News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:11:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Apparently an odd year for an odd car  (Read 3026 times)

Offline Senor_taco

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • If I replace every part its a new car right?
Apparently an odd year for an odd car
« on: September 11, 2017, 11:14:41 AM »
So, I have a 1980 AMC eagle 2 Door Sport. Apparently there are a few oddities on this year since its the first year for the eagle and its always 4WD. It keeps eating wheel bearings on the front passenger side, it does take a few months before this happens however. Now the half shaft (which had been replaced at some point) is also going out. My thought is that I might have the non serviceable hubs and got lucky for a little while with the replacement bearings.

So first the front half shafts. When I look them up @ O'Reilly auto parts I find two options: AM8001 (18 1/8 inches long) and 60-3027 (18 1/4 inches long). I recognize the half shaft that is in there as being the 60-3027, but that doesn't mean its the correct part and might even be the reason for the bearings getting chewed up if its wrong. Since there was no selective drive in this and it used the NP119 transfer case are the shafts different? I've found different axel diagrams that say 80-81 and 82 and up so I'm guessing yes? According to the website they are both compatible with my car, but parts stores don't seem to always have the correct info on these cars, especially for this particular year. I'm just going to replace both front shafts. I know they are the same for driver/passenger, but should probably make sure I get the right one. Any input would be appreciated.

Next up, the @#%*ing bearings! I'm so tired of these things lol. I've been using Timken Set 26 putting the seals in, inner and outer, I'm pretty sure I have the correct O-ring and I'm fairly sure that I have the correct axel shaft to bearing spacer (but not 100% sure on that one). Think I'll just get a whole new hub assembly because I'm pretty sure the last shop that pressed the bearings in cracked the bearing carrier. From what I understand all year eagle hubs should be interchangeable. Is this correct for my car and if so will changing the hub change what half shafts I need to get (assuming there's a difference in shafts)?

Last, the valve cover. Its the one that came made out of metal from the factory. The replacement gaskets just aren't really taking. It appears as though the cover is warped particularly around that stupid lip that hangs over the side. I know that the plastic ones don't work as a replacement for this year (and wouldn't want one anyway). I have found ones that are metal for post 82 for a reasonable price, but have only found one for the 80 that cost something like $270. Is this right or should I just practically glue the original one on there with gasket seal?

I've had this car for quite a long time and over the years I have added the Gronk carb swap (2150), HEI upgrade, since it didn't have a feedback Carter no need to for nutterbypass, and it has newer exhaust since the old one went out 2 to 3 years ago. The good news is its starting and running pretty good. The bad news is that's where the good news ends. The dash mounts are stripped out so the dash sags, mice got in there so my nice interior is going to have to be redone, the wiring is hit or miss, the windshield is leaking and the doors rattle something fierce. That stuff is mostly cosmetic though. First thing is first I want it to operate safely, so keeping the front tire on the vehicle while I'm driving it seems like a good place to start. Oh yeah and patching the sub frame on the driver side lol.

This poor car has never been quite right, but its never stopped running. It has got me through some terrible winters. When all my other vehicles had broken down the old bird fired up every time and got me by till I could get my other rides fixed. She's earned a restore in my opinion. I've done most the work myself (except pressing the bearings in) and have read the E-pedia up and down looking for answers to my problems myself, but most of the information I find applies to 82 and up. I have even taken it to the mechanic a few times. Most of them look at me like I brought in a unicorn and when I ask them questions about what they think is wrong they stare at me like I just asked them the square root of something. Nothing but young guys in the shops and parts stores these days. At one point a younger mechanic pointed at the carb and said "what's that?" and no he wasn't joking. Most of the time I have to go back and fix things that I paid to have fixed. So I've given up on paying someone to do this crap. I get that it's old tech but heck I'm 31 and I know how to work on it, and I don't even do this for a living or always have the proper tools.

I'm running out of money and skin on my knuckles! Well if nothing else I'm stubborn so I'll keep at it. I still love the car even though it might just be some form of Stockholm syndrome at this point. I appreciate any wisdom, parts leads and letting me vent lol.
1972 Buick skylark custom convertible
1980 AMC eagle 2 door sport

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: Apparently an odd year for an odd car
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 12:35:25 PM »
you say the subframe needs patching maybe this is affecting the drive train causing the bearings to where out
have you had an alignment shop look at it

Offline Senor_taco

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 03:00:00 PM »
I haven't had anyone look at the alignment yet. The sub frame isn't badly damaged (a little crunchy not a full blown hole yet)  and its on the drivers side. My biggest issue is with the passenger side. I realize this could still be affecting it though. I'll probably be patching that when I replace the hubs and shafts. I'm willing to bet the control arm bushings and ball joints aren't helping either. I have replaced the low control arm bushings and ball joint on the passenger side. Would've done them all at once but poverty had other plans for me.  This last time it didn't last even a week It would usually make it 2-3 months and would grind. This time there's no noise but you can feel that tire wobbling. I'm wondering if they didn't collapse one of the races when they pressed it in? I'll have it aligned once I get I bandaged up. I just need her to make it through one more winter, by spring I should have the budget to do it properly. Thanks for responding. :)

Offline Senor_taco

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 03:21:09 PM »
Well I may have answered my own question on the cv shaft.
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=42349.msg328883#msg328883
The one that's in there isn't a solid one like that. So the AM8001 at O'Reilly's should be what I need. I think...

Offline Senor_taco

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 07:16:48 PM »
May have just answered my own question on the 1980 valve cover.
http://amceaglesden.com/guide/index.php?title=How_To_Upgrade_Your_Valve_Cover
Apparently the cheap metal ones will work for my car if I'm reading this right. Someone correct me if I misinterpret any of this info. I'm kind of using this post as a place to store links and get verification / corrected. Lol.

Offline Senor_taco

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 07:29:59 PM »
Found the 1982 and up serviceable hub replacements.
http://rust-free-parts.com/index.html
You pretty much have to call the guy to see what he has available. Got the whole hub assembly, bearings, and even the infamous Axle shaft to bearing spacers, for both driver and passenger. I'll let you guys know if the parts are satisfactory. I'm thinking they will be, he seemed like a good guy.

Offline Senor_taco

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 07:33:28 PM »
There are different steering knuckles too if I remember right. Does anybody know if the serviceable hub assembly will have any problems bolting up to my current knuckles? From what I remember reading it should be fine.

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 11:32:38 PM »
hi, yes the cheap valve covers will work, also any good valve cover from the 70s 258/232 will work, good luck, gz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk