News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:52:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1983 sedan offroad eagle  (Read 12780 times)

Offline jonb8

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
1983 sedan offroad eagle
« on: March 07, 2013, 06:33:20 AM »
I've been building jeeps for alot of years and I'm tired of cj's, yj's, tj's, mj's and xj's. I've built so many I'm bored so after researching a 4x4 I could keep street legal and realistically get a 4.0L motor and Aw4 in, I came up with the eagle as my next project. It wasn't easy finding a good candidate (I wanted a sx4 bad) I finally found a sedan and brought it home last week. By the way I secretly hold a grudge against all sx4 owners because I'm petty and I couldn't find one I could afford... ;D    The guy's in my offroad club are already giving me alot of crap about the eagle but I think there just worried a little about how far I'll actually take it....It's a 83 sedan with 86000 miles and it's share of rust but nothing real bad.

Offline jonb8

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
Re: 1983 sedan offroad eagle
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 06:50:33 AM »
After alot of measuring I found that the rear is exactly like a cherokee (except the shock mounts are backwards) so I'll be doing a s10 combination pack and a 410 8.25 chrystler rear axle with upgraded shackles...at least that's easy and shouldn't take more than a day, but the front is a different story. The front unibody is wider than the spring mounts of a D30 cherokee axle, I looked at Mick's pics hard and I can tell he didn't move the spring buckets on the axle but it almost looks like he used short springs and put them on the bottom of the unibody rail...Just can't really see for sure. I'm toying with the idea replacing the front unibody rails with a cherokee rail, I know it's alot of work but I'll get the front coil spring mounts, motor mounts for 4.0L, steering box and track bar mount. Also more hump in rails for axle travel.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 06:54:40 AM by jonb8 »

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 07:25:02 PM »
I've been building jeeps for alot of years and I'm tired of cj's, yj's, tj's, mj's and xj's. I've built so many I'm bored so after researching a 4x4 I could keep street legal and realistically get a 4.0L motor and Aw4 in, I came up with the eagle as my next project. The guy's in my offroad club are already giving me alot of crap about the eagle but I think there just worried a little about how far I'll actually take it....

I had the same deal when I built my SX4, and 'wheeled with all the other guys that had Jeeps and the like.  I was definitely the "odd ball".  If you are planning to do the hard core trails that seem to be the norm nowadays, you will need to build it strong (like Mick's and mine). I tried it at first with just a lift and bigger tires, and it did not work very well.  I then went to Dana 44's, lockers, 410:1 gears, and 33" tires just to keep up.  A full frame is a must as well, as there is not much to attach to on the stock uni-body construction.  Do yourself a favor, and look up all the modified Eagle threads, and take the best of all the designs.  Having a comfortable, capable off/on road Eagle is an awesome thing!  Just having windows and A/C, and being able to carry the family or your buddies on the trail is a lot of fun, and is not something that most Jeeps can do (at least not for the same amount of money).
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline jonb8

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 09:35:43 PM »
I'm wanting to run 33's, or a set of 34/10.50's I got in the building. I'm a fair fab guy but I brought in the experts tonight to do some measuring and inspection for the stupid idea I have.   ;D  I'm wanting to chop the eagle unibody rails (rails only) off behind the crossmember and fab in unibody rails off a cherokee back to the front. Then chop up the side engine compartment panels to fit back in to reinforce rails and get the fenders back on..  Big job and alot of fab, but so is building spring buckets, trackbar bracket, engine mounts and steering box drop.....I want it to look like it came from the factory this way and make alot of people scratch there heads, plus all replacement parts will be cherokee and easy to come by...Here's some of mine...

This is my 355 sbc xj

My wifes mud racer with a 4.5 stroker

This is my chopped up Comanche In Harlan Ky

Here's a pic of our clubs Bounty hole competition in my trail jeep, it's a beater but always seems to get me home.

This is a truck were building to race in the East coast offroad racing series this year...It's bobbed 12in and fully caged. This was a renix 5 speed truck and I swapped it over to 95 ho and aw4 harness,

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 09:54:04 PM »
Nice collection of Jeeps. There was a guy at the Rambler Ranch meet in Colorado last year that is doing exactly what you are proposing. He is using the whole front subframe from an XJ on his wagon. Unfortunately, he's not on this site. He is a frame guy at a body shop and thought it would be a pretty straight forward swap for him. I have no idea how far he has gotten on the project though. Good luck.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 10:05:24 PM »
You do good work - and have fun doing it!!!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 11:53:26 PM »
I'm wanting to run 33's, or a set of 34/10.50's I got in the building. I'm a fair fab guy but I brought in the experts tonight to do some measuring and inspection for the stupid idea I have.   ;D  I'm wanting to chop the eagle unibody rails (rails only) off behind the crossmember and fab in unibody rails off a cherokee back to the front. Then chop up the side engine compartment panels to fit back in to reinforce rails and get the fenders back on..  Big job and alot of fab, but so is building spring buckets, trackbar bracket, engine mounts and steering box drop.....I want it to look like it came from the factory this way and make alot of people scratch there heads, plus all replacement parts will be cherokee and easy to come by...Here's some of mine...

That seems like a cool way to go.  Yes it is a lot of work, but to get it to look like it came from the factory that way would be awesome!  We wish you great success.  Of course we always say here: "If there is no photos, it didn't happen".
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline jonb8

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 08:11:23 PM »
I agree on photo's and as you can tell so far I like them too. I've pulled some favors on this build and it'll be me, Morris which owns a body shop, Doug which is a union sheet metal worker and can weld/have anything made where he works and Jason which is a local racecar builder. Were gonna build a frame machine in my garage out of 2 peices of 8 inch I-beam so we got a level table to start all the measuring from.....I'm starting to get some parts together and should be ready to start in a month.....

Offline jonb8

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 08:08:26 AM »
I found a donor xj the other day, and bought it for the eagle project (minus tires, wheels and winch) it has a new 5 in lift, the drivetrain/axles are perfect and the unibody is very clean. Are club is leaving for Harlan Ky in 6 weeks for 4 day's so I'm gonna take this jeep and have fun with it before I cut it up for the Eagle... More fun taking something I can abuse the body on.... :occasion14:

Offline jonb8

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 06:50:28 AM »
I got everything in for the long arms, I'm gonna long arm this XJ for Harlan then it will already be done for the eagle. If I do it right the crossmember should bolt in.....If not I'll cut them apart and modify them later.

Offline jonb8

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 06:44:39 AM »
There was some measuring and brainstorming this weekend on the Eagle project. The idea of just cutting the passenger compartment floor out and swapping it with the cherokee's popped up. That'll give us the unibody, crossmember and late model xj seats., not that I don't like the retro seats but I wanna mount my shifter between the seats. My eagle floors could use some work anyway and I have a rust free 01 xj for parts. That would also give me unibody to the rear springs were the unibody's line up, could be an option.

Offline jonb8

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 09:11:16 AM »
finally got my long arms and crossmember done, gonna try to get the eagle in the garage right after Harlan. We are gonna swap the entire floor for the xj floor. I think it's gonna be easier to keep everything square and I won't have to build a frame table to keep it all in line. Now getting enough bracing in the eagle to keep it square while the floors are out is gonna be a different story.  :-\

Offline jonb8

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 07:28:27 AM »
Eagle has been on hold because of are Harlan trip but I got home last night and already itching to start. The xj I took did awsome, I lost a couple driver side axle shafts and the ARB blew a seal internally but all in all a great trip. I'll post up some pics when I get everything unloaded and back to normal.

Offline jonb8

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 05:38:40 AM »
Had the eagle in the garage yesterday doing some teardown and measuring and it looks like I'm going to have some firewall problems. There's no relief for the crank sensor and the xj motor sits back into a notch that I can't weld in out of the xj because of the windshield wiper motor and heater box. Looks like the 4.0 will have to be moved forward. So if the factory mounts won't work might just look into the regular SAS and save myself some headache's.  :-[

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 06:16:11 AM »
That 4.0 will bolt in and be just like the 258. the crank sensor just needs to have a spot in the floor cut out.

Manitowoc WI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk