The Shop > Question and Answer

Kammback vs Gremlin Suspension

(1/2) > >>

vangremlin:
I have a 1972 Gremlin and a 1981 Kammback, which is basically a 4WD Gremlin.  However, the ride quality between the two is totally different.  The Kammback rides very smoothly, the Gremlin is rough and I feel every bump.  The Gremlin has all new steering and suspension components, including leaf and coil springs while the Kammback is pretty much all original, except for the Monroe shocks in the back with springs on them.  I used to think the Gremlin's ride was harsher because of the short wheel base but it must be something else.  Did they change the suspension as the Gremlin evolved into the Kammback?  Thanks!

rollguy:
It could be that the Eagle is a heavier car, and riding on older (softer) springs. I would think that new springs and suspension parts might give a stiffer ride. I am no expert, just thinking out loud......Rich

vangremlin:

--- Quote from: rollguy on August 17, 2022, 05:08:05 PM ---It could be that the Eagle is a heavier car, and riding on older (softer) springs. I would think that new springs and suspension parts might give a stiffer ride. I am no expert, just thinking out loud......Rich

--- End quote ---

Thanks Rich!

AMC of Houston:
What RollGuy said.   Also; does the Grem sit high in the front?   I've seen that "harsh ride" symptom sometimes with new springs.  If it sits high, due to the angle of the upper control arm, the suspension will transfer more "bang" to the fenderwells thru the upper control arms when you hit bumps.  If the upper control arms are more "level", that energy is absorbed by the spring rather than transferred to the body.

I put some new springs on a friends Falcon a while back -- had to cut a coil and a half out of them to get the thing to sit level and ride correctly.

vangremlin:
Thanks for the response.  The first set of coil springs I put in the Gremlin did make the front sit up too high compared to the rear.  I replaced them with springs for a 6 cyl (my Gremlin has a V8), it does sit pretty much level now but I didn't notice a change in the ride quality. 

I probably should focus on the leaf springs, that seems to be where the ride is pretty harsh. 

Did AMC make any changes to the basic suspension components as they moved from the Gremlin to the Spirit to the Eagle?  Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version