The Mighty 258 > Emissions/Vacuum Systems

EGR Valve questions

(1/3) > >>

Canoe:
My thread about all the different EGR valves and how I can find out the specs for them has disappeared. ???

Due to some rough idle, I took my existing EGR valve off to clean & test it, only to find that the valve port had a piece of pipe stuck in it and which is welded closed. (I have a vague recollection of seeing this before...)
And there's no EGR Exhaust tube. And it's an aftermarket 4.0 exhaust manifold. This is going to be fun to replace...
(and I found the front diff breathing fitting & line hanging free)

Canoe:
Well that was interesting. Had to re-install the faked EGR valve to be able to drive. With the cleaned surfaces and a new gasket, the engine runs a lot smoother. Still has the regular stumble, but the affect is very subdued, and there's noticeably more power off the line, and smoother throughout. Must have had a leak at the EGR valve gasket.

vangremlin:
Great to hear about the improved driveability.  Gotta love those simple fixes!

Canoe:
While at the junk yard, over the past year+ I've also been looking for donor EGR flex tube I can use to repair my EGR tube and get it back into service. I've not had luck. New donor parts are in the $80 range.

Finally had better search terms on google. That turned up results using the existing end connectors, with the cut tube joined in the middle with:
* HVAC natural gas line Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing (CSST): clamped, welded or compression fittings. Clamps (look like mini exhaust pipe clamps) seem to be regarded as questionable sealing & reliability.
* VHT Silicone (blue silicone?), clamped with a hose clamp (smooth style for longevity). Cost and availability will likely determine which I try.

Next issue will be figuring out which EGR I should be using. With the 4.0 decked head, headers, high voltage coil, etc., and in particular modified exhaust system, it seems that the stock EGR value being a positive pressure type, is not expected to work properly. Having problems finding working specs of EGR valves.

Hmmm.
Apparently there's also FAC (Flexible Appliance Connector) tubing. May or may not be suitable...

AMC of Houston:
New EGR tubes are down to about $45 now.   Used ones on EvilBay are ~$22.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version