News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 28, 2024, 02:35:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Passenger Door Won't Open From Either Side- Panel Advice  (Read 758 times)

Offline Fred C Dobbs

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • We don't need no stinking 4x4 badges
Passenger Door Won't Open From Either Side- Panel Advice
« on: April 27, 2023, 01:04:18 AM »
So, I've done my research and it appears that door latches breaking is a well documented problem, but from what I see the doors can still be opened from the inside. My issue seems to be with the actual latch that clamps over the bar that comes off the body of the car. At least that's my guess. Here's what I know:

1. The door handles both actually seem to function, and at least the outer handle worked fine until recently. In fact, the door opens up slightly when the handle is pulled, even from the outside but then is getting caught up on something very solid- that's why I'm guessing it's the solid metal bar- the main static point on all car doors (I don't know the name of it).

2. I can fully close the door and hear the latch engage by pushing hard on the door from the outside - a faint click and it's secure.

3. The lock is also functioning properly and can be unlocked with the exterior key.

My problems:

1. I'm not sure it's even possible to remove the interior door panel with the door closed. If it is, please give me some pointers. I really don't want to destroy an otherwise perfect panel by tearing this thing apart. I have removed window handle and the armrest, and I'm not sure where there are any additional clips holding it on, but I can pull it up slightly, until it is jammed in between more interior plastic, and this is even with the door slightly loose, the 1-2 cm that it moves.

2. I can't find a good diagram showing me where all the innards of this door are located- so even if I could slip a long screwdriver or something in there I don't know really where the problems lie.

Help.
1985 Eagle Wagon
1992 Buick Roadmaster
196x Volkswagen Rail Buggy
Ford F150 4x4
A bicycle

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: Passenger Door Won't Open From Either Side- Panel Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 04:37:51 PM »
That's the striker you're talking about.   Since it sounds like your latch is trying to release properly, maybe exerting more force to push it open is an option.  Have you given it a swift kick from the inside while pulling on the door handle?
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Fred C Dobbs

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 05:37:06 PM »
I have not. I was mostly just pulling from the outside and not being too violent- after reading about fragile handles I was being a little gun shy. When I get home today I will use more persuasion. I took apart the door of a old Crown Vic at work today (unrelated repair) and I might have a little better idea of the fundamentals of a door.

This is a project car and has been sitting for about 22 years so I suspect gunk, rust, mouse nest fluff or what have you could have jammed up those tight tolerances in the latch. Might try and squirt some Blaster or WD as far in there as I can. I will report back!
1985 Eagle Wagon
1992 Buick Roadmaster
Ford F150 4x4
A bicycle

Offline Illeagle1984

• Manic Mechanic
  • Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 06:47:41 PM »
I agree, give it a good heave with one or maybe both handles pulled.  It should let loose.

Every time I have to get into a door that doesn't move, I end up removing that seat so I can get at the door panel.  The passenger seat nuts are on the bottom of the car and easy to get at, if they move.
It's getting crowded down here:
1973 Ford Mustang "Rustang"
1984 AMC Eagle Sedan "IllEagle" 183k
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon "Eagle 2"
1996 Cadillac Eldorado 178k
1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 239k
2002 Cadillac Eldorado Doral Edition
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 179k

Offline Fred C Dobbs

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2023, 09:48:17 PM »
Well, I did battle with this thing all evening.

I *was* able to remove the interior panel with the door closed. It is possible. The panels are much thinner than I expected, and just flexible enough to pull up over the lock button up top and peel from that end. Seat removal not required, but reclining the seat is a must. It can then be removed from the henge side with some clip popping.

Inside was possibly the largest mouse nest I've ever seen. It filled up a garbage bag. Disgusting. Not sure if that has anything to do with the stuck door situation, but needless to say once I get this nonsense fixed I'll be taking off all the door panels for a similar cleanout.

Proceeded to give the door a jolly good thrashing. I felt more comfortable using more force with the panel removed, but still no dice. Something in there is jammed stuck so hard that it's more likely to bend the sheet metal or break the glass than move it.

Unfortunately, even with the panel removed and a pretty good view of all the mechanisms, there doesn't seem to be any latch accessible from the inside either. At the very least, I can now see what's not the problem- the Z shaped metal piece that usually breaks on the outer handle is intact, and both handles are indeed functioning, and the lock button feels right too.

So, with my sights squarely on the latch stuck over the 'striker' (thanks Houston) I came up with the idea that perhaps it is possible to get a persuader to the latch if I removed the rear passenger door. I got a little ambitious, and it started to get dark so I aborted this procedure about halfway through and put the bolts back in for another day.

No surrender. Any more suggestions are highly welcome.
1985 Eagle Wagon
1992 Buick Roadmaster
Ford F150 4x4
A bicycle

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2023, 11:54:52 AM »
Man; that's just weird.   Since the panel is off, maybe hose down the latch assembly from the inside with PB Blaster and let that soak in for a while.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Illeagle1984

• Manic Mechanic
  • Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2023, 07:14:33 PM »
Well at least the panel came off without too much work.  You're all in?  That's the spirit!

Let's see, the next thing I would do is remove the little rods from the latch and actuate them manually.  Make sure the unlock position is maxing out.  Does it make a nice click sound like the other latches when you unlock it?  Then, make sure all the levers are at a 'resting' position.  If one or more are in a half-cocked position, they can bind each other up and prevent the latch release.

Maybe push in on the door while trying the release.  That move works on hoods sometimes.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 07:22:20 PM by Illeagle1984 »

Offline Fred C Dobbs

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2023, 10:20:09 PM »
The battle is over, and I am victorious.

I finally had a few hours cleared up to devote to this thing and I gave it a few more hard bangs with still no effect. I proceeded to take off the rear passenger's door in hopes that I could get a better view of what exactly was stuck in there, and indeed, you are able to see just enough metal that my suspicions were partially confirmed, I was pretty sure that the latch was jammed over the striker. I grabbed a long skinny flathead screwdriver and found some real estate and started hammering. Stuck solid, but I just kept hammering half expecting something to break or break loose. Finally, and after many curses, that son of a gun broke free, and the door just swung open like there was never a problem at all.

So, here's the postmortem:
In the latch area, there appears to be some broken white plastic. On the driver's side there is also a white plastic cover, or plug, or rectangular doohicky that seems to cover a small spring. I have no idea what this spring does exactly, but it is possible that A.) This doohicky is what broke and the small pieces somehow jammed the latch up, or B.) I broke this doohicky while hammering the latch with the screwdriver. Option C.) is that the latch just jammed up on its own accord after being opened and slammed the first few times in about 15 years.

The most bizarre part of the whole affair is that now the door works totally fine, it opens, latches, and locks from both the interior and exterior and the only change I made was pull some plastic chunks out and squirted a bunch of grease in there.

Thank you guys for all the support and suggestions.  :eaglebig:
1985 Eagle Wagon
1992 Buick Roadmaster
Ford F150 4x4
A bicycle

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2023, 12:03:34 PM »
The battle is over, and I am victorious.

Awesome!  Congratulations!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Illeagle1984

• Manic Mechanic
  • Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2023, 07:54:53 PM »
You closed the door again with the same latch!?  You're a madman!   :rotfl:

Offline Fred C Dobbs

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2023, 10:29:27 PM »
I did. I did close it again. It wasn't out of bravery though, just stupidity, I closed it immediately without thinking. The AMC Gods must have seen my plight and were merciful this time.

Still functioning normally.
1985 Eagle Wagon
1992 Buick Roadmaster
Ford F150 4x4
A bicycle

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk