News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:49:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NOS part number for choke thermostat? 86 258  (Read 684 times)

Offline 86Woodgrain

• Administrator
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
NOS part number for choke thermostat? 86 258
« on: November 23, 2022, 08:50:53 PM »
So I rebuilt my carb 2 years ago, new choke thermostat, new choke pull-off, full rebuild kit. Once I installed it it ran perfectly even in winter, for that first winter and then next summer.

Fast forward a year later the carb started running rich and awful in cold, I've bought 2 brand new aftermarket choke thermostats and still have issues in winter. It runs fine when warm. I finally broke down and ordered a generic manual choke cable kit which I will install to just be able to move on and drive the car in winter, while it's warming up.

I got to thinking though... if I could find a new NOS old stock OEM original choke thermostat I would be willing to buy it and try it one last Hail Mary before switching to manual choke. My preference is to use the electric choke but I've given up. I wonder if the thermostats I got on RockAuto & eBay were a generic fit somehow and the Carter BBD / Eagle one was a little different spec in terms of the actual spring?? I already know I have 12V at the wire, etc. and I have a thread on that already, this new thread here is just for the part #.

Does anyone happen to know the correct OEM / NOS part number for the correct choke? I'm in Canada if it matters (not high alitutude, not Cali). I will look on eBay if I have the right part #. Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 08:53:46 PM by 86Woodgrain »

Online MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
Re: NOS part number for choke thermostat? 86 258
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 09:33:14 PM »
I'm only seeing the one listed on RockAuto which is the SMP CV195. Cross-references with P/N 8133455.
Are you sure the shaft that goes through the back of the electric choke housing isn't sticking? As it got cold this year I noticed the same where the entire choke assembly and linkages on both side of the carb were free moving but it seemed like it was very slow or not opening the choke at all. The shaft was gummed up and binding.

Offline 86Woodgrain

• Administrator
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 09:34:48 PM »
I could take it apart, I have no idea if it's sticking. I'm just so tired of dealing with choke issues. It's too bad because it runs wonderfully when warm. I remember you saying something about that. I'll head back to that old thread...

Offline 86Woodgrain

• Administrator
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 09:38:09 PM »
Since I posted this I've been Googling about chokes. Want to make your head spin? Look at how many choke thermostats are available at Summit racing -- https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/choke-kit-components/choke-kit-component-type/choke-thermostat?PageSize=100&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Default

Online MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 09:41:43 PM »
You can try taking the heater off and flooding the shaft on both sides with carb and choke cleaner. You might be able to wash whatever is giving you grief out.
Those thermostats are just a bimetallic coil that tightens up or loosens out as it heats and cools. They rarely go bad but even a good one isn't strong so the shafts and linkages have to be clean with no lubrication.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 09:44:23 PM by MIPS »

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2022, 01:10:20 PM »
J8133455 is the correct thermostat part number.    I'd also try to re-adjust everything per the AMC IS-12e Service Letter.   If you don't have a copy, I can email you one.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7