News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:30:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 80 aftermarket stereo swap  (Read 7047 times)

Offline bluefever

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
80 aftermarket stereo swap
« on: February 18, 2013, 11:53:03 PM »
I've tried looking through the posts on here as well as putting it into crutchfield. On an 80 eagle wagon, how difficult is it to wire up? Does anyone have a diagram of wire colors? I've of course wired stereo's before, but one of the posts on here says it might have one wire speakers?

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
Re: 80 aftermarket stereo swap
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 12:24:13 AM »
Nobody's gonna know nada about Eagles out there. You're pretty much on your own wiring up a stereo in one. That said, and it being an 80 model, are you wanting to put in a newer style stereo with whats referred to as a DIN mount(modern CD/MP3/input units)? That'll require you to cut up the dash center unless you locate one from an '86 or newer Eagle(or was it as early as '84, I don't remember), which came with a DIN mount stereo. If the car has its stock AM/FM radio, just trace the wires for power and ground. If its just the AM/FM, then it probably has just one speaker located above the glove box, which is useless and can be abandoned(wiring and all), so you'll have to pull your own speaker wires to the doors and back areas, and probably have to fabricate your own speaker mounts for those locations. These cars have a bunch of tricky/hidden dash screws, and its not much fun doing the install. If you don't have a DIN style mount to use, the one from an XJ Cherokee can be made to work, but lacks a tab on top that the Eagle din mount has. One can be riveted onto the XJ mount. I might be able to find some pictures to help.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline bluefever

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 12:28:10 AM »
yes I'd be looking at going modern.

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 03:52:04 AM »
Eagle Eyes has the original stereo in her and there are two wires going to each speaker but the stereo is the one with the built in cb.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 12:33:15 PM »
You'll have to tear into it to see what is necessary. AMC used three different setups over the years of the Eagle.

1) Phantom ground - with the most basic radios. There was only one wire running from the stereo to the speakers, and they were grounded through the body. This may fry modern radios.

2) Two wire with bullet connectors - This would be the upscale wiring without a DIN radio. There are a couple of ganged bullet connector blocks behind the dash, and usually a bit of a harness/adapter between the radio and the connectors; sometimes it pairs up ground wires. http://bitspieces.net/group26/

3) DIN wiring: http://www.n0kfb.org/homepage/amc/tech/86_radio.htm

There are places out there that sell the harness for the DIN plugs.

Unless you have DIN wiring, you will be looking at running ground wires out, but that's all you need.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline cadman929

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 08:39:52 PM »
i did mine on a 1982 wagon and found this diagram extemely helpful! its a fairly simple wireing job, but i will not lie i was kind of scared to cut into my dash but it turned out pretty good also i think best buy will do a headunit instal for around $60
http://www.amceaglesden.com/~iowaeagl/guide/index.php?title=Radio_Pin_Outs_-_AM/FM
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 11:19:20 AM by vangremlin »

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 09:56:24 PM »
There are also the "stealth" radios that mount somewhere else and can be operated by remote control.  They can include ipod and cd options.  Also, I think Eddie Stakes, a member here, sometimes offers a modern post radio that will fit the Eagles.  PM me if you want links to the stealth radios.  I'm looking forward to hearing what you decide to do.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline bertosalceda

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 09:20:03 AM »
You'll have to tear into it to see what is necessary. AMC used three different setups over the years of the Eagle.

1) Phantom ground - with the most basic radios. There was only one wire running from the stereo to the speakers, and they were grounded through the body. This may fry modern radios.

2) Two wire with bullet connectors - This would be the upscale wiring without a DIN radio. There are a couple of ganged bullet connector blocks behind the dash, and usually a bit of a harness/adapter between the radio and the connectors; sometimes it pairs up ground wires. http://bitspieces.net/group26/

3) DIN wiring: http://www.n0kfb.org/homepage/amc/tech/86_radio.htm

There are places out there that sell the harness for the DIN plugs.

Unless you have DIN wiring, you will be looking at running ground wires out, but that's all you need.

http://bitspieces.net/group26/

Group 26 - Electrical, Radio

Stereo Radio
Flat 3 Pin - "Front"
Green
Right Front   White
Left Front   Black
Left Ground

Square 3 Pin - "Rear"
White w/ TR
Left Rear   
Brown
Right Rear   Black
Right Ground

Triangle 2 or 3 Pin - "Power"
Black
Ground   
Orange
Illumination   Red
ACC Power

There may be a white single-pin connector to attach an accessory, like an amplifier or antenna.

Body wiring colors are:

Brown: Switched ACC
Black: Ground
Orange: Illumination
Tan (Brown): + Left Front
Black (w/ TR): - Left Front
Green (White): + Right Front
Black: - Right Front
Brown: + Left Rear
Black: - Left Rear
Dark Blue: + Right Rear
Black w/ TR: - Right Rear
The dash speaker is 4"x10", a common OEM size for vehicles up through the mid-80s. It is a Mono speaker used with AM and Mono FM radio options. Aftermarket dual voice coil speakers are available to replace the mono unit for ease of upgrades.

Door speakers on all AMC cars are 5¼. AMC used Motorola radios with 3.2 Ohm (4 Ohm nominal) speakers. This makes aftermarket replacement straightforward.

Radios have internal, replaceable lights.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 11:15:19 AM by bertosalceda »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk