News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:46:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1985 Eagle Sedan Fleet model project  (Read 30437 times)

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
Re: 1985 Eagle Sedan Fleet model project
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2017, 10:08:40 PM »
Put about 200 miles on the Eagle over the weekend. Ran amazing. After its warmed up it starts a little tough. Have to crank it over for a few seconds before it fires up. There are also options in the computer to adjust the "cold start fuel enrichment" and "cranking fuel enrichment" Ive been playing around with that a little but it starts every time so still happy about that. The other thing I noticed is the voltmeter on the computer shows Im running like 11.4v down to 10.2 volts during operation. Was thinking I need a more powerful alternator. Mine is brand new but with the fuel pump and computer might need more charging power.
When I take a voltmeter directly to the battery when the car is off I was seeing 12.7 so might just be a bad reading on the computer's part.

Its the EZ EFI kit from FAST. They have a "jeep" version but I got the other version. Same thing but has 4 injectors instead of the 2 the jeep version has.
Jeep version also comes with a adapter plate for the stock intake manifold. Since I have the offy intake I didn't need the adapter plate.

What I did was just leave fuel injectors 3 and 4 unplugged and in the start up settings said I had the Jeep version.
So if I want I have the capability of 4 injectors if I ever put it on another motor. The guys at FAST said this was the way to do it with that kit and the 4.2. 4 injectors are a bit too much I guess.

For about $300 more you get their fuel system.  Lines, filter, pump, fittings. I decided to build my own system. About $100 more and you get better parts and you get to choose what goes in. Maybe overkill but I set it up with all stainless braided line and AN fittings a nice fuel pressure regulator from Fuelab and a Walbro fuel pump.

The kit with the better touch screen and newer version of the throttle body is on sale for $899 on Summit and eBay stores. This is over half off from the normal price and seems to be selling out. Im guessing they have overstock or are coming out with a newer kit.  Well worth it and a  suprise to get it at that price.   

I was driving it all over the city today. No problems. 

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2017, 10:59:53 AM »
EFI kit still exceeding expectations. Im heading on a long road trip to MI tomorrow and one of the days Im there we are going to check out Silver Lake Sand Dunes. Going to take the eagle even though I know it will be worthless on the hills with the 2.35 gearing I can at least roll around the shoreline and check out some of the rigs out there. Some crazy stuff the weekend of the 4th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LldSUJoYxRg

I did a little more work to the eagle.
roof mount for the spare but not the biggest fan of it up there I found out so in the trunk for now.
Untitled by T A, on Flickr

added electric fans, a suprisingly noticable gain in engine performance, stays cooler in traffic and stand still also

Hood louvers, took some guts to make the first cut and not sure if Ill regret it yet but there they are.

Prefilter

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2017, 01:58:17 PM »

Well dunes were fun. Could manage but gearing needs to be swapped. On Thursday I broke a front axle two tracking through the woods. Luckily my friend brought one up to the cabin from Chicago a couple days later so swapped that out and continued on. Prob about 500 miles over all I think, plugs are still fouling from burning oil after running it hard on the highways for 4 hours straight. Engine should be broken in by now so Im thinking there are some oil issues related to the head. Ill keep driving it anyway. Next step after gearing and susp. might be a stoker build.   
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 02:05:56 PM by TEagle85 »

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2017, 05:18:22 PM »
Such a cool Sedan!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline bradd04

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2017, 05:35:42 AM »
Nice ride! Would love to have an off-road Eagle.

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2017, 04:13:35 PM »
Wow!  Makes me happy I'm not the only one pouring money into their Eagle.  Or breaking axles, for that matter!
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2017, 04:30:02 PM »
"Pouring" is a good word for it. I figure worst case scenario it can all be moved to a jeep. Think Im done putting money into it this year though. Might rebuild some differentials over the winter.

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2017, 12:22:04 PM »
The Eagle has been well.   Now that winter is here Im ready to get some new Differentials under the chassis because that 2.35 is killing me.

I have a set of stock differentials from a Eagle. 3.31 gearing,  which is about where I want to be.   Want some climbing, tire turning , passing abilities but at least be able to roll 65mph on the highway.

Now I can do 75 mph at 2100 rpm.

If I can keep the rpms under 2600 at 65mph and have low end there Id be happy.

So. The front 3.31 I have I will rebuild and match to the rear.

The help I need is picking between or rather being pushed one way or the other in differential selection.

Ive been doing some reading and seems my best choices are at Dana 44 (too expensive/ hard to find i hear so thats out)

So that leaves a Chrysler 8.25 or the Ford 8.8.

I really like the idea of the ford 8.8 but really dont like that they are a inch shorter on each side and that may be the deal breaker. I am already running 1in wheel spacers on the rear to get what I want in stance. I do like that they are everywhere and a common swap with tons of info. Plus they have discs on most.

Other option being a 8.25 from a 97 or newer cherokee. which Im leaning towards because of the width.

Ultimate plans are a 4.6 stroker, 727 or other trans/ T-case swap.  Id love to rally cross this car someday. I know the purest will hate me but Id love to strip this car down, roll cage, etc.

What do you think, suck up the width issue for a much stronger diff with the 8.8

Or go for the 8.25?

I should note, grinding and welding are no problem and disc brakes would be great too.
Anyone know of drive shaft issues with either swap?
another thing to consider but I can have a shop take care of that also so not a deal breaker.
Tire size on there now is 235/75/15
998 trans with lockout converter

Thanks Everyone!

« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 12:23:48 PM by TEagle85 »

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2017, 04:49:37 PM »
Think I made up my mind.  Im going to run the Ford 8.8 with 3.55 gears.
Tons of those axles around, bullet proof for the eagle., Disc brakes for the rear.
Its 1in shorter then the dana 35.   So Id have to run 1.5in spacers for now and hope to correct a bit more with offset when I get new rims.

Only thing I need to look into is if I can put a 3.55 in my 3.31?

Once I go over 3.31 Do I need a new carrier?

Im sure Ill find out before someone replies. Not sure if people follow this but I will update with the rear diff swap.

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2017, 12:15:39 PM »
from what I understand, is the carrier is the same from 2.71 up to 3.55
of course that's only what I have read here on the forum not first hand experience

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2017, 03:17:01 PM »
I'll be following too.  I did a big trip recently, and the 2.35's are the weak point for me.  I'm also running 235/75/15's, but I don't have the fuel injection so my power is likely lower than yours.  I've been considering 3.07's, so I'm curious what made you choose the 3.55's.

Here is some math I did for 3rd gear speeds at 2600 RPM with different gearing:
  • 2.35 at 2600rpm is 95mph.  Yeah, right.  With my current setup I can get up to 80mph max - only if the road is dead flat.  That should be around 2200rpm.  With the stock gearing though, low 70's are MUCH easier to hold. 73mph at 2000rpm is the current "sweet spot".
  • 3.07's would be 73mph at 2600rpm.
  • 3.31's would be 67mph at 2600rpm.
  • 3.55's would be 63mph at 2600rpm

I'm jealous that you have some Eagle axles that are not 2.35's.  I've been looking and those are tough to find!
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2017, 03:36:55 PM »
I ended up pulling a 3.55 from a 2000 ford explorer on Wednesday.  They had 24 Explorers in the yard 95-01 So there were plenty. I plan to go back and pull a limited slip carrier from another one out there soon. the whole axle disc brakes and all cost me 1.5 hours and $118.

As for the gearing I'm just trying to find a balance of offroadability and drivability. 3.08 would be my other choice since I do tend to do more Highway.

My trans has a lockout converter so I have the 3 gears but once over 45-50 the converter locks and Im 1:1 ratio. So almost like a 4sp.

I think with the 3.55 I should be ok moving 65-70 without RPMS too high. At least until I get a updated trans down the line.

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2018, 10:45:12 AM »
Finally getting around to the differential rebuilds. I dropped the front Dana 30 off at the shop to rebuild from the 3.31 to a 3.08.  The guy is having a hard time finding a ring and pinion for it and I thinks its only because of the AMC Eagle confusion. I mentioned Ive seen a ton on eBay and to check it out. Am I wrong?  Can I put a 3.08 in the front? A 3.08 is going on the rear Ford 8.8.

Also if I were to order the ring and pinion myself from summit or eBay anything I should take notice of? I saw options for short or long shaft, high and low pinion.   I have a feeling this thing will somehow end up in the shop for months lol,   Luckily I can still drive the eagle with the current differentials.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2018, 05:45:54 PM »
You need a Dana 30 low and long pinion gears set. They were found in Jeep CJ's also.
https://www.justdifferentials.com/Dana-30-Nitro-Ring-Pinion-3-08-Ratio-p/d30-308-ng.htm
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2018, 07:04:05 PM »
Thanks a ton!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk