News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 18, 2024, 07:31:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Priya's SX/4 project  (Read 339358 times)

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
Re: Priya's SX/4 project
« Reply #585 on: May 07, 2012, 11:38:33 AM »
On Ward's behalf, thanks guys!

I don't remember if Ward primed the lifters.  Hearing the tick in person it doesn't really sound like a lifter to me, it's a little louder and has more of a ringing sound to it than the lifter ticks I'm familiar with.

Further to the video:  You can see the oil pressure gauge in the video but the numbers are not legible.  It shows 45 psi at idle.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 11:46:08 AM by priya »

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #586 on: May 07, 2012, 07:11:10 PM »
Hmmmm , perplexed now -lol.
wouldn't be a rocker arm tapping the underside of the valve cover ? probably impossible but your comment on "ringing" made me think of aluminum.sounds different than steel when tapped.
The only other thought would be something on the ( I forgot if it's an auto or standard ) - flywheel or tourque converter hitting....... I just might have to listen to that video again : )

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #587 on: May 07, 2012, 07:13:40 PM »
exhaust manifold leak ???

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #588 on: May 07, 2012, 07:57:22 PM »
It's an automatic 68AMXGOPAC.  I spoke to the hubby about it a few minutes ago, he's pretty sure its a lifter noise although it didn't sound that way to me.   He says he did pre-lube the lifters but the motor has sat for 2 years and on an inline 6 there had to be at least one valve open and that would have collapsed the lifter probably after 6 months or less and then it sat like that for all  this time.  He figures no worries as the noise did lessen significantly from the time it first started until he made the video.

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #589 on: May 07, 2012, 10:39:35 PM »
Cool , hope it works itself out and quiets down.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #590 on: May 08, 2012, 01:24:00 PM »
I don't know what weight of oil was used Casper, I'll ask hubby tonight.  I wasn't paying close attention but would say we ran the motor for aproximately 5 to 10 minutes.

Offline max98059

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #591 on: May 08, 2012, 01:41:57 PM »
looks great. very nice build. so what kind of plans do u have when its finished?

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #592 on: May 08, 2012, 02:10:04 PM »
looks great. very nice build. so what kind of plans do u have when its finished?

Thanks Max.  First thing,  get it washed, take it to some nice scenery and get some more pictures of exterior and interior in the sunshine where I can control angles of the car and picture framing much better than I could in and in front of the garage.  This is going to be my winter car but we've decided we're going to keep it licensed all year round and drive it this summer to shake out the bugs.  I have my Corvette for my summer car but the Eagle is more practical and comfortable for getting groceries and so on.  I'd like to make some trips to friends and relatives places to show it off as well.

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Never thought i'd have one but know i always will!
« Reply #593 on: May 08, 2012, 02:18:06 PM »
I'm not a big fan of the colors, but that being said I think the work you have done it amazing! Top notch job!! I egged ya cuz color aside (just personal preference) it look amazing!! I look foward to seeing overall finished pics,

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #594 on: May 08, 2012, 02:28:10 PM »
Thanks a lot Standup650.  I know the colours aren't for everyone, most people I spoke to about my possible paint schemes said "Don't do it, those weird colours will really hurt the resale value.".  That didn't matter to me though, lots of people pay big dollars to get a car to their liking and I figure if it costs me a couple thousand on resale (not that I intend to ever sell) I'm happy to pay that price to have something that appeals strongly to me.

Offline max98059

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #595 on: May 08, 2012, 02:39:56 PM »
yea i can agree Priya to the resale. i would much rather have a car that is what i want and not some car that u can go buy off the dealer lot. i think if your building a car build it the way you want it to be. its your car first and foremost not someone else's car.

Prafeston

« Reply #596 on: May 08, 2012, 02:41:32 PM »
I love that you did it your way and I think the colors are really nice together...the only thing I don't really like is the light blue interior.

I would like to know how you went about refinishing/painting the wheels. They look really great!

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #597 on: May 08, 2012, 02:58:00 PM »
Thanks for the support, Max 98059.

Prafeston, even though blue is my favourite colour I didn't really like that light blue interior shade either,  I prefer a medium bright "electric blue" like I put on the exterior.  For the longest time while I was building it I kept thinking a black interior would be much more desirable but by the time I got to the interior I'd spent all the money I'd budgeted for this car so I hesitated to replace it.  When I saw purple carpet was available I decided I'd try combining the light blue interior with purple, and to my surprise it completely changed the way I feel about that light blue.  To me the purple contrasts really well with the blue interior and now I definitely prefer the light blue/purple interior over a black one.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 03:48:46 PM by priya »

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #598 on: May 08, 2012, 03:01:39 PM »
I would like to know how you went about refinishing/painting the wheels. They look really great!

I didn't do the wheels myself.  They were pretty tired looking with all the clear coat gone, a lot of oxidation and minor dings.  I took them to a shop that specializes in restoring aluminum wheels.  They've got a computer controlled lathe, they painted the wheels the electric blue colour I gave them the code for, they mount the tire on the lathe and it removes a few thousandths of an inch of the exterior aluminum to make them look super good and remove the blue from where it doesn't belong and then clearcoat them.  I couldn't believe how good they looked finished compared to what they looked like initially.

Prafeston

« Reply #599 on: May 08, 2012, 03:10:27 PM »
They look so good I was curious if it wasn't a professional job...so how much does something like that set you back? More than the cost of the wheels! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk