News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 13, 2024, 04:56:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine coolant, battery light, and more...  (Read 7328 times)

Offline koalrus

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Engine coolant, battery light, and more...
« on: April 21, 2011, 09:17:31 PM »
Working on getting my recently purchased '85 Sedan on the road... And I have a couple of questions.

Background info: Just purchased her. Been sitting for god knows how long. Title issued 1/30/97 says 072,829 actual miles. It's sitting on only 073,919 now. Started right up with a new battery. I know she slowly, slowly leaks transmission fluid, and I've got the gasket for it, just need to put it on.

1) My battery light is always on, and I just put a new battery in it, and there are no noticeable problems yet... Any ideas?

2) Brakes need work (push to floorboard to stop), light constantly on. Where should I start?

3) Starting in Park, sounds fine. After shifting to any other gear, and then back to park, it seems to idle high. Constantly revving, like my foot is on the gas.

4) After running for 25-30 minutes today (mostly in Park), the plastic coolant container (pictured) was boiling, up to 7-8 minutes after shutting her off. The line running to the top of the container (pictured) was also shaking the entire time. Radiator very hot and a slight hiss coming from the radiator area this whole time. This is all well after the engine is completely shut off.

5) What is the best way to reattach "Eagle" emblems that have come off the hood and behind one of the wheel wells? One of the prongs from the hood one is broken off and lodged in the hole in the hood...

6) What is this? Haha. I know I'm going to look bad after this one...

Thanks in advance, everyone!

-Jesse
'85 Sedan

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: Engine coolant, battery light, and more...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 09:46:10 PM »
The last question is easy.  We affectionately call it the "squid release", to release any captured squid you have picked up over the years.  No, its the fresh air vent that allows cool air to come in to freeze your toes if you leave it open during the winter.

You have multiple issues inherent in any old car, regardless of mileage.  Your brake system needs to be looked at by those who know brakes.  You have an issue or issues somewhere in the system.  Is the master cylinder full?  If not, fill it and then see what happens. I am guessing, at the least, you have air in the system but probably leaks or bad components is the real issue.

Is the radiator topped off?  What does your temp gauge read when driving or idling for a while?  Any green fluid leaks?

We know your battery is probably fine.  Probably a bad alternator, or some bad grounds.  I am guessing the alternator, either a bad diode trio or the regulator within.

Idle and racing issues take time to solve as they can be either the carburetor or vacuum system issues, or both.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 03:19:43 AM »
1. You need a reman alternator, it is a very common one (Remy Delco S10), they are about $60.
2. Check brake fluid level, search for leaky brake lines (on top on rear diff) or leaky wheel cylinders, if no external leaks, than bleed the brakes. If this doesn't help, than the master cylinder is leaking internally (most likely, I think).
3. Check the high idle cam (toothed thingy) on the carburetor, you should be able to rotate that freely, it can be rusted tight.
4. Your engine is running too hot. Why? I don't now. Because of the very high idle and not enough cooling from the fan?
5. Yup, squid release ;D
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline LaGuardia

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 26
  • Now, that's what I call a ride !
    • Armati e Responsabili (sorry, only Italian)
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 06:14:27 AM »
Just adding some suggestions...

Battery light: probably Jurjen's right, you need an alternator, but - on the simple side - did you check out the belt ?
A car sitting that long develops many issues, and a dry, broken, loose or even missing (it happened) belt is among them.

Brakes: fill the MC, then bleed the system, then check fluid again. It's the first thing to do. Then you can worry about the MC itself. With the engine off, push the pedal several times: if it floors anyway the MC is shot, but if it hardens and eventually stops moving everything should be ok.

Coolant: I'd check if fluid is flowing freely in the circuit. Much likely you have air in the system, or maybe some clogged hose somewere: in both cases, coolant just doesn't do its job.

Idle: 2x what Jurjen said. Those tiny bits on the carb tend to freeze with time. Start looking there as it's the simplest thing to do. If it doesn't solve the issue, you'll have to deal - as IowaEagle says - with the magic world of vacuum ;)
"Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear".
Oh, really ? I guess that's why I need BOTH rear bumper corner caps now. Doh !

1981 4.2 Eagle Wagon LTD (Daily Driver)
2003 Toyota RAV4 (Wife's Car)
1985 Plymouth Gran Fury (Endless Project Car)
1997 Alfa Romeo GTV V6 TB (Not Running Now)
1994 Honda Helix CN250 (My Beloved Scooter)
1975 Honda 500 FourK (Can't Remember Where I Left It)
1985 Moto Guzzi California II 1.000 (New Entry)

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 06:21:27 AM »
So far, responses from Italy, Holland and the US.  What an international group we really are.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 06:30:00 AM »
I'll add a Canada response.
It's basically what everyone else said though.

I had no idea what the last picture was, but I came to the assumption it was a squid.. but then Iowa stated it was fresh air vent.. I'm glad I'm not crazy for thinking it looked like a squid though :P.

Everyone had good ideas though.. so I'm not going to restate them all..
If you hear hissing from the rad, it could be a slight crack [my old car has that problem when I bought it.. the owner let it overheat with a plugged rad.] I'd make sure the coolant is actually flowing.. Could be a seized thermostat..plugged rad.. kinked hose..etc

Offline koalrus

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 11:41:51 AM »

Boy, am I glad the belts were mentioned. Hadn't even crossed my mind. There is one missing coming off the alternator, and another missing from right behind the radiator fan. How do I size a belt to make sure I get the correct ones?

And no leaks that I can find besides the transmission fluid. And the temp gauge sat at the ideal temp the entire time I idled it. No smoke or anything.

The brake pedal does tighten up when not running. I'll be bleeding first and crossing my fingers.

Thanks again!

P.S. - My squid capture count is zero. What's the deal?  ;)
'85 Sedan

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 11:55:36 AM »
yup, your missing the alternator belt (accualy the air conditioner belt).  your local parts store should have the listing of your AC belt that you need to run the alternator (I know it's kind of a goofy design)
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 01:24:32 PM »
It looks like you have the same belt set-up a I have:

http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=18165.msg173363#msg173363
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline LaGuardia

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 26
  • Now, that's what I call a ride !
    • Armati e Responsabili (sorry, only Italian)
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 01:58:46 PM »
Never overlook the obvious... ;) Probably belts will solve 60% of your troubles !
"Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear".
Oh, really ? I guess that's why I need BOTH rear bumper corner caps now. Doh !

1981 4.2 Eagle Wagon LTD (Daily Driver)
2003 Toyota RAV4 (Wife's Car)
1985 Plymouth Gran Fury (Endless Project Car)
1997 Alfa Romeo GTV V6 TB (Not Running Now)
1994 Honda Helix CN250 (My Beloved Scooter)
1975 Honda 500 FourK (Can't Remember Where I Left It)
1985 Moto Guzzi California II 1.000 (New Entry)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 03:04:43 PM »
check your radiator cap. the rubber seals on them will get dry, and wont allow the cooling system to pressurize. then all the pressure just pushes coolant into the reserve tank. as it cools down, it slowly sucks the coolant back into the radiator. its designed to do that, but only after the cooling system hits between 13-15lbs of pressure. if the cap is bad, no pressure, so it will allow it to start boiling. when pressurized, a cooling system can handle higher tempurature before boiling.

Agreed cheap to just replace it

Manitowoc WI

Offline koalrus

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 11:52:41 AM »
Thanks again, everyone. I got that belt and put it on, and the battery light went off, the a/c is pretty cold, and, after actually driving it around for a bit, the coolant didn't boil. Still a minor hiss, but it sounded like it was coming from the cap. So I'll try replacing that first.

Can anyone get me a picture of the high idle cam? I'm not really sure what I'm looking for...

I appreciate everyone's help so much. You'll never know. I'm sure everyone's experienced it, but everyone just laughs at me around here.
'85 Sedan

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 12:05:24 PM »
I found a picture on image search:

It's the screw closer to the carb (top). The one further away (bottom, that's tuned in further) is the "curb" idle.

The Eaglepedia has the procedure for adjusting idle speed, but you need to have a tachometer and a vacuum gauge to do it. It doesn't hurt to work it by ear, though. If you're patient and don't mind some trail-and-error tuning you will get it pretty close. I did it that way for years.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 10:28:02 PM »
Thanks again, everyone. I got that belt and put it on, and the battery light went off, the a/c is pretty cold, and, after actually driving it around for a bit, the coolant didn't boil. Still a minor hiss, but it sounded like it was coming from the cap. So I'll try replacing that first.

Can anyone get me a picture of the high idle cam? I'm not really sure what I'm looking for...

I appreciate everyone's help so much. You'll never know. I'm sure everyone's experienced it, but everyone just laughs at me around here.

I hope its not us that laugh at you from the Nest!  We pride ourselves in treating everyone with respect.  None of us know everything and we enjoy learning from each other.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline koalrus

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 08:12:06 PM »
Thanks everyone. My dad helped me with the carb. I know we cleaned it all down really well. Other than that, I'm not sure what magic he worked, really. Haha. But it worked.

And the new radiator cap seems to be doing the trick!

As usual, all the help was greatly appreciated!
'85 Sedan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk