News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 26, 2024, 08:46:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: compressor removal  (Read 3568 times)

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
compressor removal
« on: July 29, 2011, 06:46:58 PM »
Planning on replacing all the belts and was hoping to remove the compressor while I'm at it to free up some HP.  Anyone have belt part # or links on how to remove the compressor and replace the belts.

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
Re: compressor removal
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 07:09:36 PM »
You want to remove the air conditioning compressor? On all the 6cyl cars I've seen that have AC, it drives the alternator via a short belt around just the alt and AC compressor. It could be challenging to delete the AC compressor.

If its the smog pump "compressor" you want to take out, then that's a different story that I just don't recall info about.

We need more info about what your car has and what "compressor" it is you want to remove.

Also, if you are not using the AC, it just serves as an idler pulley, sucking negligible amounts of power.

You want to free up some power, get an electric radiator fan to replace the mechanical one.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 01:37:24 PM »
yes the ac compressor, I wasn't sure if it could be removed and the belts could be rerouted somehow.  I plan to use the car only for the winters and will have no use for ac...........

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 03:12:11 PM »
I done that to use an extra altenator as a welder. However I custom made a bracket

Manitowoc WI

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 12:35:52 PM »
There is a non-AC mount that placed the alternator further forward and up where the compressor sat. You may be able to pull one from a Jeep or an earlier AMC at a junkyard.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 12:52:59 AM »
there is a thread on here...i think under "ac delete" or somthing of that nature.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk