News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 18, 2024, 05:26:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Priya's SX/4 project  (Read 339350 times)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
Re: Priya's SX/4 project
« Reply #285 on: October 20, 2010, 12:17:09 AM »
OMG!  that is freaky.  I can't wait to see this done.  You gotta post lots of pics.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #286 on: October 20, 2010, 12:38:14 AM »
LOL, yes, this SX/4 is going to be out of the ordinary.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #287 on: October 20, 2010, 06:36:52 AM »
Was that a special order dye job?    The two door models listed by all of these carpet people are for the 30 series cars.  So far, at least to my knowledge, we have not found carpets specific to either of the 50 series cars.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #288 on: October 20, 2010, 07:56:30 AM »
Looks to me , by the way it is laying in the pic, the front would be the upper right hand side,short back edge indents on the left would be the rear seat area,the longer runs up the front edge would go up under the dash area......just my opinion.The carpet I got for the AMX had the same issues.All wrinkled and jammed in the box,it layed down ok, but it was summer and I let it sit on the roof of the car in the sun to soften in up better.If you have the time you can allwasy lay it out inside get it lined up pretty well, and wieght it down in the seat well areas to get it to drwa down into them and let it set, or warm it up in tough spots with a hair dryer, or even one of those hand clothes steamers.The seat bolts will help draw it down, the toughest area I think will be the shifter/tranny hump.I would say start there and work it out from there centered and toward all the outer edges.
   Good luck !! ( I used to put wall to wall down in houses , and custom work ) LOL< and yeah where did you get PURPLE ??

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #289 on: October 20, 2010, 09:25:33 AM »
LOL, yes, this SX/4 is going to be out of the ordinary.

It's gonna be soo freaking cool, I can't wait to see her finished.  Everytime I check the 'replies to your posts' and I see this come up, I'm thinking, "is it done now? is it done now..?"  Man, I'm almost willing to head out there, just to see it.  you're in Sack, right?  Bloody heck, that's only 6-7 hours drive from me...  It's tempting just to see it...

You got decent and cheap motels out your way?????  j/k

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #290 on: October 20, 2010, 11:26:19 AM »
Was that a special order dye job?   

No, its one of the "neon" carpet colours they offer in their ads which include orange, hot pink, and the royal purple I ordered.  There's a $17 dollar extra charge for the neon colours on top of the $115 standard carpet price.

The two door models listed by all of these carpet people are for the 30 series cars.  So far, at least to my knowledge, we have not found carpets specific to either of the 50 series cars.

What are the 30 and 50 series cars?  Do all the 30 series cars take the same carpet and do all the 50 series cars take the same carpet?

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
« Reply #291 on: October 20, 2010, 11:30:20 AM »
What are the 30 and 50 series cars?

The 30 series are the "large" Eagles and the 50 series are the Kammback and SX/4.

Do all the 30 series cars take the same carpet and do all the 50 series cars take the same carpet?

Yes, I believe so.

By the way, which vendor did you order that carpet from?
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #292 on: October 20, 2010, 11:35:42 AM »
Wow $115is not a bad price (even the extra still cheaper than many I've seen).
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #293 on: October 20, 2010, 11:37:51 AM »
Looks to me , by the way it is laying in the pic, the front would be the upper right hand side,short back edge indents on the left would be the rear seat area,the longer runs up the front edge would go up under the dash area......just my opinion.

I can tell where the front edge is from the heel pad for the dirver's side footwell.  The front edge is the lower right hand side of the picture, the heel pad is just above the green vest in the picture and just below the brown table corner with the red package on it.

The carpet I got for the AMX had the same issues.All wrinkled and jammed in the box,it layed down ok, but it was summer and I let it sit on the roof of the car in the sun to soften in up better.If you have the time you can allwasy lay it out inside get it lined up pretty well, and wieght it down in the seat well areas to get it to drwa down into them and let it set, or warm it up in tough spots with a hair dryer, or even one of those hand clothes steamers.The seat bolts will help draw it down, the toughest area I think will be the shifter/tranny hump.I would say start there and work it out from there centered and toward all the outer edges.
   Good luck !! ( I used to put wall to wall down in houses , and custom work ) LOL< and yeah where did you get PURPLE ??

Thanks for the suggestions, that's helpful.  Here's where I got the purple carpet from:

http://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCarpet.asp?Itemid=8049&MakeId=2&ModelId=9

I got this link from nest member nwamc who also used it in his SX/4 after some cutting.  He just cut it off at the rear part which he says cut out part of the rear footwell so he suggests cutting out the extra in the middle of the carpet under the front seats.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #294 on: October 20, 2010, 11:55:34 AM »
It's gonna be soo freaking cool, I can't wait to see her finished.  Everytime I check the 'replies to your posts' and I see this come up, I'm thinking, "is it done now? is it done now..?"  Man, I'm almost willing to head out there, just to see it.  you're in Sack, right?  Bloody heck, that's only 6-7 hours drive from me...  It's tempting just to see it...

You got decent and cheap motels out your way?????  j/k

Yes, I'm pretty slow at this but I do eventuallly get it done.  I'm having a hard time getting restarted on this since the paint went on.  We were in a hurry to get the paint done before the busy season at the body shop (plus my summer car was about to go into storage and I have nothing to drive until the SX/4 is done) and I was working for 3 weeks almost straight through except for one day off so after the paint went on it was like "that's a relief, we can take a break for a bit now".  That was about 3 weeks ago and I haven't done much of anything on the car although hubby's partially assembled the motor while I shouted encouragement.

Yes, I'm in Saskatchewan.  Hubby and I were discussing hotels here a few months ago, I was thinking there must be some for $50-60 a night, he said, no way, they're all expensive unless you get a hotel in the 'hood where your car will be vandalized the night you park it, and the hotel will lieave a chunk of hash on your pillow at night.  I can't even offer to put you up here because we have a very small house and its jam-packed to the rafters with stuff.  When I'm done I'll check into cheap hotels and get back to you ;)

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #295 on: October 20, 2010, 11:58:32 AM »
What are the 30 and 50 series cars?

The 30 series are the "large" Eagles and the 50 series are the Kammback and SX/4.

Do all the 30 series cars take the same carpet and do all the 50 series cars take the same carpet?

Yes, I believe so.

By the way, which vendor did you order that carpet from?

Thanks, that clears up that confusion.  See my post #293 for the link to the carpet vendor.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #296 on: October 20, 2010, 12:01:22 PM »
That is wild.  I wonder what color to choose if my interior is 'honey'.  Not bad pricing either.  I'd probably have to send them a small section to match it up right.  

Also, it would be nice to get carpet that's a little harder wearing then just plush carpet.

Yeah, no worries about staying.  I mean it would be really cool to come out, and see it all for myself, but it's not feasible for me.  Anyways, I wouldn't expect or even ask for you to put me up (that's very kind you would consider it - Thank you), and I'd hate to have my car wrecked on a trip.  So no worries... but you gotta post tons of pics once it's done... maybe even post a video of the walk around?

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #297 on: October 20, 2010, 12:07:35 PM »
Wow $115is not a bad price (even the extra still cheaper than many I've seen).

With the floor mats (surcharge on those for neon colours as well) and 2 yards of flat purple carpet it was about $200, the killer is the shipping.  They shipped it UPS even though I told them not to and they charged me $146 up front and the last time I had something shipped UPS they've later sent me a bill beyond the up front charges for an extra 20% of the up front shipping charges for taxes and duty  and an extra 150% of the upfront shipping charges for "brokerage fees"  so I'm expecting another bill from UPS for around $250 for total shipping costs of roughly $400.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #298 on: October 20, 2010, 12:12:24 PM »
Also, it would be nice to get carpet that's a little harder wearing then just plush carpet.

Yeah, no worries about staying.  I mean it would be really cool to come out, and see it all for myself, but it's not feasible for me.  Anyways, I wouldn't expect or even ask for you to put me up (that's very kind you would consider it - Thank you), and I'd hate to have my car wrecked on a trip.  So no worries... but you gotta post tons of pics once it's done... maybe even post a video of the walk around?

No problem,  I'll post lots of pictures when its done and I can manage a video too.

ACC offers a heavy duty backing for the carpet for an extra charge, not sure if that's what you're thinking of in terms of harder wearing.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #299 on: October 20, 2010, 12:15:23 PM »
With the floor mats (surcharge on those for neon colours as well) and 2 yards of flat purple carpet it was about $200, the killer is the shipping.  They shipped it UPS even though I told them not to and they charged me $146 up front and the last time I had something shipped UPS they've later sent me a bill beyond the up front charges for an extra 20% of the up front shipping charges for taxes and duty  and an extra 150% of the upfront shipping charges for "brokerage fees"  so I'm expecting another bill from UPS for around $250 for total shipping costs of roughly $400.

Check that, the total bill was $447, so it was about $250 up front for shipping.  If they send me another bill for 170 percent of that on top it'll be a reall killer - I might as well have driven down to the factory to pick it up myself.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk