News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 04:17:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hot air does NOT shut off!!!  (Read 952 times)

Online Still Pat

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
Hot air does NOT shut off!!!
« on: August 23, 2022, 02:39:18 PM »
Hot air will not shut off (NOT fan, air temp.). Replaced valve under hood, STILL hot! Old valve WAS bad, corroded/stuck. Can slide the controls on the dash full range. IF just low freon, should I at least feel a temp. change? My ankle is getting baked!!
'83 AMC Eagle wagon 258/auto.
'84 AMC Eagle sedan (4 door) 258/auto.
PREVIOUS AMCs:
'72 Gremlin X 304/3 speed
'81 Eagle Kammback 258/4 speed (Purchased new)
'82 Eagle wagon 258/5 speed (Ordered new, traded Kammback)
'86 (I THINK) Eagle wagon - BlackBird 258/auto. (Got hit/totaled)
'83 Eagle wagon - White Eagle 258-auto. (Front subframe was rotted out - sold for parts)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Hot air does NOT shut off!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 04:40:11 PM »
the cables might move but are they connected to the flap door?

Manitowoc WI

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 05:14:07 PM »
Is vacuum present at the coolant valve when the controls are switched to COLD?

Online Still Pat

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2022, 01:12:38 AM »
It's been a couple years, but I SEEM TO recall it having vacuum. I can't say for the door, I didn't check it.
PREVIOUS AMCs:
'83 Eagle wagon - White Eagle 258-auto. (Front subframe was rotted out - sold for parts)

Offline Illeagle1984

• Manic Mechanic
  • Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2022, 07:26:27 PM »
The valve is normally open, allowing coolant through like MIPS referred to.  Just start the car up and switch it to hot.  Look at the valve.  Then switch to full cold.  The valve should have moved and shut coolant flow off to the heater core.  You can check the stubs between the valve and firewall, they should be cool(er) with the valve shut.  The head unit switches the vacuum on and off, there's about 12 feet of potential problems right there.  I have also seen new 'old car' parts like this that simply don't work out of the box.  The diaphragm may not hold vacuum, might have been sitting so it froze up, etc.

Could try to clamp off the heater hoses and see if it changes; quick and easy if you have a suitable tool.  Gentle use of vice grips...
It's getting crowded down here:
1973 Ford Mustang "Rustang"
1984 AMC Eagle Sedan "IllEagle" 183k
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon "Eagle 2"
1996 Cadillac Eldorado 178k
1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 239k
2002 Cadillac Eldorado Doral Edition
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 179k

Online Still Pat

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 09:26:36 PM »
The valve is normally open, allowing coolant through like MIPS referred to.  Just start the car up and switch it to hot.  Look at the valve.  Then switch to full cold.  The valve should have moved and shut coolant flow off to the heater core.  You can check the stubs between the valve and firewall, they should be cool(er) with the valve shut.  The head unit switches the vacuum on and off, there's about 12 feet of potential problems right there.  I have also seen new 'old car' parts like this that simply don't work out of the box.  The diaphragm may not hold vacuum, might have been sitting so it froze up, etc.

Could try to clamp off the heater hoses and see if it changes; quick and easy if you have a suitable tool.  Gentle use of vice grips...

Good idea! I have a couple pairs of the plastic ones for fuel lines. They should be great!
PREVIOUS AMCs:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk