News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:23:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pre Heater Mount to Manifold  (Read 3353 times)

Offline BigBird

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Pre Heater Mount to Manifold
« on: August 23, 2018, 09:19:43 PM »
OK Here's the deal. I bought a new exhaust manifold for my '84 Wagon with the 258 I6. However, it didn't come with the parts that the preheater hose attaches to on the manifold so I will have to take the one off of my old manifold. It shouldn't be too difficult with a decent grinder but my question is this. How do I attach it to my new manifold? It looks like it is riveted on so I would like to rivet it to the new one. The holes don't go all the way through, can I still rivet it on to my new one? (maybe a newb question but I've never messed with a rivet gun)  :newbie:

Not sure if this is an exhaust question or if it is a fuel/air question so feel free to move if necessary.
'84 Eagle Limited (FatMan)
'82 Eagle SX/4 (LittleBoy)
'92 Chevy K1500 (Calico)
'03 Silverado 1500 (The Wifes)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Pre Heater Mount to Manifold
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 09:52:40 PM »
I am not sure if it is even a thing to worry about anymore. I dont think it helped any meaning. I had one out of several that actually worked, and never noticed any differance. Not alot of data to go on i know. Just maybe ignore that plug and cap it off?  I also would not grind a perfectly good many and maybe introduce an air leak.

Manitowoc WI

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 11:39:00 PM »
hi, if you're talking about the the coolant fittings, they are screw in, heat up and use a pipe wrench, and they will come out. or buy new from Stainless specialties. gz

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 10:43:04 AM »
I think he is talking about the sheet metal stove that has the hot air hose that goes to the air filter housing. you should be able to use pop rivets to attach it with just make sure they are not longer than the holes are deep, otherwise it will rattle

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 12:08:05 AM »
oh, ok, I just did that as well. Yes, grind off rivets, and drill/tap new manifold for screws. I think I used 6/32s. good luck, gz

Offline BigBird

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 10:31:35 PM »
Just got it done yesterday. I didn't think to take some pictures before I put it in the car but I will try and sneak my phone in there. (I think it looks great btw)

I ground off the rivets and sand blasted the shroud..... stove?  :-\ Then hit it with some flat black 500 degree Duplicolor. I ran out of time so I asked the machinist where I work if he would mount it up for me. all he did is find 3 screws that were just threads bigger than the holes and screwed them in. No tapping necessary I guess but the whole thing is rock solid.

Just to clarify, the manifold I ordered is Dorman 674-237.

The only problem I ran into is the intake manifold gasket didn't clear the exhaust manifold so I had to do some trimming. I was careful not to trim it too far because I wanted to make sure it would still index on the alignment studs in the head.

Well before I posted this I decided to go out to the garage and snap some pictures. Can't manage to post them as they are too big. Not sure how to shrink them so I will post them when I figure it out.
'84 Eagle Limited (FatMan)
'82 Eagle SX/4 (LittleBoy)
'92 Chevy K1500 (Calico)
'03 Silverado 1500 (The Wifes)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk