News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 19, 2024, 05:26:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: outside door handle problem - MORE  (Read 12686 times)

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: outside door handle problem - MORE
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 12:27:48 AM »
FYI, when it comes to door locks in the winter, the mechanism can get frozen. When you first attempt to pull the handle and it does not move with the usual force, never force it your almost guaranteed to break the mechanism.

What he said!  That is exactly what happened to me!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline chiboy

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 01:18:48 PM »
 to: fulsizjeep

Good thinking about using the rear one, as I remember now I did that too. Swapped the rear to the front, while waiting for my replacement one from Ebay

Chiboy 

Offline fulsizjeep

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
    • Jubilee Jeeps
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 07:28:01 AM »
Too many things in life going on here to swap the front and rear door handles lately.  I did replace the hatch hinges and received the new handle on Tues.  That hatch hinge replacement was fun, NOT.   :(  Tore the driver door down to find the handle was not broken but the clip that holds the linkage on the handle was missing.  What the heck, I put the new handle on.  Everything was fine until I went to connect the linkage and the tab broke right off!  So the old one is back on, lubed and working.  Meh...
Flint
"Hobbes" 1984 Eagle Sport Wagon, 1990 XJ 4.0 w/EFI, TF998/NP229
SW Colorado

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 09:44:42 AM »
Just wanted to let the Nest know that I bought the black replacement handles from 4WD.com to put on my freshly painted Kammback.  They are very nice pieces, very solid.  I'll post pictures once they are installed.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline fulsizjeep

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
    • Jubilee Jeeps
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 09:59:04 PM »
Well, mine is from PORC, it broke and I will be contacting seller for refund.
Flint
"Hobbes" 1984 Eagle Sport Wagon, 1990 XJ 4.0 w/EFI, TF998/NP229
SW Colorado

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk