News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:21:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: to use or not to use 4 wd  (Read 3345 times)

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
to use or not to use 4 wd
« on: August 29, 2017, 05:35:25 PM »
I just had my transmission rebuilt & torque converter replaced. The proprietor of the shop who was an AMC tech at one time asked why I drove into his shop in 4 WD. I told him I keep it in that mode since I don't drive it that much & want to keep things lubricated. He said that is a big mistake since my Eagle/transfer case was not meant to be driven on dry pavement. He finished the job & reaffirmed that my 4WD is working ok. I got the car back in 2WD & he advised me to keep it there. I didn't ask if anything over a 129 model is supposedly ok to drive on dry pavement. I know alot of fellows slide the collar over to keep it in 4Wd so this should bring about some thought.
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: to use or not to use 4 wd
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 05:44:38 PM »
Well, the Eagle sales lit says "the four wheel drive mode can be engaged indefinitely without excessive wear on drive components".   I personally only use 4wd when needed, because I have 200K miles on my transfer case, and viscous couplings are hard to find.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 06:55:05 PM »
Let the proprietor know, he's 100% wrong.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline JONAS78028

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 10:03:24 PM »
The front and rear driveshafts are not truly "locked" together like in a part time xfer case therefore it is perfectly acceptable to run in 4wd mode all the time.   The shop guy might have worked for AMC but that doesn't mean he knows 4x4 systems.   Although he should "get it" being a tranny guy and all...  ::)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 10:06:15 PM by JONAS78028 »
1983 Eagle Wagon 6 cylinder/Automatic 4x4

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk