: Where to Start ?
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 11:33:57 AM »
This is a concern for basically all rubbery things under the hood: vacuum lines, fuel lines, water hoses fan belts (well those don't leak).
Last but not least, take all brakes apart and replace the worn parts.

Dammit, I was gonna say that   ;D

I'll X2 that.  Start replacing all the hoses under the hood.  Replace all the fluids, including rear end oil, and new grease in the nipples.

get some carb cleaner, spray it slowly into the carb, so you don't stall it right away, but spray it bit-by-bit until you get near like a 1/4 end of the can, then give it to her to stall it.  then you're gonna be letting it sit for like at least 6 hours.  Make sure it's at operating temp first.

new plugs, wires, coil (if you can do the HEI swap-over, that will be a big help)

Give your brakes a total shakedown.  check, clean, or replace.  I redid mine except for the master cylinder.  all new fluid, wheel cylinders, spring kit, drums, pads and shoes, etc.   all of it was cheap, except for the drums.  If you can't find the replacement drums (if you need them) there's a common jeep drum replacement that will fit.

Offline jamesdel

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Re: Where to Start ?
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 10:29:51 AM »
Well Have drove her to work for two weeks now guess its time for an update. Other then all four headlights pointing to a different spot , all is good !!! I changed the oil twice and the transmission filter and fluids twice. After the first change it was still shifting funny , change number two and she seems to be working fine. Getting almost 19 MPG until yesterday :) . I'm sure that the numbers will be lower this tank. Simple reason really, My drive to work is 34 miles one way 95% highway. Yesterday got about halfway to work , hit a deer , . well it hit me really. Didn't check out the damage. Got to work just to find I had forgotten my ID . Long story short I made the trip home and back in under 45 Minutes. Not even one Hic cup. Got to work Yesterday was payday, always cool!, got my check to find that they had screwed that up as well. I had worked 19 hours the week before got paid for 21. Yep sucks. After work finally screwed up the courage to look at the damage . Anyone know where I can get a new hubcap ? That's all it done was take the center out of the right rear hubcap. Lucky me :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk