News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:38:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Trim / Emblem removal for paint?  (Read 4527 times)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Trim / Emblem removal for paint?
« on: June 17, 2015, 12:49:37 PM »
I'm going to start stripping my car down soon. Buying a car port, putting it inside and moving ahead with the job. Everything is coming off and out that I can manage.

Anyways, I want to remove all the trim, everything shiney, and so on. I need as many hints and tips so I don't harm the old girl.

GO!

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
Re: Trim / Emblem removal for paint?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 03:31:48 PM »
Trim bends easy and is easy to get frustrated with so take it slow on the removal the window trim slides out in sections versus being pulled off. Also clips tend to be fragile but are easily replaced if broken. If you have the Vinyl top and are looking to remove be ready for some serious elbow grease when sanding or an aircraft paint removal mess.

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 03:36:33 PM »
Trim bends easy and is easy to get frustrated with so take it slow on the removal the window trim slides out in sections versus being pulled off. Also clips tend to be fragile but are easily replaced if broken. If you have the Vinyl top and are looking to remove be ready for some serious elbow grease when sanding or an aircraft paint removal mess.

The large clips around the windshield are now no longer available from most suppliers, though the Jeep dealer has them for about $7/clip.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 06:31:12 PM »
Windshield clips are available via Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MQ5V9C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

$9.33 + shipping buys you a box of 50.

JB
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 06:43:18 PM »
Yupp and depending where you are(shipping cost) most amc's with window trim and some jeeps use same-near identical clips that will work!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 10:11:16 PM »
A box of 50 sounds good. I've taken off the window trim before.

How about the metal trim on the drip rails, around the door windows and such?

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 10:40:14 PM »
I found a few at Napa.
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 10:37:06 PM »
hi most NAPA stores have a big "Binder" type book that has a real physical example of every clip, screw, interior fastener, o ring etc in it. literally hundreds of items, take an example of the clip/fastener  you need in there and ask to look through the book. You will have 99.9% chance of finding a match. I even found replacements for those headlight door screws, the ones with the particularly small heads that are impossible to find elsewhere. no need to mess with ebay for a couple of clips. good luck gz

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 10:05:56 AM »
You can find the small white nylon clips easily, but the larger black clips are no longer made by any supplier I've found.  I'll be glad if I'm wrong.  Both Eagles I have have used the small white clips on the top of the windshield and the large black clips on the sides and bottom.

These are the clips I'm referring to:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 10:11:39 AM by macdude443 »
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 02:32:05 AM »
no, you will not find the EXACT AMC part, but the NAPA book has at least 8 or nine different clips of that sort, you will find one that works. good luck, gz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk