News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 09:42:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stalling problems  (Read 49991 times)

OREGONCOWGIRl

Stalling problems
« on: July 26, 2009, 01:05:01 PM »
hey maybe you can help me i have a 1987 amc eagle and it has been stating just fine although lately when i am driving and i come to a stop light it has ben stalling(dyeing) to where i have to restart it again each time i have been comming to a stop light it has died i have gave it a tune up and all can you please give me your input to my problem please thanks!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 03:07:20 PM by IowaEagle »

82wagon

Re: Stalling problems
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 12:29:33 AM »
My 82 would stall occasionally at stoplights or slowing to turn a corner. I cleaned the idle tubes and it helped for while. When it did it again I ordered a kit to upgrade the tubes and added a screen below the tubes. It's been over a year and its never stalled ever again.

Ken

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 06:15:16 PM »
You really don't need the screens and shorter tubes unless you're a serious mudder and/or use crap for gas.   If you just drill out the bottom of the tubes to .030 per the AMC service bulletin; you'll probably be fine (and without spending any $'s!).
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline PAcowboy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
Sometimes, a bad coil will cause these same problems.

Start engine, idles, drives just fine. Then, stop at a light and it's dead. You have to restart it, it's ok, then it happens again.

Years ago, I had a '62 Dodge Dart, 318, push button Torqueflite. It had the same problem. Would keep stalling. A mechanic told me that a weak coil will cause the same problem. Sometimes, a weak coil can be finicky around sources of microwaves.

Every time I pulled into the PA State Police barricks, it would stall. I'd start it, then it would stall, wouldn't run. When I pushed it out of the parking lot, it would start right up and drive just fine, until I took my foot of the pedal.

Steve

Offline eagleluv

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 12:20:06 PM »
my 84 wagon would do the same thing, i was getting tired of 2 foot driving! take a can of carb cleaner and spray aroung vacuums, if there is a leak you'll know! my leak was a missing vacuum line on the top of the intake mani....still not sure where it's supposed to go so i plugged it and she quit stalling......oh i also had a split vac. line going to the EGR valve fixed that also......say ne one know where that line on the top rear of the intake manifold is supposed to go?

Offline jkeifer65

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • 1983 eagle wagon
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 03:28:26 PM »
im going to agree with eagleluv, my buddy had the same thing when he got his 82' most likely you have a leak, for us it was the egr but could really be anything, just use carb cleaner to find the general area, when you spray it and the idle goes up that is where you wana start looking

Offline Pack Rat

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 152
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 03:51:41 PM »
say ne one know where that line on the top rear of the intake manifold is supposed to go?
If it's on the very back right close to the firewall it would be the vacuum for the TC switch unless someone plugged that in somewhere else. Should be a red hard line.

Offline eagleluv

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 01:19:32 AM »
well it's on top of intake manifold very back, it has a t-fitting, one line was attached the other MIA, so i plugged the one and wow did the engine settle down, but no vacuum diagram shows this for 84?

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 07:43:48 PM »
*perks up* Really? Where would one get one of these magic kits & screens? If nothing else, it can't hurt to try! ;D

Regalwizard, I don't think your question ever got answered.  I believe this is the magic kit that was referenced.

http://www.jeepcarterbbdcarb.com/kit.html
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 05:49:30 PM »
My eagle stopped stalling when I overhauled the carb.  Then it was ok.  Now, with it being colder, I'm going to rebuild the carb again, drill out the vac idle lines/tubes in carb as illustrated.  Mine has NOTHING to do with vac lines cuz I tried the carb spray test. 
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline Javelin Man

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 07:12:09 PM »
I suddenly started having this problem today, stalling coming to stops or slow turns.  I was thinking of checking all the vacuum hoses and other items then I remembered that since I last drove it, I had removed a plug from a vent hose near the gas tank.  I put the plug back in and the Eagle doesn't choke anymore at stop signs!  ;D

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 07:19:26 PM »
It doesn't take much to mess them up.  Not like the good, old, old days.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Dreiseratops

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 04:59:23 PM »
Where is this vent hose, Jav Man?
Pics? I had been thinking that my stalling around corners had to do with the power steering and at stops was a slow down shift(er(valve?)) but I kinda want to try your fix.
:)
82 AMC Eagle SX4 - 94 Mazda B2300 - 90 Honda Accord
Craigslist Mechanic - Electronics Interested

Offline Screamin'Eagle

• Soon to be with 401 :)
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 43
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 10:31:24 AM »
I tried all of these fixes yesterday to get my 85 wagon to quit stalling out and missing at lower Rpms and nothing helped. 

I even went as far as to do a entire tuneup with cap, rotor, plugs, wires, pcv and  filters. I also changed out about 12' of vacuum line.  Nothing helped.

Spraying carb cleaner everywhere did not raise the rpms up at all Either. 

Runs like a champ on the Hwy no stuttering or missing in the upper rpm range..   

I am at a loss, I really wanted the car to be at least a driver for now.

I assume it is carb related and I have decided To try the Motorcraft 2100.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk