News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:04:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sx4 hinge pin help  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
Sx4 hinge pin help
« on: June 24, 2019, 01:52:31 AM »
I know this topic has been kind of covered. 82 Sx4. My lower driver side hinge pin needs replacing. There are two pins. Inner and outer. I removed the inner pin. It was bent. I straightened and reinstalled. Still droopy door. The outer pin will not budge.  Any ideas here? No one has mentioned there are two pins per hinge. The manual is worthless. Are the two pins only on sx4 hinges.  There were no bushings on the inner pins. And the outer pin looks the same. The inner pin is 4 inches long with a .032 inch diameter. The outer pin looks thicker.  Seems like the outer pin needs to be pressed out. Any advice is appreciated
82 SX4 258 w/ 2 inch lift 235 tires and TBI kit.

Offline Mitch

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 11

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: Sx4 hinge pin help
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 11:12:35 AM »
Thanks for the info.  This does help.  But I found two processes for installing the pin on here. One states to remove the door and the other states to replace with the door in place and advises never to remove the door since it will never be adjust as well as it was done by the factory.

Anyone have any tricks on removing a stubborn pin without removing it from the door. I did try some heat and no go.  The door has a lot of slop in it.  You would think the hinges would come right out if they are warn in the bushing.  I'm wondering if the entire hinge is bad.

Offline Mitch

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 12:38:43 PM »
I found it easier to mark where the hinge sat and remove it to replace the pin and bushings.
Prop the door securely before you start, though.
I need to do the lower one in my new SX/4 real soon.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 12:39:33 PM by Mitch »

Offline Mitch

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 12:43:10 PM »

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 06:52:26 PM »
that link has some great info.  I'm wondering if I should just buy the entire hinge and just be done with it. 

When i was going to remove the entire door, I removed all the bolts and thing thing didn't want to come off. The hinges look like that have some spot welds as well as bolted in place. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk