News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 13, 2024, 11:39:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Years to Avoid?  (Read 6715 times)

Offline Hepar

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Years to Avoid?
« on: February 16, 2012, 02:32:12 PM »
Hello everyone.  I'm a new member and looking at possibly buying an Eagle at some point.  I was wondering if there were certain years or models that were best to avoid?  I tried doing a search, but couldn't find anything outside of what to check on one before buying it. 

Thanks. 

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Never thought i'd have one but know i always will!
Re: Years to Avoid?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 05:22:02 PM »
Any of them if you dont like working your rigs. I have a 86 eagle wagon it's only good if you have a big plans of upgrading the whole drive train. well i shouldn't say that the 4.2L is nice

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 07:28:42 PM »
All years are about the same, except for the '86 NP 128 transfer case, which can be easily replaced.   Some prefer the 1980 and some '81's with all-the time four wheel drive.  While others prefer the later shift on the fly 2WD - 4 WD.  The 1980 engine is thought by some to be a better motor as it has heavier crank counter weights and does not use a feed back carb.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Hepar

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 09:11:01 PM »
Thanks for the responses everyone.  I'm definitely aware that these vehicles don't exactly have the best reputation when it comes to reliability.  I just wanted to know if there were any glaring issues with some years over another. 

Offline JustinS

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Thief River Falls, MN
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 09:59:10 PM »
I don't think it's as much a reliability issue as it is an availability issue.  There hasn't been any new sheetmetal made for these in 25 years, the repair shops don't know what it is, and even the "parts pros" (mostly kids in spiffy uniforms) behind the counters think you mean a talon or vision.  The only reliable work has, for a long time, been your own or someone you know, and a lot of people don't have the adaptability required to properly maintain one of these birds.  I'm thoroughly grateful that I stumbled upon this great resource of both knowledge and encouragement!  Every day, I look on here, see the progress that other like-minded individuals are making, and I get an itch.  I can't scratch it yet, but I know that when I can, I will do a better job of it than if I tried to tackle everything on my own, unprepared.
Justin S.

-1972 Plymouth Gold Duter 225ci                     
-1974 Chevy Nova Hatchback SBC (Gator)          -1997 Dodge Dakota 5.2L (Red)
-1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 258ci (Seagle)                -1999 Subaru Legacy 2.5L (The Wife's)

Click for Thief_River_Falls, MN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 10:12:45 AM »
Just as reliable as any other US car from the '70's and 80's.  The latest Hemmings Classic Cars desribed our AMC 4.2 as probably the best off road engine ever produced -- by anyone!
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 12:09:20 PM »
Work or no work I love my Eagles.Don't care if anyone else likes it or not, their mine.They can be troublesome from time to time but then again so can my wife but I still love her too!
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline Hepar

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 01:20:22 PM »
Thanks again for the responses.  No stranger to turning a wrench.  Not sure when I'll get one.  Might be tomorrow, might be next year, but it will happen!

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 05:23:32 PM »
I'd say pre '80 and post '88 are the ones to avoid. :D
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 05:28:23 PM »

pre 80 really. tell me bout that eagle. haha

Manitowoc WI

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 05:37:18 PM »
Don't forget the post '88. You want to avoid those too!@
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 08:20:47 PM »
You beat me to it! 
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 01:08:59 PM »
In my opinion there aren't really any years to avoid but rather 'options' you prefer to avoid. Biggest issues that come to mind are the plastic valve cover, Carter BBD carb, vacuum disconnect front end, RUST, electrical gremlins(pun intended), and lastly the ignition system. Thru this website you'll find a boat load of upgrades for these cars.

I can honestly say that my '84 Eagle is just about the most reliable car I've ever owned. Only real upgrade is an aluminum valve cover. There's a Carter BBD carb w/stepper motor on the engine and the car will get 22+mpg all day long.
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 11:34:57 AM »
I will list one option that I would personally avoid.....power windows.  These are cable operated, and at these cars' ages they have a tendency to snap.  I have (personally) found them difficult to find, which in our cars' equal situation with A/C, can be maddening in the summer. (See my survey on working A/C)  Hope you find a great car though! They are a blast to own  ;D
My list of my cars/toys (or toys at my disposal!)

1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville
 1962 Cruisers Inc Mahogany Outboard

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 12:05:43 PM »
I will list one option that I would personally avoid.....power windows.  These are cable operated, and at these cars' ages they have a tendency to snap.  I have (personally) found them difficult to find, which in our cars' equal situation with A/C, can be maddening in the summer. (See my survey on working A/C)  Hope you find a great car though! They are a blast to own  ;D

I agree, I'd rather not have to worry about power options going out. But I have a solution for the power window cable issue.
See my solution here: http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=38752.0
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 11:27:51 PM »
well, if I could avoid any year, it'd probably be the '86 because of that odd-ball transfer case (that NP-128).  But you can swap it out for a 129 or something better.

I like the '85 because it's the first year that 'Shift on the fly' came out, and anything that was All-Time 4x4.

Someone once posted about the rear end axles 'busting loose' and there either was a common year, or a common batch that had issues with that.

I can't find the post, or the info.

Offline allend

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 08:04:21 AM »
all of them appear to be ok just as long as you keep up the maintance on them  and are a lot easier to work on than most of the newer models anyway.  just be careful and don't get on that is nothing but a rust bucket (especially on the frame).  I.ve owned mine for about 10 years now and have spent less on repairs than I have on my 2005 van.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk