News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 04:41:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: sputtering when step on gas pedal from stop sign  (Read 3552 times)

amceagledude

sputtering when step on gas pedal from stop sign
« on: May 10, 2011, 11:45:19 PM »
this happens when i take off from a stop sign or just giving it a little gas and stay under 20mph.  it doesnt do it untill the car has been running for about 20 minutes.  i had the carb rebuilt about 6 months ago. i had a place use a timing gun and that didn't work. i also have been slightly been advancing the distributer cap a little each day while its warmed up as well and it still wants to do this sputtering thing! should i just take it to the shop because the carb has a year warranty? thanks everyone

Offline LaGuardia

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 26
  • Now, that's what I call a ride !
    • Armati e Responsabili (sorry, only Italian)
Re: sputtering when step on gas pedal from stop sign
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 05:04:49 AM »
I know little about timing (I'll have to learn, I know ;) ) but this thing doesn't seem timing related to me.

I'd bet on something related to fuel flow, so yes, the carb could be involved, but try with simple things. I'd check:

1) Fuel pump
2) Fuel filter
3) Fuel lines (as a last resource).

If it takes a lot of cranking before firing up in the morning (or after it has been sitting for a while), a weak gas pump could be the culprit.

For example, I experienced similar symptoms (ages to fire up and sputtering after stops) and I found out the diaphragm in the pump was cracked. This also led to gas mixing up with engine oil (check your dipstick if it smells like gas and the oil appears thinner than it should, you're there).

A clogged fuel filter could be another problem, and also some spark plug wire not firmly seated on the dist cap or plug sometimes might have such effects.

In the end, start with the simpler things and step up in complexity. The rebuilt carb is the last thing to investigate, and if everything else turns out to be OK, then you're going to claim your warranty with confidence...
"Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear".
Oh, really ? I guess that's why I need BOTH rear bumper corner caps now. Doh !

1981 4.2 Eagle Wagon LTD (Daily Driver)
2003 Toyota RAV4 (Wife's Car)
1985 Plymouth Gran Fury (Endless Project Car)
1997 Alfa Romeo GTV V6 TB (Not Running Now)
1994 Honda Helix CN250 (My Beloved Scooter)
1975 Honda 500 FourK (Can't Remember Where I Left It)
1985 Moto Guzzi California II 1.000 (New Entry)

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 09:52:43 AM »
Check all of the above, then if it still has problems I would suspect some crud in the carb.

You can try the old jug of gas on the roof method to bypass the whole fuel system and check the carb, but make sure you have the pump run directly into the return line first.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 12:45:22 PM »
I had a simular problem with my wagon when I first got it .   What cured mine was putting a line in/line out fuel filter and just capping the return line.   I've put over 1000 miles on it since with no problems
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk