News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 06, 2024, 07:43:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Summer Job!  (Read 111582 times)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
Re: Summer Job!
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2011, 12:21:42 AM »
It's coming along really well.  Nice work.  Have an egg for all your hard work fixing up, saving an eagle

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2011, 12:35:38 AM »
Thanks! Next comes brake lines, exhaust, and fluids so I can drive it around the yard some more :)

Then parking brake, motor mounts, spark plugs/wires, distributor cap/rotor, vacuum hoses, shifter button, door handle, fuses, gauges, and finally welding. Probably some other stuff I can't think of off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 02:04:23 AM by Baskinator »
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2011, 10:13:47 PM »
So I think while I'm waiting to do other things, I'm going to attempt taking my valve cover off to clean up and replace the gasket. However, I have to make sure first which engine I actually have. I've been struggling to figure this out, and was told by the PO that it was a crate engine from a '95 Wrangler (which would make it a 4.0 242 I6, originally fuel injected). Don't know if anyone can tell anything from the pictures above, but the only number I found on the engine was on a plate around the #2 and #3 spark plugs I believe. It says "S 95600 80", and I couldn't find anything on the internet for it.

I know I'm gonna have trouble getting at the bolt by the firewall, it's too small of an area to get my socket wrench in, let alone the socket itself.

Another thing, does anybody know if stainless braided vacuum lines are any better, or if they're just for show? They'd look great in place of the normal hoses, but cost way too much for me to use just for looks. Something like these:
http://www.amazon.com/Spectre-19125-Stainless-Steel-Flex-Vacuum/dp/B00062ZQQK

« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 10:09:45 PM by Baskinator »

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2011, 11:45:39 PM »
About the back bolt - it has been suggested on here that you can drill a 1/2"hole in that overhanging lip of the firewall and get to the bolt that way.  Afterwards you can plug the hole with a rubber plug.
Another solution is to do what the so called mechanic did when he repleced the motor in my 83 - he used a torch and cut out a section of the firewall.  He had major health problems and hasn't been around since then.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2011, 01:07:09 AM »
I'll take the drilling suggestion into consideration. I have yet to try getting to it with a universal joint on my socket wrench.

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2011, 01:13:57 AM »
You got the right idea on this project. Ive been putting off My wagon project cuz I need alot of costly engine and tranny parts...I just got inspired to start tackling the brake system....a bit more affordable at this point in time.....Thanks for the inspiration!! Its the kick in the butt Ive been needing. ;D
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2011, 06:17:44 AM »
That back bolt only needs a u joint to pop it off. No drilling or cutting required. Its off quick that way.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2011, 10:46:48 AM »
that head looks like a 4.0 head to me. not a 4.2 thats for sure. atleast not like in my 83 and 82 sx4's. looks just like my 93 4.0.

Alright, I'll go with the jeep valve cover gasket and hold my breath. Thanks!

shanebo- glad I could inspire, I wouldn't even know where to start with engine/trans problems. I actually found doing the brakes sort of fun (once I actually got the rusty old ones off, which was a pain). Good luck on your project! I've found that selling things on the "list" helps for a little extra cash. Maybe even put up a wanted ad or two.

I'll use the u joint first and save the drilling as an absolute last resort. I wouldn't think you'd need to drill anything, since people work on these all the time.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2011, 09:35:12 PM »
Spent the afternoon removing, cleaning, and replacing my valve cover and new cork gasket. I used a u joint to get at the back bolt. It was still a pain, but at least it worked. I did my best to keep all the dirt and gunk from the old gasket out of the valve area, but I had to scrape some of it off. Hopefully there's nothing real bad in there, I cleaned it up pretty well.

This is after I cleaned where the cover sits, couldn't get a before picture because my phone started freaking out.

Dirty valve cover with old cork gasket sealed on.

Top of dirty valve cover.

Valve cover after cleaning, scrubbing with wire brush, and install.

I'll probably paint it eventually, but I have many more important things to do first.

Also put on some new fuel line hoses with new clamps, and at least one vacuum line. Only about a hundred to go ;)

Smitch

« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2011, 05:28:09 AM »
That looks a lot better!!  ;D

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2011, 06:20:15 PM »
Question: My header has a hole on the left side, like the one in this picture below, which I assume is for the preheater hose that goes to the original air cleaner. Will I need to plug this hole for emissions/inspection to use my new air cleaner, and if so, what can I do to plug it? Thanks!

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2011, 06:30:11 PM »
I wouldn't think so, noting illegal about running an aftermarket air cleaner
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2011, 07:02:04 PM »
The preheater is just a piece of sheet metal arround the manifold. There is no need to plug it.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2011, 10:22:36 PM »
The reason I would think this needs to be plugged is because there's exhaust coming out of the hole that isn't going through the catalytic converter, so obviously it would look bad to someone inspecting it. I guess I'll wait and see, worst case I have to find some kind of cap...

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2011, 10:56:46 PM »
The preheater is just a piece of sheet metal arround the manifold. There is no need to plug it.

Ah nevermind, I understand now. The reason I thought it was exhaust coming out was because it was smoking when I looked at it with the engine running today. Something must've gotten up in there when I pressure washed it yesterday(probably just water, duh) and then burned up to make smoke. I did feel it with my hand and found it odd that the manifold metal was so thin there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk