News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 18, 2024, 06:11:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Priya's SX/4 project  (Read 339354 times)

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
Re: Priya's SX/4 project
« Reply #465 on: November 02, 2011, 01:23:53 PM »
I can't believe you're going to drive it in winter.  I realize that's what Eagles are meant for, but if I had that much time, effort, and money invested into one... well, I'd do my best to ensure it never saw snow or road salt again.

I drive my '86 wagon year round, but I have a very minimal investment into it.  I'm pretty diligent about washing it frequently during winter to keep the salt knocked off, but rust is still becoming a problem.

There's not only the rust factor, but the other drivers around you.  All it takes is one idiot with bald tires and/or no concept of winter driving, and your many years of work is negated in a second.
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #466 on: November 02, 2011, 01:33:59 PM »
There's not only the rust factor, but the other drivers around you.  All it takes is one idiot with bald tires and/or no concept of winter driving, and your many years of work is negated in a second.

If you talk to your insurance company, and they seem the vehicle to be 'worth it' or a hard to replace vehicle, you can get them to do an agreed value policy, so if it is written off, you don't have to fight about the price after the fact.

If it's going to happen either way, you might as well be protected.

There is usually a minimum value, and age range, unless the vehicle is listed as heavily modified.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #467 on: November 02, 2011, 01:41:02 PM »
I can't believe you're going to drive it in winter.  I realize that's what Eagles are meant for, but if I had that much time, effort, and money invested into one... well, I'd do my best to ensure it never saw snow or road salt again.

Yes, that's a common reaction when I tell people this is going to be my winter car.  I tell them it isn't any different than someone spending $30,000 - $50,000 on a new car and then driving it year round, winters included
If you talk to your insurance company, and they seem the vehicle to be 'worth it' or a hard to replace vehicle, you can get them to do an agreed value policy, so if it is written off, you don't have to fight about the price after the fact.

There is usually a minimum value, and age range, unless the vehicle is listed as heavily modified.
Yes, I'll do what I did with my Corvette.  I'll get it appraised and then I can get insurance coverage for the appraised amount.  I'm guessing it'll be appraised at around $5000 which is nowhere near what I have into it (in labour in particular) but at least if it get's written off I won't have them saying "An 81 Eagle goes for
$800, here's your cheque for $300".

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #468 on: November 02, 2011, 01:59:02 PM »
If its any consolation to you El Matador, I typically don't drive any more than 2-3000 miles a year so the Eagle will actually only get 1000- 1500 miles a winter on it.

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #469 on: November 02, 2011, 02:19:38 PM »

Yes, I'll do what I did with my Corvette.  I'll get it appraised and then I can get insurance coverage for the appraised amount.  I'm guessing it'll be appraised at around $5000 which is nowhere near what I have into it (in labour in particular) but at least if it get's written off I won't have them saying "An 81 Eagle goes for
$800, here's your cheque for $300".

Yep! That's exactly what I was talking about.  ;D
It's so much easier than fighting them for a value when the car is written off.

Generally, when they do that, they'll also cover if the vehicle was in an accident, and say was worth.. 10,000$. It cost 3,000$ to repair, but now it's only reappraised for 5,000$ because of the accident. In my policy it states they'll sent me a cheque for the 2,000$ lost in value (basically, value lost minus repair costs) after the repair, which is pretty neat.

With anything older than 15 or so year's, it's really a smart way to go, if you have a decent amount of money tied up in the car.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #470 on: November 03, 2011, 04:30:57 PM »
Well, I got my Eagle outside today to get some pictures of the current state of the car.  Here they are:

Prafeston

« Reply #471 on: November 03, 2011, 04:45:15 PM »
It looks great... a little naked minus the wipers! :)

I mentioned this in the Nov. EOTM thread, but I'd be curious to see what it would look like with black Handles...or maybe even the blue to match the rest of the car...

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #472 on: November 03, 2011, 04:46:50 PM »
Blue door handles sounds interesting, but I wouldn't know how to do it and have the paint stick.

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
« Reply #473 on: November 03, 2011, 04:59:09 PM »
Proud supplier of mirrors and steering wheel to the Priya SX/4.  ;D

I should show this to my daughter, she loves purple.  I hope you do as you said earlier, and keep the winter miles to a minimum.  All of your hard work deserves to be preserved!
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #474 on: November 03, 2011, 05:05:16 PM »
Wow, that thing is just gorgeous! 
87 Eagle Woody Wagon "Virginia" 4.2 Auto 174k

Offline Hawk258

• Theoretical Customizer with Dilutions of engineering greatness
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • With Great horsepower comes great FUN!
« Reply #475 on: November 03, 2011, 05:22:23 PM »
Couldn't you use some prepainted black handles from a Jeep? Then you could paint it I think.

Ingenuity through stupidity, Do something stupid and through Ingenuity you will find a way out of it.

1981 AMC Eagle (Currently in need of a bellhousing OR the project to iron it's self out)

1982 Subaru Brat White (Daily driver inheritence from mom ((Don't worry mom I won't break it))
other prior vehicles include:
1985 Dodge (OMNI) charger
1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit
1982 AMC Eagle wagon (Was going to be parts car)

Prafeston

« Reply #476 on: November 03, 2011, 05:33:28 PM »
Couldn't you use some prepainted black handles from a Jeep? Then you could paint it I think.

Yeah, I was just thinking to use the Jeep Black handles...not actually painting hers black...though if she wanted to do the Blue to match then yeah, the Jeep handles would still probably be easier to paint over than the Eagle Chrome ones.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #477 on: November 03, 2011, 05:38:32 PM »
Proud supplier of mirrors and steering wheel to the Priya SX/4.  ;D

I should show this to my daughter, she loves purple.  I hope you do as you said earlier, and keep the winter miles to a minimum.  All of your hard work deserves to be preserved!

Wow, that thing is just gorgeous! 

Truly amazing!! Words fall short.

Aww, shucks, thanks everyone.  I owe a great debt to the Eagle nest and all its members who supplied parts, expertise, advice and encouragement, without your help I couldn't have done this.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #478 on: November 03, 2011, 05:41:03 PM »
It is amazing. Makes want to repaint mine. Truely inspiring.

Manitowoc WI

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #479 on: November 03, 2011, 05:57:57 PM »
Thanks Mudkicker!  I've owned roughly 50 cars in my time and while I had quite a few favourites in some ways this is my all-time favourite because so much effort has gone into it and its the first car I've had that's been highly tailored to my personal tastes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk