News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 26, 2024, 12:25:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sub Frame Connectors  (Read 10621 times)

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: Sub Frame Connectors
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2015, 01:49:34 AM »
you will also have to modify/cut your transfer case skid plate a little, but this is no big deal. gz

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2015, 09:20:08 AM »
I have been away from my Eagle project for a long time. I'm interested in seeing what the Control Freaks subframe connectors look like installed.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 09:19:12 AM »
I would also like to see pics of these installed, also how would you support the vehicle during install
would you leave it on it's suspension or support by jack stands and let the suspension droop

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2015, 10:15:30 AM »
, also how would you support the vehicle during install
would you leave it on it's suspension or support by jack stands and let the suspension droop

I've wondered the same. You would have to make sure the unibody isn't tweaked from wrong placement of supports if jacked up. Also, I would be tempted to take it to a frame shop first to make sure nothing is out of whack before welding up some connectors.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2015, 10:11:19 PM »
That's a really strong point - I think it'd be important to have the car on a frame rack to make sure its straight before welding anything to it. Probably could get away with noting any strange tire wear and making simple measuring tape measurements to check it without taking it to a frame shop.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2015, 08:51:19 AM »
I was thinking it could be done with a laser underneath the car in the center somewhere, see where it hits on each side and adjust the jack stands accordingly till you get some kind of equality between the sides, or if you could just put the jack stands in certain spots and that would cause the vehicle to level out from its own weight

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2015, 10:59:24 PM »
If you have wheels of a certain type, the Jeep dealer can use their quickie tester to check alignment like they do with TJs. TKs, JKs and my wife's Kia Soul when it comes for an oil change.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2015, 02:05:32 AM »
hi, some of you may be overthinking this. if you have a straight running Eagle, or any car, and add subframe connectors, well, nothing will change, you just have a much more solid car! Now , if your car was in a wreck, and possibly tweaked a bit, you may want to have it straightened out before adding subframe connectors, sure, makes sense. In my case, the car was/is more or less solid, I did not even worry about any frame straightening, and this is with drivers side front frame rail repair as well. Sub frame connectors will actually "lock in" your current frame geometry, which is what you want!  They prevent (or at least seriously slow down), the eventual, and inescapable ravages of time on your Unibody car! ., which is the WHOLE point of sub frame connectors. They keep a straight car straight! Now, if you have more money than you know what to do with, by all means go to a frame shop, have your car checked out, tweaked a bit, and then have your subframe connectors put in, no harm in that at all., just an extra expense. Remember, sub frame connectors do not change a thing, they REINFORCE what you already have. So, unless you plan to run Paris-Dakar @ 10/10ths with your Eagle, and have an absolute need to know the shear strengths of all the metals in your car, putting in sub frame connectors without a frame diagnosis is just fine. Did that on my 82 Eagle 15 or so years ago, and those were home made, see above in this thread. This time decided to try the Control Freak setup, cost a bit more than home made, but well, I liked the look and had a couple of extra bucks, so I went with it. I have to say, it's impressive under there! Eagle looks like a full frame car! As for pictures, sorry, I'm a computer idiot, don't know how to do it, but i'm sure someone else will eventually, good luck y'all! gz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk