News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:53:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Upgrading Alternator to CS Series?  (Read 839 times)

Offline Jobflobadob

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Upgrading Alternator to CS Series?
« on: November 12, 2022, 02:50:12 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone on here has done the CS130 or CS144 alternator swap to their 258 powered eagles, my brand new 10SI does not cut it with subwoofers. I am really liking the CS144 amperage curve at low rpm. however I have heard the CS130 will swap right into the brackets if you use the proper one. My eagle has the factory York AC compressor, and the alternator mounts under that, and I am having a hard time finding info if the CS130 really is a drop-in with the conversion harness. If I have to modify brackets, I will likely go the CS144 route, but I prefer the easiest route.

Offline Jobflobadob

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Re: Upgrading Alternator to CS Series?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 05:16:34 AM »
To answer my own question, the cs130 alternator is a drop in for my 1980 Eagle with AC. The alternator I purchased was for a 1990 5.7L Corvette, which had the ears 180 degrees apart with the same bolt spacing as the old 10si. They share the same alternator pulley shaft size as well, and it was very simple to swap the v-belt pulley from the old alternator. There are many aftermarket alternator connectors that will allow you to simply plug the alternator into the old wiring harness, however I will never run the factory alternator again and will be cutting the factory connector off to solder on the CS130 pigtail. I have read that the alternator excite wire needs between 30-510ohms to start charging, and I'm hoping the factory charge warning light will work, but worst case scenario, I can always add the resistor from my electronics pile. The factory 10 guage wire will not suffice, and I will be upgrading it to 6 guage minimum, with a 150 amp mini ANL fuseblock.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 05:28:37 AM by Jobflobadob »

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • that noise? that ll go away.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2022, 10:27:28 AM »
Nice, good to know
83 eagle wagon 4.0

Offline Mr_Roboto

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 07:44:11 PM »
Just for future reference the bolt in PN is a 1989 Pontiac Safari Alternator with a 307. Goes right in, you clip the ends off your harness and wire on a new pigtail and you're done.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk