News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 28, 2024, 02:16:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ECM Test bypass  (Read 6454 times)

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
ECM Test bypass
« on: June 18, 2011, 11:19:15 AM »
I'm looking to do the bypass on my 87, but can't find anything in the eaglepedia.  I have a 2150 carb conversion, so I don't know if the instructions will differ from the carter or not.  I'm looking for some clear and simple instructions with pics if possible.  I can't get this carb to run right and I think that might help.....

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
Re: ECM Test bypass
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 01:03:30 PM »
The eaglepedia page has a lot of errors in it. Basically, all you have to do is connect the distributor wires directly into the spark box. I think you may have to cut open your wiring loom a little. But all you have to do is run the purple wire from the spark box directly to the purple wire coming out of the distributor. Same for the orange wire.  Afterward you must set the timing immediately.

This site shows a few pics and a description.
http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/ignmods.htm
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 01:35:54 PM »
still having problems following these diagrams.  Do I cut the orange and purple wires coming out of the dist plug and then run a 12 inch wire to the orange and purple wires coming out of the ign. mod?  do I just cut the wires from the mod also and attach them to the wires from the dist.  I have nothing running to a loom to the drivers side fender.  I don't see anything on that fender, but my 87 has this module under the solenoid on the pass side.

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 01:37:13 PM »

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 01:39:07 PM »

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 03:38:51 PM »
according to the diagrams I sent ya purple to purple, orange to orange.  I bypassed mine by just installing a GM HEI distributor
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 06:09:08 PM »
the ford one was easier.  It was pretty much plug and play.  I didn't have to do anything to it.  I just bolted it on to the exact same spot, the wires/plug boots were the same, so I just plugged them in, and it fired right up.

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 06:32:10 PM »
the ford one was easier.  It was pretty much plug and play.  I didn't have to do anything to it.  I just bolted it on to the exact same spot, the wires/plug boots were the same, so I just plugged them in, and it fired right up.
there's that dirty 4 letter f word I don't like to hear :P the HEI was even easier IMO ..... 2 screws and 1 bolt  and like GMs wonderful logic of the K.I.S.S. system 1 wire ;D
1983 SX/4 SOLD

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Smitch

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 07:01:27 PM »
Try this article...it will explain as well as show you.
http://jeeps.hallbergs.com/ECM Test.htm

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 12:24:58 PM »
that website wouldn't come up, but I read about 20 different sites on how to do it.  I got up changed the fuel fitting, so my leak has stopped.  I then went orange to orange and purple to purple and the car started up.  I sounded a little different, so I let it warm up for another 10 mins and shut it off to get ready to do the timing.  I went red and black to the battery and the other wire went to the #1 plug wire. I removed the dist hose from the carb and I put a plug on the carb port and left the hose from the dist lay off to the side, then I loosend up the dist. bolt and went to try and start the car.  Now the car won't start, I'm doing this by myself, so I turn the dist a little to the left or right then I try to start the car each time and nothing.  I give up, I have no idea what I did wrong, they say after the bypass you have to set your timing, and thats what I was trying to do.  I will let it sit for a while and then try and start the car.  I don't see how I messed things up?  the car starts up fine, it just seems to have a high idle and maybe a high choke setting, also my tailpipes are getting black and when you shut off the car it stays running, stubbles then dies.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 01:06:16 PM »
@brownbear,

If you would, can you post the link on the best article that you found on this subject?  Smitch is updating the Eaglepedia, and it would be great if we could post the info.

I hope Smitch will chime in about this, if he needs it or not.

Thx.

Smitch

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 01:17:07 PM »
that website wouldn't come up,

I tried to repost it but it changes for some reason.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 10:08:37 PM by Smitch »

Smitch

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 01:19:01 PM »
Try hooking your vacuum back up and check the timing light connection to the plug and the plug wire. If it starts you can always remove and plug the vacuum line while it's running.

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 01:50:45 PM »
I believe doing the bypass automatically makes the timing go to 6 degrees ATDC. So that might be why it won't start. Maybe if you try turning the distributor a little to advance the timing, then try to start and then make final adjustments with the timing light.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 02:00:22 PM »
LOLOL, the first one on the Google search list is from the Eagle's nest!   :rotfl:

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 09:52:37 PM »
I have seen a post by IE somewhere that was saying how the guy who posted about the "test" didn't want his last name associated with it so the nest is programed to change it like a bad word
1983 SX/4 SOLD

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Smitch

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 10:05:48 PM »
That would explain it. Maybe I should delete any reference to his name from this topic,

PM me for the name if anyone wants to research it on the net.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 10:07:28 PM by Smitch »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk