News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 12, 2024, 07:41:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Crazy guy with crazy dreams  (Read 7564 times)

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
Crazy guy with crazy dreams
« on: August 21, 2011, 12:58:32 AM »
I really want to convert one of my eagles to a 304 v8. Is there any hardware out there..motor mounts etc available for a job like this
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
Re: Crazy guy with crazy dreams
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 01:09:30 AM »
Most likely you will need to use the engine mounts out of a FSJ (Full Size Jeep).
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 01:26:10 AM »
I believe hyperegale made a kit for putting a V8 in an eagle that holds the front diff
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 02:09:49 PM »
Yes, search for hypereagle's engine mounts. One thing about the AMC V8, in stock form, it isn't much of a performer. With an edelbrock aluminum intake and a healthier cam, and some headers, it can be more fun. If you're looking for easier V8-like power, buying a salvage XJ with a 4.o and swapping it and the fuel injection is probably better than swapping in a stock AMC V8.

There is a SX/4 for sale in my area with a stock 304 already swapped into it. I passed it up because it was poorly wired, and the rear axle was blown doing a burnout, so the seller had a Jeep TJ D35 cobbled under there for rolling stock. The car had too many needs for the asking price, so I didn't get it, and picked up the blue SX/4 I'm currently restoring. After I finish the blue car and sell it, I might consider the V8 car, if its still available by then.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 06:22:08 PM »
There is a member here, who installed a 304 in his SX4 and was disappointed. He now has a 4.0L and is very happy with it. More power and better MPG.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 06:30:14 PM »
a 304 would make a great conversation piece that is for sure, but like everyone else says a 4.0 is the better way (or maybe a stroker)
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 06:41:10 PM »
I have both a stroker and a 304. No substitution for cubes or a 4 v carb also running true duals on both. Lots of work left on the v8. Also the v8 benefits from ca.3.50 gears. Versus 2.73 on the stroker.

Manitowoc WI

Offline hypereagle

• SX4! A car that's in a league of it's own.
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 11:40:35 PM »
I really want to convert one of my eagles to a 304 v8. Is there any hardware out there..motor mounts etc available for a job like this
You can see my mounts in member products along with some pics of a 360 that I had in my SX4 which I no longer have. It was all fun.
73 AMX/Javelin, 79 Spirit, 81 SX4, 87 Comanche, 02 Grand Cherokee Ltd, 86 2dr Cherokee, 70 AMX 390 4 Spd.

Offline mick

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 46
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 10:12:34 AM »
I have a 360 in my Green car with a Q-Jet.  It does not disappoint.  The power over the six is greatly increased.  4.0L are great as well, but nothing beats the sound of a V-8.  PEROID!

http://youtu.be/c7hR8TP1mC0
ALMOST A Jeep THING...EVEN I DON'T UNDERSTAND

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 05:07:30 PM »
I'll give you that, nothin sounds like a V8. I was gonna suggest at least the 360 since its more common/more available with all the FSJs out there. Just a lot of work to swap one, so make it worth while. No stock intakes allowed.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline mick

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 46
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 07:23:05 PM »
I'll give you that, nothin sounds like a V8. I was gonna suggest at least the 360 since its more common/more available with all the FSJs out there. Just a lot of work to swap one, so make it worth while. No stock intakes allowed.

I hear ya man.  Mine has a V-8 because it was already setup with a new xmember.  I wouldn't waste my time with a 304 either.  360 or 401

Offline mick

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 46
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 07:24:08 PM »
I had a stock '74 Javelin with a 304 2v that would put down three feet of rubber when it hit second gear. It was an automatic. No lack of power, I thought.

Sounds pretty healthy to me.

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 09:43:15 PM »
hey shanebo your not crazy your "diseased". >:D ;D ;D
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 09:47:20 PM »

I hear ya man.  Mine has a V-8 because it was already setup with a new xmember.  I wouldn't waste my time with a 304 either.  360 or 401
There is a 401 for sale for $600 locally. I AM SO TEMPTED!
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 01:02:39 AM »
Im already in the works converting the 83 to a 4.0 efi head swap....but....there is just somthing about the sound a v8 that no other engine can match...impracticle...yes...expensive...yes....awesom.... :censored: YES!!!

And youre right maddog...I have full blown bird flu...of the Eagle variety that is ;D...No cure for this disease Im affraid. 8)

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 01:05:01 AM »
Hey Hypereagle...what kind of drive train did you stick behind that motor...Im like a year off from getting this EFI build done so Ill have all winter to pour over the details for my next project.

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 02:29:31 AM »
And youre right maddog...I have full blown bird flu...of the Eagle variety that is ;D...No cure for this disease Im affraid. 8)
the problem is i think i have it to because i want a field as far as the eye can see full of Eagles. :P :help:
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline hypereagle

• SX4! A car that's in a league of it's own.
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 08:55:47 PM »
Hey Hypereagle...what kind of drive train did you stick behind that motor...Im like a year off from getting this EFI build done so Ill have all winter to pour over the details for my next project.
T5 trans and 207 transfer case from a S10 blazer. it did stand up to my surprise. Even the clutch which was smaller.
Had the largest clutch which believe it or not was from the 1.9L Isuzu. Think it was 9 11/16". The V6 were smaller. Price was right at the time. 2 transmissions and atransfer case for $200.00.  Had to modify release/throught out bearing support. The Eagle bell housing needed 2 other holes drilled and tapped for different bolt pattern of trans. Again ironicly there were boses on the bell housing exactly where the new holes needed to be.
The 207 is a part time dual range transfer case. Unfortunely with only power to the rear axles on dry pavement under hard take offs I broke 3 axles.
 The other flukey part of all this with the SX4 was I was able to use the rear drive shaft for the front. Great because it's some what bigger than the original front drive shaft. The fit was perfect.  Just pure luck.
73 AMX/Javelin, 79 Spirit, 81 SX4, 87 Comanche, 02 Grand Cherokee Ltd, 86 2dr Cherokee, 70 AMX 390 4 Spd.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk