News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 09:19:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: After a 12 year hiatus...  (Read 1540 times)

Offline T5258

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 14
After a 12 year hiatus...
« on: October 18, 2019, 03:51:34 PM »
So, it would seem that my daughter now has the Eagle bug...12 years after I sold my last AMC.  I just picked up an 87 wagon that needs A LOT of work.  One question I have is regarding the front diff/axle.  I can't remember if all 4.2's built from 80-up have the bosses for the front diff.  The engine in the car is from an 82 (so says the stamping on the block-205C12).  The axle came with the car...in the hatch, so I'm wondering if the engine was swapped & there was no provision for the axle, or if someone just gave up on the re-install & left it out...it is good to be back here though!!
1987 Eagle Limited
1985 Corvette
2009 Avalanche LT
2011 Volvo C30

remember:  no matter where you go.......there you are

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: After a 12 year hiatus...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 06:27:28 PM »
Welcome back and good luck with the new project!!

It is my understanding that once they started making the Eagle, all 4.2 engines had the bosses for the front axle, and that even carried over to the 4.0 engines for awhile. 
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 12:20:40 PM »
Welcome back.
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline Baskinator4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 09:48:47 AM »
The stock '96 4.0 I swapped in had the holes drilled and tapped for the front axle mounts already, so I think you're safe. Just make sure that you still have the brackets to mount the front diff. There's one bracket that bolts to the top of the diff, one that braces the pinion, and one that hangs the axle from the passenger side.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk