News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:23:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Seatbelt warning wiring keeps failing  (Read 903 times)

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
Seatbelt warning wiring keeps failing
« on: February 09, 2023, 10:35:06 AM »
It seems that every six months the wire immediately outside the driver's seatbelt buckle fails internally from the buckle flexing and flopping around when I get in and out and I have to splice repair the break or the buzzer doesn't work. Hardwiring or completely disabling the buzzer is a no-go so does anyone have any good ideas on what wire I can splice in that can survive an awful lot of flexing and twisting?

Online Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
Re: Seatbelt warning wiring keeps failing
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 07:27:49 PM »
At this point I am not sure of a suggestion, other than possibly pulling the similar section of wire out of a newer car that has modern wire installed. It might work and it might be a better option than experimentation with random sample bought on line or local.
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline Illeagle1984

• Manic Mechanic
  • Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 06:35:40 PM »
I've dealt with flexing failures like that in door jamb wiring.  I would suggest 12-gauge wire.  Also, look inside the wire.  If it has like 8 fat strands, it will not last.  The wire should have very fine, hair-like strands of copper inside.

If you have the room, an extra loop or two in the wire could help spread out the flex.

If the loop won't work, get some good heat shrink tubing, the kind with the sealant/glue inside.  Apply it to the entire area that flexes and beyond; try to extend it past the splices.  I've used even two or three layers of heat shrink for added flex resistance.  This method seems to be the most durable.
It's getting crowded down here:
1973 Ford Mustang "Rustang"
1984 AMC Eagle Sedan "IllEagle" 183k
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon "Eagle 2"
1996 Cadillac Eldorado 178k
1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 239k
2002 Cadillac Eldorado Doral Edition
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 179k

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2023, 07:17:34 PM »
It did it again. Failed right at the most rigid part of the cable: next to the soldered splice.

Next idea: High flexibility silicone wire.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk