News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:47:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 3rd times the charm  (Read 10497 times)

Offline Mitch

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 11
Re: 3rd times the charm
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2019, 07:38:03 PM »
Probably a tie rod end but check the center link too.

Offline Ace2600

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2020, 04:24:12 PM »
Well fellas. Been a minute. Holiday hub bub is over. And now I'm starting to get some free time after school. On days I have off. The trans is out of the parts car. Now I just need the trans out of mine. And out the new one in. Any tips? Tricks? I'm worried about pulling the trans out of mine. I'll be working alone this time. So I'll be relying mostly on the internet to help me.

Offline Ace2600

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2020, 12:38:10 PM »
Transmission is hanging, crossmember needs to be unbolted from trans. Transmissions resting on a jack as it sits. Last to do is exhaust, and then bell housing bolts. Once out, seat gets removed, fixed and reinstalled. Then a tie rod, and then the heater gets figured out. Put a new set of tires on, and I'm golden!

On that tie rod issued, Its the front left tire, and the very front most tie rod, which part is that?

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2020, 08:02:54 PM »
Transmission is hanging, crossmember needs to be unbolted from trans. Transmissions resting on a jack as it sits. Last to do is exhaust, and then bell housing bolts. Once out, seat gets removed, fixed and reinstalled. Then a tie rod, and then the heater gets figured out. Put a new set of tires on, and I'm golden!

On that tie rod issued, Its the front left tire, and the very front most tie rod, which part is that?

The attached photo is of the passenger side front of an Eagle, but it is same setup with tie rods between both sides.

If you need more photos, I can get you whatever you need.

The Moog P/N for the inner tie rod is ES2107RL, and the outer tie rod is ES2016RL.  The threaded adjusting sleeve that goes between the inner and outer tie rods that is used to adjust your alignment toe-in is Moog P/N ES2032S.

Hope this helps --

Dave
Current Project: 1983 Eagle Wagon 258
Past AMC Project(s):  1979 Spirit Liftback 232
                                1968 Ambassador 287

Offline Ace2600

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2020, 11:11:34 PM »
Dave! That fitting on the outer tie rod. Is where it's all wiggly. Do I need to replace the outer?

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2020, 07:50:42 AM »
Dave! That fitting on the outer tie rod. Is where it's all wiggly. Do I need to replace the outer?

It would sound that way, yes.  I guess I am not sure what you mean by "that fitting".  The outer tie rod just has the ball-in-socket joint where it attaches to the cast iron steering knuckle, and the other side is threaded and screws into the adjusting sleeve.  At that location there is a kind of clamp that tightens the sleeve around the threaded portion of the tie rod.

If the ball-in-socket joint is wobbly or damaged, the outer tie rod needs to be replaced.  If just the clamp is bad, you would need to purchase the threaded adjusting sleeve which comes with new clamps.  Either way, you are going to have to get a front-end alignment to have the toe-in professionally set.

I know budget can certainly be an issue, but if budget is no issue, replace all the tie rods at the same time, inner and outer.  These are all wear components and all will eventually go bad depending on age and vehicle use.  You'd hate to just replace one tie rod, get an alignment, then have another tie rod require replacement in short order and make you have to get an alignment again.

The last part is strictly opinion, but hopefully this helps --

Dave
                                1968 Ambassador 287

Offline Ace2600

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2020, 11:11:54 AM »
Dave, Definitely the Ball in socket. Thank you!

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2020, 11:42:15 AM »
Dave, Definitely the Ball in socket. Thank you!

No problem!
                                1968 Ambassador 287

Offline Ace2600

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2020, 02:04:51 PM »
Hey guys, Quick update. New trans is in! Took a helluva lot of fidgeting, but she's in and cinched down tight. Now the hard part of hooking things up. Gotta buy the tie rod still, need new U-Joints. Question about the Throttle position linkage, or the "Kick down". Can anyone link an image of how it's supposed to look. The one on my car snapped, and the one on the parts car is jerry rigged. Anyone ever had problems there before?

Offline Mitch

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2020, 07:32:15 AM »

Offline Ace2600

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2020, 11:20:43 AM »
I left my buddy working on it let night, seems like a way we can jerry rig that little tin piece and the nylon wheel into working well enough with a couple welds and such. Ill keep you guys posted, and maybe ill even figure out how to post some :censored: pictures.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2020, 05:04:16 PM »
If wrongly adjusted it can tear up the clutches. I have first hand experience of that.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Ace2600

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2020, 07:06:14 PM »
Aw thanks mudkicker. Now I'm terrified!

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2020, 11:41:39 PM »
You could also come up with a cable operated kick down setup.
https://www.lokar.com/assets/instructions/INS0046-ChryslerKickdown.pdf
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline Ace2600

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2020, 11:13:59 AM »
Gonna be ordering parts shortly, ill just stick with the basic things. New U joints, and and a tie rod. Fun things will come once I'm sure this car actually runs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk