News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:49:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Backdated" Eagle?  (Read 930 times)

Offline zeebo76

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
"Backdated" Eagle?
« on: April 24, 2022, 12:36:16 AM »
I've been wondering recently if it's possible to "backdate" an Eagle to early 70's-type specifications, similarly to how people do with engines.  De-smog, de-electrify, et cetera.  Make things manual where possible, basically simplify the whole car.  Turn into it into a sort of variant of a 1970 Hornet, in other words, bone simple.  How hard would this be to do?

Offline Paul Revere

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Re: "Backdated" Eagle?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 12:11:35 AM »
I'm not gonna lie, had thoughts of going to a points based ignition system and the Motorcraft carb. But even with the ECM ECM Test on the computer, it's still needed to perform other functions on the car that don't have to do with the engine. So you could never really be free of it without noticing some quality of life issues.

If I ever get tired of the Carter, I might go to the late 80s gm style fuel injection kit route. pretty much the simplest FI kit you can get
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 07:59:45 AM by Paul Revere »

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 05:45:48 PM »
You can.
I brought it up rather recently actually that if you are wired as an '82 or earlier the computer and its subharness can be removed without having to rewire the main harness and the engine won't care because the early CeC doesn't handle spark timing and control. I bet you could even go back to points without any extra effort.

Online Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 07:53:00 PM »
You could always do the ECM Test bypass, this essentially disconnects the computer at the passenger right footboard. Replace the BBD carb with a real motocraft 2150 avoid the chinese made copies. Replace the ignition computer, a motocraft unit on the passenger side fender and nstall a GM style HEI with the coil in cap, these also include a ignition module in the base of the distributor. I believe this is about a basic as you can get without going as far back as points and still fairly reliable.
How strict is your state on emissions equipment inspections? I know CA and PA any of this in a BIG no no.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 08:41:01 PM by Taylor »
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline zeebo76

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 09:16:18 AM »
I live in WA state, where they did away with emissions tests entirely.

I’m actually thinking of 360 swapping the eagle at this point…

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk