News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• December 09, 2022, 05:13:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine too cold  (Read 171 times)

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 32
Engine too cold
« on: November 18, 2022, 12:34:02 AM »
I'm trying to find the receipt from the shop when they reinstalled my engine but I swear it mentioned that they installed a new thermostat.
Now that we're below 0c during the day I'm noticing that the car is awful at keeping warm. Normally I'm out in the morning, unplug the block heater, crank it and I'm off and by the time I'm on the highway the needle is halfway up and then the thermostat opens and everything's happy.
Now I hit the highway and I'm another 3 or 4km down the highway before it reaches 1/4 up the gauge, then the thermostat opens and starts regulating the coolant temperature barely above the C on the gauge. The heater is weak and defrosting takes forever.
The engine isn't getting hot enough. At this point the TAC switch is pulling intake air over the exhaust stove but the exhaust manifold is cold enough that I'll pull up to my first light ten minutes later and the intake air temp is still too cold for closed loop. You have to sit there for a minute or two hot soaking before it satisfies and drops the RPM's. Sometimes if I'm puttering around town and not loading the engine it gets cold enough again the engine will drop out of closed-loop and kick the idle RPM's back up until it's warm.

What was the OEM temperature rating for the '82 model year?

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 79
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: Engine too cold
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2022, 12:56:57 PM »
According to the manuals, should have a 195-degree thermostat.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • that noise? that ll go away.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2022, 12:58:42 PM »
I think 195 is stock, so it sounds like they put in a 160 or something. For an interrim fix, some cardboard in front of the rad would help.
83 eagle wagon 4.0

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 79
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2022, 04:58:46 PM »
Could just be a junk Chinese replacement T-stat.   Chinese junk is, well, Chinese junk!   Some of my local car club pals have had trouble lately with replacement T-stats.  I turned them on to the Robertshaw-style high-flow T-stats; which seem to be a bit more reliable IMHO.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • that noise? that ll go away.
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2022, 11:06:10 PM »
Yeah dont ever cheap out on thermostats, especially when the best ones you can find are around $10. A couple years ago the cheap chinese thermostat that the """motorcraft approved""" rebuilder put in my trucks engine 15 years ago snapped almost completely in half, the engine overheated and cracked both heads.
83 eagle wagon 4.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk