News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 03:11:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How do I delete the fuel return lines?  (Read 17660 times)

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
How do I delete the fuel return lines?
« on: October 21, 2011, 07:11:52 PM »
The return lines on the Sx-4 are leaking terribly. I would really rather just remove them all together than run new line. I know I can't just block them up because it will cause an air lock and lead to other problems (filling the tank and regular flow become a problem) Any suggestions ??
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
Re: How do I delete the fuel return lines?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 07:17:39 PM »
i just used a inline filter and crimped the return line shut near the tank ..... over 3k miles and runs great
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 08:48:24 PM »
2eagles of mine have no return. This has been years.

Manitowoc WI

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 08:49:12 PM »
Ditto.  I delete the return line all the time on Jeeps.  Just crimp off the return line and get an inline filter.  Done.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 07:38:56 PM »
if what you guys are telling me is true then i have another problem brewing.......it seems there is some sort of blockage in the line or tank then. I already have a clear glass inline filter before the fuel pump. When i watch the fuel flow it goes sort of slow like something is blocking it. Another problem is when I try to fill up the pump stops and spits out fuel at about 1/2 to 3/4 a tank. If I let it settle in the tank I can fill it up....... why is this happening?
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 08:00:42 PM »
Filler vent tube?

Bad sending unit?
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 10:26:10 AM »
Charcoal canister clogged on the bottom?
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 11:12:03 AM »
There are two lines on the driver's side, a vent and a return line. The filler tube in the tank is not vented, but should have the restrictor in it for unleaded which does help vent when you're filling.

If the vent and return lines are that bad, you may have to replace some line anyway. I don't know the plumbing on the small Eagles, but on the big Eagles you have to drop the tank to really inspect the vent line.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 11:29:58 PM »
Charcoal canister clogged on the bottom?

No emissions on this vehicle as per P/O

Filler vent tube?

There are two lines on the driver's side, a vent and a return line. The filler tube in the tank is not vented, but should have the restrictor in it for unleaded which does help vent when you're filling.

If the vent and return lines are that bad, you may have to replace some line anyway. I don't know the plumbing on the small Eagles, but on the big Eagles you have to drop the tank to really inspect the vent line.

Thanks guys I was thinking it was the vent but I wasn't sure. I am doing the main fuel line this week. I really didn't want to drop the tank but ahh what else is new. Anybody know of a good source for gas tank straps?

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 10:53:15 AM »
I also want to add that I've replaced return lines when they go bad. The Pacer ran very rich at idle until I put the proper filter and return line in. Depending on the condition of your carburetor YMMV.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 11:35:01 AM »
If the charcoal canister is gone, there is noplace for the fuel vapors in the tank to go, so the lines will get forced off by the built up pressure in the tank.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

rohnk

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 12:28:17 PM »
What do you guys mean by placing an inline filter and plugging the lines?

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 08:24:31 PM »
You follow the return line that comes from that upper nipple on the back side of the ruel filter to the metal line against the driver's strut tower, continues alongside the drivers side body rail, then crosses over by the rear axle, then you simply cut and crimp it close to the sending unit. You can leave 2-4" won't hurt anything.  Then you take out that old stock fuel filter with the dual outlets and insert a standard fuel filter with one inlet and one outlet.  Clear ones are handy so you can tell when they are plugging up or the fuel pump is slacking.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 03:38:19 AM »
You follow the return line that comes from that upper nipple on the back side of the ruel filter to the metal line against the driver's strut tower, continues alongside the drivers side body rail, then crosses over by the rear axle, then you simply cut and crimp it close to the sending unit. You can leave 2-4" won't hurt anything.  Then you take out that old stock fuel filter with the dual outlets and insert a standard fuel filter with one inlet and one outlet.  Clear ones are handy so you can tell when they are plugging up or the fuel pump is slacking.

You never want a plastic filter after the pump. They cannot handle pressure. Especially where an eagle has a filter right above an exaust manifold.

Manitowoc WI

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 10:35:11 AM »
You never want a plastic filter after the pump. They cannot handle pressure. Especially where an eagle has a filter right above an exaust manifold.

They make a metal filter just like the return one we have, but without the return nipple. Run that in place of the stock one. (I still vote return line.)

If you're really into a big filter, I'd mount one of the big canister filters from a Cherokee or similar down on the inner fender by the pump, they're meant to be pressurized by the in-tank pump and are probably better then anything we're using. I don't trust plastic or glass filters.
NSS#47184

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 10:39:50 AM »
There are glass filters too that I have used in the past.  Never had any issues:

"Tootie" 1984 Wagon

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 10:53:34 AM »
I use a Ford Taurus filter

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 01:35:13 PM »
There are glass filters too that I have used in the past.  Never had any issues:

Gronk, do you have any details about how to find that glass filter?
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 01:41:16 PM »
I have always purchased mine off the shelf at local stores (Checkers/Autozone/etc)
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 04:13:12 PM »
Autozone is where I got mine. They come in several sizes, from 1/8" to3/8" too. Work great, never had one leak, and most models are designed up to 12psi. or 15psi.

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy

Offline AMCKen

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 13
    • American Motors Club of Alberta
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2011, 06:39:17 PM »
When I used a single outlet filter in my Spirit, the high-volume pump overwhelmed the float in the carb and it would flood until I put a proper 2-outlet filter in.
The last 4 gallons or so seem to take longer due to the design of the filler and tank. Seems the engineers had to encourage us to leave the top of the tank empty to prevent overflows when the tank is really full. IIRC the rear plate bracket is held on with 2 screws. Take those off and pull on the filler set-up. You'll get a long tube that fits into the tank. The outlet in the tank is not just at the tank wall but further down with a small vent hole part way back to the wall.  I've cut off the excess leaving enough to make sure it gets all the way into the tank. Fill ups are way faster for the last of the gas but then you get less warning when the tank is near full. This may be on SX4s and Spirits only but I think the wagons are similar. Wish I had pictures at hand.
39Master85w.partscar,67Marlin343,68AMX343,70Machine,73Matador2drht401,
73-74-75-76GremlinXs,75PacerX,76Hornet2dsd,76-77Matadorcpes,
2-77AMXs304,78AMX304,78GremlinGT,78Concordsw,79Concordhb,79PacerDL304,
2-79AMXs304/401,2-80AMXs258/401,80SpiritDL304, 80Eagle4dsdn,3-81SX4s,
81SpiritGT,2-81Concord4dsd,82Eaglesw,2-85Eaglesw,2-80J20/360,85J10/258,2-88Eaglesw,
94Sentra2dsd   (42)

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 11:23:47 AM »
It's also to keep the tank from rupturing if you fill it when it's cold out and it gets hot during the day. Law says 80% fill for a reason!

Offline AMCKen

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2011, 05:58:17 PM »
I expect it would flood the carb or pop a hose off before that happened. : )
81SpiritGT,2-81Concord4dsd,82Eaglesw,2-85Eaglesw,2-80J20/360,85J10/258,2-88Eaglesw,
94Sentra2dsd   (42)

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2011, 10:04:28 PM »
I saw 2 do that in CO in '02. My own gas cap was spitting gas in the lot as it went from low 50s to near 100 during the day.

Offline AMCKen

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2012, 04:44:58 PM »

The last 4 gallons or so seem to take longer due to the design of the filler and tank. Seems the engineers had to encourage us to leave the top of the tank empty to prevent overflows when the tank is really full. IIRC the rear plate bracket is held on with 2 screws. Take those off and pull on the filler set-up. You'll get a long tube that fits into the tank. The outlet in the tank is not just at the tank wall but further down with a small vent hole part way back to the wall.  I've cut off the excess leaving enough to make sure it gets all the way into the tank. Fill ups are way faster for the last of the gas but then you get less warning when the tank is near full. This may be on SX4s and Spirits only but I think the wagons are similar. Wish I had pictures at hand.

Here's a pic of what I cut off the filler neck.

94Sentra2dsd   (42)

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2012, 05:45:31 PM »

I've actually had a few of those clear glass ones leak on me.
I don't think it was the design, so much as cheap quality filters though.
A performance shop here had a sale on them so I picked a few of them up.. I probably should have questioned they were 3 for the price of 1  ;D
I just liked the idea of being able to see what was going to my carb though.
I'd probably consider them again, if I found a higher quality one.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2012, 05:54:48 PM »

I've actually had a few of those clear glass ones leak on me.
I don't think it was the design, so much as cheap quality filters though.
A performance shop here had a sale on them so I picked a few of them up.. I probably should have questioned they were 3 for the price of 1  ;D
I just liked the idea of being able to see what was going to my carb though.
I'd probably consider them again, if I found a higher quality one.

I never liked those things. Especially glass ones. Cut a normal one open when done.

Manitowoc WI

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2012, 12:05:04 PM »
Clear plastic one are what I use.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2012, 01:37:29 PM »

i seen those swell.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2012, 10:04:58 PM »

What I don't like about those, is they tend to haze pretty quickly, in the ones I've used.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2012, 12:27:30 AM »
Must be something in the fuel then or the cheaper version. I use the NAPA gold in mine and except getting mud covered, it's still easy to see into a year or so later.

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2012, 01:42:33 AM »
Must be something in the fuel then or the cheaper version. I use the NAPA gold in mine and except getting mud covered, it's still easy to see into a year or so later.

Cheaper version, almost for sure. I got a few of them from a buddy for free.

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2012, 09:34:06 AM »
If you look at the $$$ on the glass filters yhe $$$ ranges form $4 to over $50.  I'm guessing there is a huge difference in quality between them.

I would say the same with plastic filters too.
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2012, 12:42:55 PM »

Cheaper version, almost for sure. I got a few of them from a buddy for free.

Probably not alcohol rated plastic then.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk